It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the government's motivation to keeping UFO data secret?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redfish
What about NASA. Does anyone really think they wouldn't trumpet the discovery of life, signs of life, or any other finding the moments it was confirmed?

There have been NASA employees, even astronauts who have publicly stated either seeing UFOs or being told about extraterrestrial life coming to this planet.

Joseph Walker was a test pilot for NASA who made a public statement that he was ordered to film UFOs while on test flights. He claimed he indeed filmed some. The films have never been shown to the public.

The late astronaut Gordon Cooper claimed to have seen UFOs and claimed government coverup conspiracy on the subject.

Retired astronaut Edgar Mitchell has stated in public that other government personnel have told him the 1947 Roswell event was a real UFO crash and extraterrestrial bodies were recovered.

Why would a government agency cover up the subject? Because they are an agency of the government. Pretending that there is no life coming here or to be found elsewhere in space is NASA's unstated job.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Why would the shepards give sheep knowledge on how to escape life on a ranch ? thats what our cities are. Macrocosm of a sheep ranch.

They do not want us free. We are feeding them. The alien are too advanced to use us for food, so they decide to use us for making corporations rich. The control them. They love the wealth too. The luxury, the vanity. They love what we lust for I bet. Consumerism is what these off worlders care about. Now you might ask yourself? who are these offworlders?

Im a big David Icke fan and I learned all this from him. Now these offworlders may or may not be HUMAN. IT could be that we were around since before the dinosaurs and the dinosaurs also evolved a humanoid species with intelligence equal to ours. The ape bloodline was defeated by the reptillian one. Maybe the reptillians humanoids were here first and the ape primates after?

We all see statues gracing egyptian architecture of reptile men. Serpents who gave the apple of knowledge to the ape man. Or neantherthal . They seem to have been here first but we dont know for sure. There are too many scenerios to speculate on.

The fact is that one of these 2 bloodlines controls us. Perhaps it is human homosapien men in these UFO's. Maybe the Reptillians are so advanced they can appear to look like us. The fact is that Earth is a genesis planet if its not the Reptillians. If it's the humans that are the ones coming here from other planets, then earth is not where man comes from. After all. Man is a short nickname for Humanoid. And Humanoids can be anything. As long as your standing on 2 feet and have one head and 2 arms. I advise everyone to listen to Mary Sutherlands radio show on BUFO radio.

[edit on 2/22/2007 by StreetCorner Philosopher]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I don't think the governments of the world know too much about the phenomena. After all, U.S. government officials in particular are notorious for leaking classified information about a great many covert operations. We hear about this on the news all the time. So why hasn't someone of conscious anonymously shipped a component from a recovered craft to the Washington Post and/or to M.I.T.? Stories abound about the Central Intelligence Agency hiding evidence, working with E.T.'s, silencing witnesses through intimidation. Yet the CIA has not been able to bump off Bin Laden, got their analysis wrong re: Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq and seem to not be able to get rid of the insane Iran leader with a convenient accident. (Thereby heading off a conflict where thousands more U.S. sons & daughters could perish.)

Every year there must be people dying who have worked on some of these Super Secret UFO/Alien projects since the 1940's. Yet from their death bed, no secrets are being whispered at the last moment.

The more I read in this particular ATS forum, the more I'm starting to lean towards UFO's being real, but with the Governments of the world being being in the dark on exactly what they are. You can't have literally thousands of military and government officials see and handle actual evidence for 60 years without something SOLID and TOUCHABLE making it's way into the mainstream world. Is this a sensible and logical conclusion, assuming the many historical reports are factual?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
I don't think the governments of the world know too much about the phenomena. After all, U.S. government officials in particular are notorious for leaking classified information about a great many covert operations. We hear about this on the news all the time. So why hasn't someone of conscious anonymously shipped a component from a recovered craft to the Washington Post and/or to M.I.T.? Stories abound about the Central Intelligence Agency hiding evidence, working with E.T.'s, silencing witnesses through intimidation.

You're assuming the media isn't colluding with the government. Yes they report on UFO sightings from time to time, but when do you read stories about the media investigating government cover up? You would think that this subject would be so grand as to require daily massive media coverage. When you do find media investigations on UFOs, you ususally read of them making one or two calls to government agencies that deny everything and then they give up citing the denials or silence. If the story is so important, filled with so many credible witnesses and credible incidents why do they quit? Because they're being told to.

You're also attributing incompetence for possible criminal behavior. There is no greater cover for governments committing crimes than to claim they erred.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

The more I read in this particular ATS forum, the more I'm starting to lean towards UFO's being real, but with the Governments of the world being being in the dark on exactly what they are. You can't have literally thousands of military and government officials see and handle actual evidence for 60 years without something SOLID and TOUCHABLE making it's way into the mainstream world. Is this a sensible and logical conclusion, assuming the many historical reports are factual?

The continued lack of definitive physical evidence available to the general public is the biggest problem with trying to determine who is keeping secrets about what. The best we as ordinary slobs can do is try to sift through the disinformation and extrapolate from questionable public data, including eyewitness reports, photos, videos, etc.

Because we can see UFOs and take an occasional photo or video of them, they probably exist in some way that we can understand and they interact with us on a "normal" level of reality.

With the military essentially being in the business of looking out for and responding to possible threats, it's a reasonable supposition that they've had much more direct contact with these things. They probably have hours of gun-camera footage, satellite images, and radar information on these things.

Because the military has had (and likely still does) active orders to acquire anything that leaves anything physical behind, it's possible they may have pieces of these things sitting in vaults somewhere, being scrutinized. More or less complete craft? Alien bodies? Maybe, although I personally think something that big would be impossible to keep secret. Something on a smaller scale, though...

There's also the activity of these UFO things themselves. One possible explanation as to why they're so good at keeping out of the public eye is that they are able to move through time in such away that they can "plug the cracks" before they become problematic. Crashed ships or other artifacts are recovered before they're lost. The only hope of retaining any UFO artifacts, then, is to minimize the number of people who know about them, so that it doesn't raise a red flag to the pre-recovery team. That will automatically limit the military's ability to study these things and find out what makes them tick. So the government has limited information, and are not able to use their full resources to completely figure them out.

One recurring bit of information (disinformation) that strikes me as having the ring of truth is that the recovered materials offer few if any clues as to how they function. Metals are a bit purer than ordinary, but nothing special. Propulsion systems don't have recognizably active components. Control systems suggest some kind of link between the pilots and the ships, but nobody can figure out how it's actually accomplished. Completely baffling.

This seems true to me because I'm of the opinion that few people understand that when dealing with these alien things, people don't think nearly "alien" enough. Way too many people just think of aliens as creatures as essentially like us, that fly around ships that are basically advanced versions of what we already fly, that use physics and mathematics with which we are already familiar. I think those are mistaken assumptions.

So what we have are the government and military, who have a few bits of evidence - not much more than you and I have - but very little understanding about them. And rather than admit their own ignorance about UFOs, it's much better to keep it a secret, and wait until research and chance give them better information.

Just some speculation. Difficult, if not impossible to verify unless you're on the "inside," than maybe not even then. Deception and secrecy run deep, because they work so well.

[edit on 23-2-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Way too many people just think of aliens as creatures as essentially like us, that fly around ships that are basically advanced versions of what we already fly, that use physics and mathematics with which we are already familiar. I think those are mistaken assumptions.

[edit on 23-2-2007 by SuicideVirus]

Too true.What could we offer say,Neanderthals?

The wheel?How do they harness it to an ox?They have no understanding of leatherwork aside from "skin critter and wear the fur,now you're warm"

A generator and an air conditioner?What happens when the generator runs out of fuel?Are we gonna explain fossil fuels to them while we're here?They have no infrastructure in place to make use of any electrical appliance.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Why keep a secret? ok take a topic far less difficult for you to believe in, consider the issue of arm/weapons exports. How often do you see anything about that topic covered on the new? How AWARE are you about that subject?

If you are like most americans, I would be your awareness of the issue of arms exports is next to nothing. And why is that? Well for one, it is in the best interest of weapons manufactures, nuclear weapons manufacturers for one, to keep that issue under the radar. How is it done?

GE is a manufacturer of nuclear weapons, owns nbc. The people that manufacture and sell weapons to countries abroad, own the media.

So what?

Think about this if you were a weapons manufacture and you owned media, wouldnt you want to do as much as you could to get the public to believe there is a reason to go to war? Wouldnt you use your media company to influence opinion as much as possible in that direction?

I respect your scepticism, but not everything you read on this forum is bunk. Some of it is very valid. This one issue for example requires no faith, just some independent research. Give it a go.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   

What is the government's motivation to keeping UFO data secret?

We can only speculate but that's impossible to answer. We don't know what kind of contact or agreements the governments have with the aliens and we don't know what kind of pressure the aliens may have put on the governments to keep things quiet. There could have been threats made that we don't know about.

That's my speculation - threats from the aliens to the governments. 'if you talk about us we will destroy you' ..

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
but inwardly believe that governments only have our best interests in mind, and only keep secret matters of national security - not matters of human importance. I certainly agree though that the world is a disgrace and that some kind of change will need to be forced upon the PTB.

I don't think that the government has the interests of its people in mind. If so, the Australian Government would instantly bring our troops home from Iraq. They should provide quality education and health care for the population, instead of spending billions on war machines and salaries for an army that would barely be able to defend the country from itself.

And in terms of protection: sure, practically it's more likely that you will be put in harms way by a fanatical religous zealot than you are by an alien. But generally speaking, the religious zealot will not be able to attack you with any means that you can't defend yourself. Generally speaking, we're all at the same level of technology. If we're talking about a threat from a much more advanced race, then the threat is as much larger as the race is more advanced.

If the threat of danger from a superior alien race is much larger - and I agree that it would be, then you couldn't consider it to be a threat. You can fight against a real-threat and hope to win, but you can't win against an overwhelming, superior force that has technology beyond any reasonable defence. I hate to think the ease with which the aliens would be able to exterminate us, should they choose to do so.

Some pretty big assumptions need to be made to assume that 'If they wanted to attack us they would have done so by now'. Not least of which: the assumption that they only want our planet. Do you think the ripening peach on a branch says to itself 'If those humans wanted to eat me they would have done it earlier, when I was small and easy to carry'?

No, in fact I don't need to make any assumptions at all that we don't need to be protected from aliens.

If they want us, then they could cleanse us at a whim. You just can't protect against that, so why bother? Spend the money where it would be more worthwhile and cut all military funding. Spend the money on asteroid deflection to try and save us from a threat that we can fight and hope to win! There's no point perpetuating an arms race, or even pretending that we could go toe-to-toe against a superior alien civilisation in combat.

There's far too many militant people on this planet, it has to stop somewhere.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
if you admit to your people aliens exist, you also admit you can't protect them.

Protect us from WHAT?

you know exactly what.
Invasion.
Take-over.
enslavement.
Being turned into a breeding cow.

You can't be serious.

How are you, or any other government, or any other person on the planet going to protect us against those threats? The idea that we could even hope to stand up against malevolent aliens (that have mastered space and/or time-travel) is rather arrogant.

If they want to invade, they will. We'll be killed. We might take a cruiser and a few fighters with us, but we'll die.

If they want to take over the planet and keep us as slaves, then that's what will happen to us.

Breeding cows? Sure why not, provided they send me a few young Nordic females, then I'll give it a go.

There is no protection against what you listed. We're open for abuse if they feel like it. The fact that we are still around and killing ourselves suggests that they have better things to do than squash us like ants.

What do you suggest? Divert trillions more dollars into defence budgets to develop a beam/energy/laser weapon to take down a few of them before they eventually win anyway? Couldn't the trillions of dollars be better spent on hospitals, schools, aged-care, water desalianation plants, solar energy stations, exploratory space probes, clean food production, etc...?

There is no point trying to protect us from an alien threat. We're doomed if it happens. Sure, I'll fight to protect my family with a rifle. I might even put a dint in the outerhull of their battle cruisers if I'm lucky, before I'm fried/blasted/splattered.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
To suggest that mankind isn't ready for contact or can't grasp the technology of an advanced race seems like a false arguement. We are self aware. A cockroach has no sense of self.

Take a guy like Stephen Hawking. He grasps concepts that make my head spin. I've have read his books, but still, it's like showing a monkey a telephone. The monkey can pick up the handset, push some buttons, but there is no real understanding of the concept of talking on a phone.

As far as society not being ready for the message from another civilization, the 1950's were the golden age of science fiction. Very little written today does not in some way reflect on concepts written about then. We were and are ready. It is curious how UFO's sighted in that day and age reflected car designs of the time - lots of chrome and tail fins. I wonder if television plays a role in what we see out in the sky?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan
In either case it's up to the aliens as to when they make themselves known.We can jump up and down and demand disclosure all we want..it's just not a decision a human can/will make imo.

But we can jump up and down and demand disclosure, even if the aliens have or have not been able to communicate.

Disclosure does not necessarily mean that we want proof of aliens. Disclosure can also be that we want to see all of the government secret documents that are being withheld from us on aliens and UFOs. Dig through the archives, find all of the boxes and tip them out for us to study. No more lies.

Humans can make those decisions. For some reason, the select few in charge are not allowing it to happen. I despise their decision as a slap-in-the-face for any open, democratic process where a government is meant to be 'for the people'. We're controlled to accept that it's ok to be lied to by governments.

What right does another person (elected official) have to think that they should have exclusive rights to sensitive information like UFOs, over the common person on the street? All men are most certainly not born equal. If the basic charter of human rights is not taken seriously by the government, then what hope do we have?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Humans can make those decisions. For some reason, the select few in charge are not allowing it to happen. I despise their decision as a slap-in-the-face for any open, democratic process where a government is meant to be 'for the people'. We're controlled to accept that it's ok to be lied to by governments.

You think ppl who may be aware of this have a say in whether or not they land in Tianamen square and say howdy,or stay anonymous?

We're not controlled to accept that,we rebel when we can't handle the status-quo.Western populations aren't rebelling now because we have it the best it's ever been.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

To suggest that mankind isn't ready for contact or can't grasp the technology of an advanced race seems like a false arguement. We are self aware. A cockroach has no sense of self.

What if there is a concept beyond the self?..*shrug* I don't know but given a million years I think we'll have trouble recollecting primate level communication.Why can't we talk to dolphins?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

You think ppl who may be aware of this have a say in whether or not they land in Tianamen square and say howdy,or stay anonymous?

I'm not entirely certain what you are asking me?

Which people are you typing about? What are they aware of? What do you mean by landing in Tianamen Square?

We're not controlled to accept that,we rebel when we can't handle the status-quo.Western populations aren't rebelling now because we have it the best it's ever been.

What aren't we controlled to accept? Something landing in Tianamen Square? I really don't understand what you mean.

'The best it has ever been' I disagree. I have to lock my doors at night. I have to watch every word I say at work for fear of litigation. I live in a world where an accident is not an accident, it is always someone's fault. I live in a world where someone can be found innocent of a crime in a law court, yet be sued for damages in a civil court? Where police who are kicked and bitten by protestors are then investigated for excessive baton use? Please explain the logic of that to me? I watch daily media reports of trillions of dollars being spent on war each year while children starve.

I live in a world of religious friction and tension that is likely to drag the whole planet down. Even more confounding to me is why a Christian School gladly enrols Muslim students when there is an Islamic School across the road. Even more confounding to me is why strict Muslim families would want to send their children to a Christian School when there is an Islamic School across the road! It's crazy! People are willing to die for beliefs, yet conveniently forget them when it suits!!!

I can only hope that an alien presence will rock the foundations of all that we hold dear. We're corrupt.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

'The best it has ever been' I disagree. I have to lock my doors at night. I have to watch every word I say at work for fear of litigation. I live in a world where an accident is not an accident, it is always someone's fault. I live in a world where someone can be found innocent of a crime in a law court, yet be sued for damages in a civil court? Where police who are kicked and bitten by protestors are then investigated for excessive baton use? Please explain the logic of that to me? I watch daily media reports of trillions of dollars being spent on war each year while children starve.

I live in a world of religious friction and tension that is likely to drag the whole planet down. Even more confounding to me is why a Christian School gladly enrols Muslim students when there is an Islamic School across the road. Even more confounding to me is why strict Muslim families would want to send their children to a Christian School when there is an Islamic School across the road! It's crazy! People are willing to die for beliefs, yet conveniently forget them when it suits!!!

I can only hope that an alien presence will rock the foundations of all that we hold dear. We're corrupt.

I think it's all relative to the times you live in. I was watching a PBS special last night about the history of Central avenue in Tampa, FL. My father in law grew up near there, and my wife and I are natives to the area. I think everyone knows the history of segregation in the South, and Tampa was no exception. It was just strange, relative to this day & age to see the signs that were posted there in the 1950's. it funny though, in the pictures, people looked happy. Back then, that seemed like the norm, I guess. It wasn't right, and some brave men & women stood up and worked for change. We look back now, and think "Wow, what a terrible time that was". Didn't Australia have issues with the past treatment of the Aboriginal people of that continent? In my limited reading, it seems that the native people of Australia had/have a rich culture and understanding of the world around them. Point being, we have advanced a long way as a society. We still have a long way to go, but I like to think we are making some progress. I guess I am an optimist, but with two little boys, perhaps that is how you have to be.

As an aside, I don't think I have ever really mentioned what I think of all this, I just posed the question.

Does the government know something - no, they are too disfunctional.

Is something going on - I hope so. The universe would be so much more interesting than it already is if there was someone else out there.

Is Dick Cheney an alien plant - Yes.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I'm not entirely certain what you are asking me?

Which people are you typing about? What are they aware of? What do you mean by landing in Tianamen Square?

Scroll up,we were talking about aliens.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

'The best it has ever been' I disagree. I have to lock my doors at night.

Huh?..tell me a time and a place you would rather be,where your kids are safer and you have life easier.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Mmmm.

1) Because knowledge is power and ignorance is an ATS poster

or

2) They don't know themselves that there really is such a phenomena.

or

3) There is no such thing as UFOs, so there is nothing to keep secret.

Really though what is a UFO?

Taken to the generalisation of a vehicle operating beyond mankind's performance parameters, it could be that the various governments don't have enough information. Maybe they are too embarrassed to admit that there is something they know nothing of?

"High taxpayers. There are these um things and we don't know what they are or what their intention is but um eer.........."
What would be the point?

I am becoming closer to 3). These objects have supposed to have cropped up since bible times. Back then they had the decency to communicate and show themselves to people unable to comprehend what they were.

So here we are thousands of years later and they are rarely seen and the only interaction seems to be anally probing lonely hillbillies. In thousands of years they have not advanced to actually sitting down for a chat down the pub but examining the rectums of some sad lonely people? Don't sound like they have advanced that much to me.

So where are they now? The only interaction are these hillbillies etc? I think that the hillbillies have really had their ringpiece stretched by a peripatetic homosexual and have been traumatised into imagining an alien medical to cope

Lets hope the aliens have heard of Vaseline

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I don't think the governments of the world know too much about the phenomena. After all, U.S. government officials in particular are notorious for leaking classified information about a great many covert operations. We hear about this on the news all the time. So why hasn't someone of conscious anonymously shipped a component from a recovered craft to the Washington Post and/or to M.I.T.?

I guess you must be unfamiliar with the Disclosure Project, presenting insider accounts from all sectors of government including communication transcripts, radar data and designer sketches.

Never seen the radar data from the Belgian ufo flap?

Stories abound about the Central Intelligence Agency hiding evidence, working with E.T.'s, silencing witnesses through intimidation. Yet the CIA has not been able to bump off Bin Laden, got their analysis wrong re: Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq and seem to not be able to get rid of the insane Iran leader with a convenient accident. (Thereby heading off a conflict where thousands more U.S. sons & daughters could perish.)

Nice try. Of course, anyone of minimal education knows that the Central Intelligence Agency is itself maintaining terrorist cells for geopolitical purposes. Bin Laden, if still alive, was an American agent. He never changed sides, as the 'blowback' myth wanted us to think.

Anyway, the C.I.A. and other intelligence agencies (Navy, Air Force, D.O.D.) are indeed covering up the existence and reverse engineering of crashed ufos. And yes, many have died for that.

Every year there must be people dying who have worked on some of these Super Secret UFO/Alien projects since the 1940's. Yet from their death bed, no secrets are being whispered at the last moment.

Actually, there have been numerous 'secrets' whispered before insiders passed away. Philip Corso is probably the main example.

I guess you must be unfamiliar with the Disclosure Project (bis)?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join