It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Does anyone know what this could be?

mysterious green cantaloupe-sized metal ball with an unknown firing device, found in 2005 by GIs and a freelance journalist in Mosul, Iraq, is confounding weapons experts trying to pinpoint its origin.

Dubbed "Mystery Weapon 2" by Iraq-based journalist Michael Yon, the orb was found under a barn among a weapons stockpile that was later destroyed by the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment.

"If there's anything that, honest to God, could have nefarious overtones, it's that, because nobody was able to tell what it was," Yon said.

FOXNews.com in cooperation with Yon last week published a photograph of a weapon of unknown origin that was believed to be either some sort of rocket-propelled grenade launcher or a mockup. It, too, was found in the Mosul cache.

www.foxnews.com...

x08

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
looks like some kind of coconut~ don't know... after the last 'weapon' found from the supposed mosul cache, I have little hopes...

any idea who this 'michael yon' is??

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It looks sort of like some weird mine IMO. I never saw the pic of the first mystery weapon. Do you have a link for that?"

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackCash
It looks sort of like some weird mine IMO. I never saw the pic of the first mystery weapon. Do you have a link for that?"

Sure, here is the link to the 'Mystery Weapon I' mentioned in the above aritcle. The one described here looks to be some kind of grenade launcher or something. Whatever it is, it is much different then the 'Mystery Weapon II' from the above article.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tke1046

Originally posted by JackCash

Sure, here is the link to the 'Mystery Weapon I' mentioned in the above aritcle. The one described here looks to be some kind of grenade launcher or something. Whatever it is, it is much different then the 'Mystery Weapon II' from the above article.

www.foxnews.com...

That looks like a piece of PVC, with a stock, handle and sight attached to it. It looks fake to me, but yes I would agree that the overall look and design brings to mind an M203 grenade launcher.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Looks like some kind of mine or grenade to me.. oh wait i know what it is, remember that movie with Charlie Sheen where he is a Radio Astronomer that contacts aliens. The had a weird, spherical device, that when activated would suck everyone and everything into it..
I think we found one..

Edit: The movie im referring to is The Arrival

I have to say this for the people that are wound to tightly.. I am only kidding lol..

[edit on 23-2-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
its a cannon ball

bellsouthpwp.net...

with a borman fuse

www.iglou.com...

www.horsesoldier.com...

or something very similar

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   

its a cannon ball
bellsouthpwp.net...
with a borman fuse
www.iglou.com...
www.horsesoldier.com...
or something very similar

Ah the shocking truth! Thanks for clearing this up, now i don't have to ponder its origin or purpose.

Review of that FOX article:
What it is = -10
What it isn't = -10
Overall analysis = .5 (identified as weapon +.5 points)
Waste of time = +5
Ultimate dead-end mystery story = Yes (object was destroyed after pictures)

Its meant to be news, but its asking the readers to validate the pictures. Thats not reporting, just a few pictures and a journalist asking questions. What a lazy news team lol

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I couldn't disagree more sharplaya77.

Let's remember that journalists from all over the world, are vying with each other to justify their existence in war zones.

Another point - and one which I think is also worthy of attention, is that the journos are far from the safety of the nearest bar, lap dancing clubs and the internet.

While we have the infinite resources of the internet at our disposal, these poor newshounds must lay their paltry lives on the line, time and time again in order to bring you that 'boring' story.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Looks sort of like a Brunswick RAW.

www.ar15.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It would have to be a grenade or anti-personal device, or maybe a new generation of missle, but if anything it would be high explosive probably protected by the outer green shell

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
To my untrained eye, it looks like some sort of mine or grenade. Its clearly explosive and looks nasty. Only puzzling thing is the hole in the top. Perhaps its Bio/Chem.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Someone has already worked out that the first is a cannon ball. Presumably they don't have a cannon so we can assume that they intended to use it as part of an IED.

The second one looks like an improvised rocket launcher or direct-fire weapon using a mortar principle. Terrorist groups such as the IRA in Ireland have been making their own rocket/mortar weapons for years, it's really not that far fetched.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If i had to guess, i'd say possibly some sort of chemical weapons delivery system. The round shape would be functional for disperssing a gas, or liquid state weapon, and that launcher that they showed, honestly I have no clue, does'nt look like anything i've ever seen, which could mean it's that new...or maybe that old. Could be something that was'nt put into mass production and the Russians threw in the crate with some rifles. If it were a very effective weapon, i'd assume they would have alot more of them than just the one.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ECHO4ALPHA
If i had to guess, i'd say possibly some sort of chemical weapons delivery system.
Quick, call the white house! We need a press conference to explain how Iraq really does possess WMD.

top topics

join