It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYU Group Plans "Find The Illegal Immigrant" Event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Source Link: www.foxnews.com

A student Republican club at New York University has planned a 'Find the Illegal Immigrant' game for Thursday that has some on campus calling the event "racist."

In what it says is an attempt to get students to debate the issue of illegal immigration, members of the club who present their NYU identification cards can be immigration agents for the day and search for an illegal immigrant in a crowd of people. The agent who successfully identifies the illegal immigrant wins a gift certificate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Guaranteed those kids get some sort of abuse by the other kids before the day is over today. This is not going to go over to well in NYC. Especially the children of immigrant parents will definitely take offense to this. I hope someone films the event. I'd love to see them make complete asses out of themselves. Can't believe these are college students.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Ah yes....warms the heart to see tomorrow's leaders setting such a fine example.

Next week...."Find the Gay Actor"...

Ox

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This is how it starts, some moron thinks its a good idea to pull a prank like this, and then the illegals lash out in retaliation, THEN society says "Look at the illegals and their crime.. Thats all they bring is crime".. I mean seriously.. Would this be a good idea if it were a game called "Find the white man in Harlem"? No.. (No offense intended, just making a point) And there would be retaliation and it would be warranted....

This is a bad idea, this is breeding hate and stupidity..

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It's not illegal to be gay, an actor or white.

If the game were "Find the Car Thief" or "Find the Wife-Beater" would you call that racist or bigoted? You see, stealing cars is ILLEGAL. So is being in the US without permission.

And don't forget, the person who plays the illegal immigrant is part of the game. He's a willing participant. This WILL spark debate, which, since it's a huge issue in the States today, still needs to happen. Illegal immigration is not resolved, by any means.

I'm not so sure what the problem is with having this game... Unless, of course, the supporters of illegal immigration think that everyone else is racist... And that we don't support illegal immigration because of the people's race.

Which is ridiculous.

Ox

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Im not opposing the fact that being in the country illegally is illegal.. Im just saying that its in poor taste and when the illegal community does retaliate they will be ridiculed for it.. So why is it wrong to ridicule the antagonists?.. Most illegals are trying to make a living.. nothing more.

And in a very very subtle manner.. Whats the first race that comes to mind when the words "Illegal Alien" pop up? Hmm? Indian? Sri-Lankan? British? Canadian? No.. Mexican.. And we all know it.. there is no denying it. So in a way this is racist. Right?

And youre right, its not illegal to be gay .. or white.. It IS illegal to be gay and married though. But that's a different can of worms

And you cant deny that I just made some AWESOME points.. Its ok.. You can admit it

[edit on 22-2-2007 by Ox]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hell, they are illegals! They are like car thief... ect.. IT'S A CRIME. And on a small scale is not that bad, but on the present scale, it's a huge problem, over 20/30 millions illegals!

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
And you cant deny that I just made some AWESOME points..

You're right, I can't deny it.

The game is in poor taste, in my opinion, also.
And most people think of Mexicans when they think illegal immigrant.

when the illegal community does retaliate they will be ridiculed for it..

So, when the people who are already breaking the law kick up an additional fuss, and perhaps perform additional illegal activities, they'll be ridiculed? Boo-hoo... That reminds me of a burgular who gets injured in a home he's robbing and wants to sue the homeowners for his medical bills. Sorry, I can't find much sympathy for them...

Most illegals are trying to make a living.. nothing more.

Granted. That doesn't make it any more legal. Am I allowed to break the law in my own country? Am I allowed to steal something or sell drugs and say, "Hey, I'm just trying to make a living..."?

So in a way this is racist. Right?

Some people have racist feelings about it, no doubt, but many people's feelings and thoughts (mine included) are about the illegality and unfairness of it.

It IS illegal to be gay and married though. But that's a different can of worms

Yes, in most states it is illegal for them to GET married, and they are not permitted to do so. We are held to obeying the law. Your point?

And you cant deny that I just made some AWESOME points.. Its ok.. You can admit it

And you can admit that I did as well.

Ox

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yeah.. all good points.. And with this subject there is no right or wrong.. Just opinion.. I mean.. I believe that what the illegals are doing is wrong.. yes.. but I also believe that this game is wrong.. I mean back in the 80's when it was so horrible to be gay.. Would they have played a game called "Spot the gay guy in the crowd"? No.. why? Because its wrong..

My point is.. Most illegals go unheard of, millions of them in fact and stirring the pot isnt helping the situation.. Instead of stirring the pot, perhaps these students should help the immigration reform. Large bodies such as students have a larger influence than they realise

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Man do I like the ring of the title. It is about time everyone gets out and and finds them and turn them in.

The government will not do it so we as citizens have too.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm not making ANY moral judgment about illegal immigrants. It's ILLEGAL. That is not a matter of opinion. Whether it's "wrong" or not is not my point. Being gay is not illegal and it wasn't in the 80s.

Breaking the law is illegal.

It's really very clear to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
"... as a reward for participation in the event, once the illegal immigrant is found, he will be offered full time work within the University in his choice of either Sanitation or Food Service with heavily discounted compensation and without the need to provide proper paperwork or identification."

... Sorry, just being trying to be funny, mecheng

[edit on 22-2-2007 by mecheng]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
mecheng, did you find that somewhere or is it a statement you are making?

If it's from an external source, would you use ex tags and provide a link to the source?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Students must show their NYU identification to be deemed "INS" agents and to search the person wearing the nametag. original source

Illegal immigration is an enormous problem for the United States and at the end of the day the US government is doing next to nothing about this problem other than placating this flagrantly illegal activity.

I can not see any real negative affixes with this activity because it is raising awareness to an enormous problem as a whole (which appears to be working) that no one wants to touch politically. Furthermore; these are willing participants on both sides in the activity that does not specifically denigrate any one specific culture. Also, college campuses are very culturally diverse, with few exceptions, in the United States. The chances that there are multicultural participants are fairly great….especially at NYU...however…

Originally posted by Ox
And in a very very subtle manner.. Whats the first race that comes to mind when the words "Illegal Alien" pop up?

In the same “very, very subtle” manner any retaliatory remarks or rebukes by “illegals” or their representatives, in the end, will be laid upon the assumed backs of which citizen community? Indian? Sri-Lankan? British? Canadian? African American? Chinese? Viet Namese? Greek? American Indians Etc. Guess who? (hint: it won’t be just blanket “Americans” because that won't work). So let’s not cry racism so easily; this “card” is beginning to fall upon deaf ears from sheer knee-jerk overuse.

mg

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
... Sorry, just being trying to be funny, mecheng

In that case...

Originally posted by missed_gear
So let’s not cry racism so easily; this “card” is beginning to fall upon deaf ears from sheer knee-jerk overuse.

OOOhh! That was SO well-said, I just had to tell you!

And although I am white, I'm NO WHERE NEAR what people expect a person taking my position on this issue to be or look like. (Does that make sense?) In other words, I'm not a conservative, a Republican, a redneck, a hillbilly, a Christian fundamentalist or a racist.*

This is NOT a race issue.

*No offense meant to conservatives, Republicans, rednecks, hillbillys, Christian fundamentalists or even racists.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
find the illegal immigrant!?

Ooh, he was in the president's cabinet all along!

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I had to wait so that could clean up the milk that spewed out from my nose when I read that article this morning on another forum.

Let's get something perfectly clear.

If you enter this country illegally from anywhere, you are a leech on our citizen supported system of public services.

The united states wants immigrants. They want your income taxes and your social security money and your state taxes et nauseam.

However, it takes several years of this collection to equate to one year of operation. This number is growing as more illegals break in and use services for any number of years before supporting them with their taxes, if collected at all.

What does this mean? A growing deficit that will never get better unless we account for every single breathing human being living here.

Then, we know where the money is coming from and how many people can support our public services.

It has nothing to do with being Mexican or Irish (me) and not a racist issue as it is being described by the writer of that article.

Just goes to show how the media will distort something to draw more attention to it.

/gets another glass of milk

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
And in a very very subtle manner.. Whats the first race that comes to mind when the words "Illegal Alien" pop up? Hmm? Indian? Sri-Lankan? British? Canadian? No.. Mexican.. And we all know it.. there is no denying it. So in a way this is racist. Right?
[edit on 22-2-2007 by Ox]

Well obviously we're not going to think of Britons, Canadians, Indians, Sri Lankans being illegal immigrants, because they don't commit that crime!

The fact is that the majority of illegal immigrants in the US are Mexican, so you can't expect people not to think 'Mexican' when 'Illegal Immigrant' is mentioned!

Ox

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Well obviously we're not going to think of Britons, Canadians, Indians, Sri Lankans being illegal immigrants, because they don't commit that crime!

They dont commit that crime? How do you know? I'd say your statement is false.. A more appropriate statement would have been, "They probably dont commit that crime in such numbers as the Mexicans do because it's not as easy for them to cross the border"

Right?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
When I think of illegal immigrants, I think of when all of our for fathers came over here and raped and murdered the Indians of North and South America. They were all illegal immigrants. See the problem is that the governments of the immigrants are so poor they want to come over here because of the get rich fast stories our for fathers made up so they could have help taking over this land we like to call north america. I think that the illegal people here should be hauled in and shipped directly back to their home country, or have 1 year to speak english, pay taxes, can never buy land just rent property, only have 2 kids, and take a american history class for 2 years. Then they can apply for their citizen ship, only apply. That does not mean if they apply they become either. I hate to be harsh but what else do you want to do with criminals. DO you think that the Mexican or Canadian or Russian or Japan or China would want and let Americans into their land illegally? Heck no. I have a friend who went to china and he stayed past his visa. The China gov. found him and put him in prison for 6 months. He could not even look at the day light. The cells had no windows. In mexico if you want to move down their and live the rest of your life, you will never have the chance to buy your own property they do not sell their land to non-mexcians. See my point is that we have it made here in North Amercia. We need to save what we have left for our kids not some illegal immigrant that works here and never pays taxes. Having babies with our daughters and rasing them on welfare, just so they can send they hombreys (LOL) their check for working here. That way his boys can come up too illegally and do the same. Our country is in ruins and we all sit here just hashing it out on this "secret web site" and never doin anything about it. Very Strange, Very Strange indeed. I think the government should let americans bounty hunt the illegals and turn them in for a reward. That way the ones here now will really have to be on their toes and that would atleast stop some of the ones comming in on both sides of the borders, and on the air planes and boats. We as Americans need to stand up for what we want. if not we will be trampled on by the rush of illegals commin in on our good name and hard working backs(farms). I am sorry if this rubs you the wrong way, but that is my thoughts on this matter. Take it or leave it. Nice thread by the way
to who ever posted it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join