It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the government's motivation to keeping UFO data secret?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Looking through these different topics, one common thread I see is that the "government" wants to keep all information about "XXXXX" (you fill in the blank) from us. It could be UFO's, ancient civilization on Mars, structures on the moon, an engine that runs on water instead of gas - the list goes on and on. Many people seem good at coming up with reasons that the government is doing this - either to enrich themselves, or allow aliens to have access to our DNA, or just to keep "the man" down. Dark and scary stuff. This is the same government that can't write clear, understandable tax code, employs egocentric, self diluded individuals who would sell their grandmothers down the river for a turn at the trough, and basically avoids creating any real, posistive legilation.

Would the revelation that UFO's exist, and ancient technology is present on the moon stop conflict in the middle east? I doubt it. The middle east is so stuck in ancient feuds and conflicts that it seems self innihlation is their true desire. Will it stop out "leadership" from sticking it's nose where it is not desired? I doubt it - we seem to be unable to disengage from our desire of nationbuilding.

What about NASA. Does anyone really think they wouldn't trumpet the discovery of life, signs of life, or any other finding the moments it was confirmed?

I just don't see the motivation. I was curious where the majority of folks here stood on the topic of governments role in all this.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
$$$$$ . Boatloads - more than you could possibly imagine of it.

Well, immense power too.

The altruistic side of this being that if any of these new exotic technologies were released wholesale our collective econmies would certainly collapse due to the huge industrial vacuums it would cause. That is, if these guys holding it back give a crap about such things. If they care about what happens in the long term, the big picture.

The evil side of it is control. Control, money and power. To control the direction of our government, maybe even the path of humanity. Certainly to hold the public as technological hostages for as long as possible.

If this is what is happening, NASA is a joke. A very very expensive front, facade to appease the publics eyes and to divert from what is really happening just under the surface of our government and its agencies.

Then again, I may be full of it....who knows?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redfish
I was curious where the majority of folks here stood on the topic of governments role in all this.

Just my opinion, in terms of UFO data there are two plausible possibilities-

1) The "government" has no idea and will not admit it.

-OR-

2) There's no such thing as an "unidentified" flying object and it's all terrestrially based supersecret technology that the PTB will not admit to having.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I read that - money and power. But to what end? What needs and desire could a person have? Perhaps it's my personality. I don't understand the drive to be super wealthy. I can't imagine what motivates a Bill Gates to get up every morning and go to work. I would be too busy planning fishing trips with my boys, or working on my car (well, cars if I had his cash). What exists in this world that he couldn't buy if he turned in his 2 weeks notice at Microsoft?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
After some careful consideration, allowing for the fact that everyone tries to rationalize their own motivation in the best possible light, I would have to conclude that the "reason" has to do with the preservation of civil order.

As I've posted elsewhere, consider for a moment what would happen if Anti-gravity technology, derived from alien spacecraft, were to suddenly be made available.

Great News, you's say. An end to wars for oil and air pollution!

But just think about how many jobs in our current Civilization are related to the production, transportation and processing of of oil just to be used as fuel!

I'm not talking about jobs just in the US, or any one particular country for that matter; the truth of the matter is, the current Global economy is largely based on Oil and its products. And oil for fuel is one of the primary components of the global oil-based economy.

Take that away, and you risk a GLOBAL economic meltdown!

And a simple fact of life in our civilization is that economic instability usually leads to political instability; and THAT usually leads to war.

So we are faced with the dire possibility: Alien existence proven. Technology transfered (Anti-gravity technology in this case), or at least proven to be possible. Massive economic flux as a result of new paradigm, leading to global economic collapse. Global political structure de-stabilized as a result of major economic collapse.

Global war.

End of civilization.

Cockroaches rise to power.

If You were in a leadership position, would you be willing to risk the end of civilization just so everyone could fly to work like George Jetson?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I think....supposing for a moment that there is intelligent life and that our Government(s) have been contacted or have captured/found alien technology, or not?!....

1. Technology advanced enough to get to Earth from "somewhere else" would probably be way ahead of what we have? So, there's a damn good reason for one Government to keep it to themselves, if they know about it.

2. Votes are won and lost on the whim of ordinary people. Maybe the Government has some evidence we don't know about, but not quite enough to be absolutely compelling? Or maybe they don't want a mass panic?

3. There's some kind of negotiation going on between aliens and our leaders? X-Files plots go here!

4. They know as much (or little?) as we do and although they are convinced, don't want to stick their necks out to say as much.

5. They know as much (or little?) as we do, but don't believe it's anything worth worrying about.

6. There is no life out there other than us.

There are probably lots more possibilities.

Grey

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Why does anyone keep anything a secret?
To try and maintain a strategic advantage against potential competitors.

The government is no different than any person or business in that it is in competition with others for scarce resources, and any information your competitor knows about you could be used against you. So it's never a good idea to let a competitor know everything you know, or conversely, everything you don't know.

Regardless what they say, various highly specialized divisions of a number of branches of the government involved in national security have an ongoing interest in UFOs, since these things may in some way be a threat. There is probably a version of MJ-12 somewhere out there, and maybe more than one, working independently of each other.

It's my opinion, and only my opinion, that the U.S. government has over the past several decades acquired quite a bit of knowledge about UFOs, however, they still remain extremely ignorant about a very high number of vital, key aspects of the phenomenon and the things themselves.

I don't know to what degree their knowledge or ignorance extends... and that is exactly the point.

The mere suggestion that the U.S. military may be in possession of highly advanced technology derived from alien sources is one more consideration that other superpowers have to consider when contemplating direct conflict. The last thing they need is for a fleet of U.S. Air Force flying triangles impervious to counter-attack to zoom in and level their government buildings. Does the U.S. military have this capability, which would only be used as an absolute last resort? Maybe, maybe not. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have "Brand X" consider it as a possibility.

If the U.S. government and military "came completely clean" about UFOs and what they do or don't know about the things, it would do nothing to help them maintain the illusion that they have superior knowledge, which is worth quite a bit when someone else is always testing their weaknesses and vulnerabilities with an eye on exerting some power or threat over them.

So while the Robertson Report might go on about the population's possible social reaction to finding out the "truth" about UFOs (whatever that may be), a more simple, practical reason for keeping your mouth shut is to not let the other guy know how smart or stupid you are.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
If You were in a leadership position, would you be willing to risk the end of civilization just so everyone could fly to work like George Jetson?

Yes, I would.

The way we're spiralling to chaos, it won't be long before we undergo a major crisis as a species, anyway.

Planet Earth needs a shake-up to knock the fundamentalist zealots on the head. Disclosure is needed - now.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Oil is going to end at some point anyway (unless you believe what some propose - the planet is constantly manufacturing more).

Beside, more advanced technology only created MORE demand for good and services, not less. I invent the anti grav hover car, who is going to work on it? You ain't putting it up on jack stands and draining out the oil. It creates a whole new industry. Look at the new hybrid cars. There isn't much under the hood that reminds me of my 94 stang.

I suppose the back in the 1800's, all of the horse shoe guys were sitting around talking about the automobile was going to be the end of the grain based economy. With ethanol, it looks like its coming back full circle.

I accept the fact that the military develops technology in concert with private industry, and we are frequently in the dark about it. It seems to take away from the ability man has to think critically and solve complicated problems to say "oh, this technology was reverse engineered from alien tech".

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ding ding ding, you win the $64,000 question award!

My guess is as follows...

1) UFO technology- These ships have been seen since mankind recorded history. They ARE NOT our making, although we may have them now from reverse enginering. My guess is the energy source would ruin big business, thus our economy would crumble. Also, you can't "tax" free energy ;-)

2) Religion- Unfortunately "Greys" are not really addressed in the bible ;-) The religious sytem would crumble and you would have all kinds of nuts worshipping little green men thinking they are "God"

3) Maybe, just maybe, that is the way it's done in most other worlds. For whatever rhyme or reason, the aliens insist on remaining undercover, yet playing a secret part in our world, be in technology, DNA, health, or...experimenting. Sightings could include rogue alien species just being curious, a "teenage" alien out taking dads saucer for a cruise, or people here on earth playing around with their own developed technology.

Bottom line is no one can answer that question 100%. We are all along for the ride. If aliens wanted to be known about, I don't believe our government could keep that from happening. So, one must assume that there is a reason the aliens have for not going public.

Find that reason and you're sure to answer many questions we all have.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The reason the government keeps UFO secrets is because they feel they have to. They have communicated with the aliens before and struck bargains with them. The people in high places know that the aliens come from undernieth the earth and were here long before mankind. I would not doubt that the aliens have told them that if the deal is ever broken and they are revealed for what they really are, then the world would pay dire consiquences.
Disclosure is coming very soon and no government will be able to stop it. But believe me when I say that the repurcutions of it will be monumental.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

So we are faced with the dire possibility: Alien existence proven. Technology transfered (Anti-gravity technology in this case), or at least proven to be possible. Massive economic flux as a result of new paradigm, leading to global economic collapse. Global political structure de-stabilized as a result of major economic collapse.

Global economic collapse from highly useful new technology?
When was the last time that happened?

Quite the contrary, we'd have a huge burst of economic activity and later prosperity, favoring technologically advanced nations.

Can you imagine the profitability of anti-gravity-employing construction equipment?

The capital class with the money made money when the big money was to be made in let's see, whisky, guns, railroads, (1800's), electric utilities (early 1900's), radios, automobiles, (1920's), aircraft, television (1940's 1950's), rockets, teletype, satellites (1960's 1970's), PC's (1980's 1990's), Internet, ipods (2000's).

The US DOD is the worlds biggest consumer of petroleum. You think they might like "free energy"? And no more kissing up to Saudis? You betcha!

Great new ET technology in antigrav or free energy (who says ETs have free energy anyway?) would make people, and connected people, very very very rich. Lockheed, Boeing and GE are going to be the ones making warp drives.

My conclusion is that the government does NOT have useful antigravity or free energy. If there are interacting with ETs and this stuff exists then all they have is stuff made by ET which they can't replicate, and so is economically useless, unless we open trade relations and just buy it (which could be cut off at any time). And if the condition for that slavery or abductions and DNA transfers, then maybe it's a good idea to say "no".

[edit on 22-2-2007 by mbkennel]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megadeth
The reason the government keeps UFO secrets is because they feel they have to. They have communicated with the aliens before and struck bargains with them. The people in high places know that the aliens come from undernieth the earth and were here long before mankind. I would not doubt that the aliens have told them that if the deal is ever broken and they are revealed for what they really are, then the world would pay dire consiquences.
Disclosure is coming very soon and no government will be able to stop it. But believe me when I say that the repurcutions of it will be monumental.

Hey man, I'm down just as much as the next guy to talk about conspiracy stuff, but what you have done is stated matter of factly "how it is". There is a lot of stuff on the net that says we struck deals, traded tech etc. Most of the people that have said that have been found out to be frauds though.

For whatever reason, it is the way it is. We as a people here can only guess and throw out our opinions on why things are the way they are. To state something as fact, in this topic especially, is right up there with saying green M&M's make you horny ;-)

Even if there is a "disclosure", rest assured it would have so much spin on it we'd forget about the aliens and be chasing some other aspect of the conspiracy. I have to add, I don't think ANY disclosure is near, or will ever happen. Lets face it, these things have been around at least 5000 years. The only thing that I could seriously consider as a reason for something to happen, is if in fact the human population really is on the path of no return when it comes to pollution and global warming. These beings must have some type of vested interest in our planet, otherwise why be here right?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Two words;

FREE ENERGY!!

This technology will set us free. They can no longer control us by controlling oil. They would no longer make billions of dollars in profits each year from oil and from the wars that surround oil.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There is a chance that some of them could actually be classified projects, projects we could all be part of. What i mean is that a live test of an terrestrial UFO could be undertaken to determine its true stealth ability for example - what better testing grounds are there than densely populated areas with the millions of people? No matter how compelling the evidence if a project is classified (my guess is) it remains classified. I wonder if this was the case for O'hare?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
After some careful consideration, allowing for the fact that everyone tries to rationalize their own motivation in the best possible light, I would have to conclude that the "reason" has to do with the preservation of civil order.

As I've posted elsewhere, consider for a moment what would happen if Anti-gravity technology, derived from alien spacecraft, were to suddenly be made available.

Great News, you's say. An end to wars for oil and air pollution!

But just think about how many jobs in our current Civilization are related to the production, transportation and processing of of oil just to be used as fuel!

That's a very conservative, read pessimistic view of humanity. As if our world is bent on continuing this petroleum-based economy until it hits the wall.

Introduction of clean technology is a good idea, in any case. The reason UFOs are being kept secret is simply because the cynical and selfish ideology of oil-addicted power seekers doesn't allow it to come out. These political circles are too frightened to loose power. More particularly, they're afraid of other countries/races becoming competitors to the western hegemony.

That's the reason why UFOs are covered up. A deep lack of trust in a coexisting human race.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
Hey man, I'm down just as much as the next guy to talk about conspiracy stuff, but what you have done is stated matter of factly "how it is". There is a lot of stuff on the net that says we struck deals, traded tech etc. Most of the people that have said that have been found out to be frauds though.

I've read similar theories in the past about us trading technology or something else with an alien culture. What I can't grasp is why (if they do exist) a technologically advanced civ who can travel from goodness knows where to our planet would want our technology? Wouldn't they be so far ahead that our so called cutting edge advances were effectively useless?

I'd be more inclined to think they are altruistic enough to want to help us, or they are looking for a conquest, or we are trading some other commodity that they don't already have access to. Or something else I'm too tired to think of right now?

Grey

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The one thing that really gets my grey matter working overtime is the thought of humankind trading with aliens. In order for trade to be possible there has to be some form of common ground for both parties - an understanding of each other. The closest thing i could relate to it in terms of my knowledge of human history was something along the lines of the old Celtic bartering system, pre-Roman times goods/services would be exchanged as money did not exist.

This concept of intergalactic trade would mean that each side would know a fair bit of knowledge of each other, enough to understand wants/needs and customs. As Grey_Pilgrim stated above - its difficult to understand exactly what needs would an advanced civilization would have want with our technology, perhaps our goods have a collectors or rarity value?

[edit on 22-2-2007 by freeradical]

[edit on 22-2-2007 by freeradical]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What I find curious about the "secrets" kept about aliens and such is that people always seem to note that the "government" is keeping the information from us. But why the government? Did they really land on some farmer's land and come down their ramp and say "take me to your leader."?

Keeping it secret for the reason that it'll destroy religion seems somewhat plausible, but why would countries that are officially atheist, like China, keep it secret for that reason? If anything wouldn't they want to disclose to discredit religions to weaken nations where religion is an important part of society? And, just from a probability standpoint, it seems logical that UFOs would be far more likely to come down over a huge country like China than a tiny group of islands like the UK, a country that seems to have just as many sightings/interest/conspiracy theories about aliens as any other (despite being a rather small geographically.)

And with all the things the different governments of the world disagree about, it seems strange that all of the hundreds of governments would be able to agree to keep such information secret.

As a sidenote, as I see everyone calling for government disclosure I really believe that for as many people that believe the government is keeping ET contact covered up, even presenting ET standing next to Tony Snow for a live press conference would have just as many people claiming, "That ET is just to throw us off from all the secret government aircraft tests!" It's either that, or the government just shrugs and says, "well, we really just don't know what's going on either way," which is more or less where we're at now. A no-win situation for the disclosing government, wouldn't it be?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
My guess is two parts:

1) The fact that we will always have enemies in this world, and the fact that we would hold such advanced technology to ourselves puts us at an advantage. Always holding the wild card of technological superiority is paramount for the egocentric military industrial complex to keep a stronghold on this.

2) We as humans are so paranoid to begin with, if there was any leak of information that some sort of life form had visited this planet, the govt is convinced that panic and anarchy would ensue. To avoid each and every scenario, we are strung along in our mundane lives believing whatever they tell the media to make us believe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join