It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision reduces HIV risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Circumcision reduces HIV risk

Source Link: news.yahoo.com

LONDON - Scientists say conclusive data shows there is no question circumcision reduces men's chances of catching HIV by up to 60 percent — a finding experts are hailing as a major breakthrough in the fight against AIDS. Now, the question is how to put that fact to work to combat AIDS across Africa.

The findings first were announced in December, when initial results from two major trials — in Kenya and Uganda — showed promising links between circumcision and HIV transmission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
A 60% reduction in HIV transmission rates is pretty sig. IMHO. I don't think we will ever get that "majic bullet" that cures the disease, but we may see progress by gradually whittling down the risk factors

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You can't take it with you when you go, circumcision means you can't even keep it all while you're here.

The discussion of whether someone should be a helmut or an anteater has been a long one and continues to this day. Even I have my reservations about the procedure.

Still, Selling it to a whole continent as a way to cut down on AIDs will take some work. Many in Africa think the west created AIDs to destroy the black race. Now we come along and say, "We just want to cut off a little bit of your...."

It will be a tough sell indeed...

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Dont quite understand the corelation between the added risk of getting HIV and having a 4skin but who am I to judge.

Anyway I know who I would rather have in the car if your stuck in the desert and the Fan Belt breaks......

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ummm. What happens if you were OVER circumsized?

Just kidding. Um, I think this is pretty interesting. Before this I didn't really see the point.

AAC

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
A what? An 'anteater'?
Okaaay then . . .

I think it's pretty amazing that someone thought to do a test on this. I wonder if there will be an increase in circumcisions because of this?

top topics

join