It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide bomber in burka in uk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

BOMB suspect Yassin Omar is caught on camera at a crowded bus station — disguised as a woman in a burka and carrying a handbag

He allegedly told Detective Constable Dave Hillier: “I didn’t know what I was doing. I was on the Tube at the time of the explosion. I didn’t know it was going to go off. I didn’t want to hurt anyone.

Source

Yet again a terrorist has used the veil to attempt a suicide bombing here on uk soil, sigh

When will BAN the veil ?

Lets have a poll those in favour of an outright ban

And those who are pro veil.

State your case....

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If you ban the veil, you'll have to ban ski caps and big hats and any other item that might be able to obscure a person's identity.

I don't oppose a "search" of people who enter public places with their identity obscured, though.

The UK isn't a Muslim nation. If people don't want to live in a Western nation under Western law, then they shouldn't move there. If they want to practice their religion in a public bus station, then they should be required to submit to a search.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Benevolent, I fear if people were searched because they were wearing a burka, all the civil rights muppets would jump up and down and say this was wrong.

I am in favour of a ban on all religious headwear in public. I think France had the right idea.

And Yes for the record, I am in favour of a ban on the burka in public.

My country

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What are the laws and such about freedom of religion in the UK and France?

What did France do?

Our first amendment guarantees freedom of religion and I think banning religous headware would kick up more of a fuss than searching people whose identity was obscured in any way. It's not searching people wearing burkas, it's sarching people who are hiding their identity for whatever reason.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Heretic,

Here's a news link
news.bbc.co.uk...

France banned religious headware in schools and there was plenty of fuss but it seems the the majority if the French were in favour.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
UK, your were warned about your state of denial. You were warned about your ultra leftist politics leading to a stuation were you would be at the mercy of radical islamists. Soon it will be too late, stop this madness now.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Eh? Warned by who? Warned about what?

Yes, Islamic extremism is a problem in the United Kingdom. But it's a problem the world over - Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, Russia... nowhere is safe, and we saw that in perfect clarity on the morning of September 11th 2001.

If you're expecting an Islamic republic in the UK then I would suggest you are either extremely ill-informed or deluded. Muslims make up only 1.6million people in the UK (That's 2.7% of the population - a tiny minority. At the last census about 70% of the UK identified themselves as 'Christian'), and the vast majority of them live here in peace. There are debates about immigration and integration (as there are in countries all over the world, the US being no exception), and there are bad apples (who are being dealt with - you'll perhaps have heard of the recent detention of a group of people planning to kidnap and execute a Muslim soldier) but there's no sinister plot to turn the UK into an Islamic state.

I don't really know who these "ultra leftists" are either. The governing Labour Party is a centrist party at best, and one could argue it is leaning to the right slightly. The left in the UK have been pretty much decimated and support for and confidence in the left has basically been non-existent in the mainstream public since the 1970s - the Winter of Discontent and the disastrous result of the 1983 General Election for the Labour Party marked the final nail in the coffin for the 'ultra left'.

Britain has faced terrorism ever since it had an empire, and progressed through the twentieth century as threats from the IRA. Britain has won all its battles against terrorists whatever form they took - I see no reason why Britain and its allies around the world can't win this battle either.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Oh come on...

Ban it, so what? If you want to hide your face I can think of many other ways, sun-glasses, bandana, hats, hoodies, so on and so fourth. You won't solve the problem by banning something - in fact, it is rather childish to ban something such as that.

The problem of suicide bombers is due to our actions. Nobody said it wasn't when it was Irgun and Levi - but I assume it is fine for Jewish people to kill innocent people? Even funnier is how it was our involvement in Iraq which caused events like 7th of July.

Every action has a reaction.
Every reaction then has another action.

We can not just place our heads in the sand and claim we are innocent and they bomb us because they are evil. It did not work with the I.R.A. and it isn't working now. It is about time people grow up and bother to think.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Oh come on...

Ban it, so what? If you want to hide your face I can think of many other ways, sun-glasses, bandana, hats, hoodies, so on and so fourth. You won't solve the problem by banning something - in fact, it is rather childish to ban something such as that.

Altough there are many other ways to hide your face you will draw immediate attention to your self. And a man putting on a burka makes one assume there is a woman underneath hence he has not only hidden his identity he has also hidden his sex which is a added problem as im sure you could imagine.

The problem of suicide bombers is due to our actions. Nobody said it wasn't when it was Irgun and Levi - but I assume it is fine for Jewish people to kill innocent people? Even funnier is how it was our involvement in Iraq which caused events like 7th of July.

And its not ok for anyone to be killing anyone, wether our government is causing this or not, the innocent civilians of this country have a right not to be attacked when They are not attacking anyone.
And what makes you think that attacking Iraq has anything to do with 7/7 ? are you forgeting 9/11 before the invasion of Iraq ??

We can not just place our heads in the sand and claim we are innocent and they bomb us because they are evil. It did not work with the I.R.A. and it isn't working now. It is about time people grow up and bother to think.

Grow up and bother to think about what exactly, civilians don't make the choice to go to war infact the british public was dead against this phoney war but the pliticians make the dicisions in the end just like in any country.
And they do bomb INNOCENT CIVILIANS because they are EVIL having no respect for life. If these bombers have such a beef with our gov then they should stand up and fight our troops face to face like MEN and not cowardly pot shots at people who nothing to do with the conflict, all they do is harden the hearts of civilians who were once against the injustice of this unjust war.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Our first amendment guarantees freedom of religion and I think banning religous headware would kick up more of a fuss than searching people whose identity was obscured in any way. It's not searching people wearing burkas, it's sarching people who are hiding their identity for whatever reason.

I've thought of this myself but to be honest the police would only be accused of racism and soon would'nt bother.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Come on, reaper2.

I do not deny that a burka will help hide your gender but if I was to place a rather large baggy top with a hood on and wear a skirt, who would know the difference? Even the idea that gender bothers the Police is ridiculous – if they really desire to stop and search someone they will.

As for the innocent civilians – I am waiting to see where they are. I am sorry, but Labour was voted back into power. Last time I checked all of the 7th of July Suicide Bombers attacked in areas that well were ran by people who voted in favour of the war. Those people in that area have the ability to protest and have the ability to remove the people from office. If we do not we are as guilty as them. I am sorry but the Nazi defence won’t work here.

As for them being cowards? It’s not like they can go over to Iraq and go to war. When they do attack us openly we still call them terrorists. Furthermore, why should we not be attacked on our own land? If it is fine for us as a Nation to go over and bomb them than the same can happen to us. I do not like this international hypocrisy. IF people had such a problem with the Iraq war we’d see the Government out of power. :-)

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

As for the innocent civilians – I am waiting to see where they are. I am sorry, but Labour was voted back into power. Last time I checked all of the 7th of July Suicide Bombers attacked in areas that well were ran by people who voted in favour of the war. Those people in that area have the ability to protest and have the ability to remove the people from office. If we do not we are as guilty as them. I am sorry but the Nazi defence won’t work here.

While I can not prove this, some of the innocent civilians killed and injuried may not have voted Labour at the last general election, and their MP may have also voted against the Government to go to war.

As for them being cowards? It’s not like they can go over to Iraq and go to war. When they do attack us openly we still call them terrorists. Furthermore, why should we not be attacked on our own land? If it is fine for us as a Nation to go over and bomb them than the same can happen to us. I do not like this international hypocrisy. IF people had such a problem with the Iraq war we’d see the Government out of power. :-)

Remember not all of us voted for this Government and I am confident that the Iraq issue will be part of the next general election.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Freedom ERP:

Did the Iraqi people say they wanted us to invade?
Did we even ask them?
I can go on and on.

Sorry but we are guilty of murder by allowing Labour to stay in power. We could have done a lot more than a little protest in the streets.

Fact is, it is fine when we kill civilians - collateral damage - as it is nicely put. When it happens on our soil it's bad? It can not work both ways. Furthermore the reports themselves and videos of the 7/7 bombers said it was the Iraq war. We were warned by several Muslim Nation's and groups to expect these attacks to happen if we invaded and we did.

Sorry, I expect them to happen. I also think the people have a right to do it. I am sorry but this is what war is, it isn't pretty and everyone has the right to decide whose side they are on in this war.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Freedom ERP:

Did the Iraqi people say they wanted us to invade?
Did we even ask them?
I can go on and on.

Sorry but we are guilty of murder by allowing Labour to stay in power. We could have done a lot more than a little protest in the streets.

Fact is, it is fine when we kill civilians - collateral damage - as it is nicely put. When it happens on our soil it's bad? It can not work both ways. Furthermore the reports themselves and videos of the 7/7 bombers said it was the Iraq war. We were warned by several Muslim Nation's and groups to expect these attacks to happen if we invaded and we did.

Sorry, I expect them to happen. I also think the people have a right to do it. I am sorry but this is what war is, it isn't pretty and everyone has the right to decide whose side they are on in this war.

Firstly there were iraqis who were for the war just not knowing things would get this bad.

Secondly we are not all guilty of murder. are you saying we should have murdered our prime minister ? and because we pay our taxes to the government we are complicet in the "collateral damage" Infact thats one of the arguments al-queda use to justifie the killing of innocent civilians and frankly thats a load of bull.

Fact is no one thinks its fine to kill innocent iraqis, and further to that these suicide bombers are not iraqis they are "muslim fanatics" from all over the globe even some home breed,
The iraq war only gave these fanatics more zeal to carry out the attacks as these fanatics had already declared Holy Jihad against the west ? and added furthered the cause of al-queda.

You say you expect it to happen and everyone has a right to to decide whos side there on.. why ? you sound as if you could be a terrorist or in the least a terrorist sympathieser

Lastly if war is about killing innocent civilians and they have the right to blow people up on their way to work then the rules of war have certainly been forgotten but by no means is it justified.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2
Yet again a terrorist has used the veil to attempt a suicide bombing here on uk soil, sigh

You imply that this has happened previously can you offer sources as I don't have any recollection?

You also imply that this person was dressed this way and was using the Burka to commit a suicide bombing.

As far as I am aware the individual in question was in fact evading police the day after the event of 21/07/05, due to the fact he was an identified suspect and his face was known.

Please tell me if I have misinterpreted the various news sources I have seen representing this story, but I believe you're misrepresenting the images from your source, a right wing tabloid which doesn't even claim the same as yourself.

When will BAN the veil ?

Is your question when will WE/THEY ban the veil and want a vote on that?

or are you asking for a vote on if the veil should be banned at all?

Lastly if war is about killing innocent civilians and they have the right to blow people up on their way to work then the rules of war have certainly been forgotten but by no means is it justified.

You say that as if the US and UK adhere to rules, you are clearly deluding yourself.

Originally posted by Xphilesphan
UK, your were warned about your state of denial. You were warned about your ultra leftist politics leading to a stuation were you would be at the mercy of radical islamists. Soon it will be too late, stop this madness now.

I would have to laugh if you are suggesting that Blair's government is ultra leftist. You'll find that it was the ultra lefties that warned the government of the long term effects of following the US's lead in going to war.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by Koka]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
To be quite honest Reaper, you have to be pretty blind to believe that banning the burka will have any effect on terrorism! In fact I think it would have the opposite effect by inflaming racial tensions which are already seemingly at an extreme.

You also say, that half of the problem was he was obscuring his identity, the other half was that he was disguising himself as a woman. Does this mean you want a ban on cross dressing as well as a ban on the burka?

Oh and XphilesPhan, the UK is increasingly right-wing now that Labour have crossed the centre IMO, no ultra-left!

USA, we warned you about you ultra-right politics making everyone hate you! Stop being imperialistic, invading countries and starting wars. Stop the madness now ....

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Koka,

My friend your post has been most sobering, you have knoked me off my high perch and expelled my excited disposition.

ok a suicide bombing in a burka has not happened on british soil yet.

The person in question was indeed evading police and i must add this has happened before where the suspect did escape.

I was asking for a vote on wether the veil should be banned

You say that as if the US and UK adhere to rules, you are clearly deluding yourself.

True the us/uk don't adhere to all the rules, but two wrongs don't make a right.

To be quite honest Reaper, you have to be pretty blind to believe that banning the burka will have any effect on terrorism! In fact I think it would have the opposite effect by inflaming racial tensions which are already seemingly at an extreme

So it MIGHT increase racial tension but it might not, after all no christian can read a bible or open a churce, display a crucifix in saudi can they and they get by without too many problems.

You also say, that half of the problem was he was obscuring his identity, the other half was that he was disguising himself as a woman. Does this mean you want a ban on cross dressing as well as a ban on the burka?

Very funny

USA, we warned you about you ultra-right politics making everyone hate you! Stop being imperialistic, invading countries and starting wars. Stop the madness now

well here i agree our governments are putting us at greater risk than neccessary and its just plain wrong.

Typo

[edit on 26-2-2007 by reaper2]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2
Koka,

My friend your post has been most sobering, you have knoked me off my high perch and expelled my excited disposition.

Not a problem..

I was honestly confused.

If you could humour me once more, you say,

True the us/uk don't adhere to all the rules, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Can I assume from this that you are not a supporter of the Iraqi war or that you disagreed with the initial invasion, or is this just a general statement on how you believe the US and UK normally behave?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I don't understand why people are making this a race issue. The whole "If you live in England you should behave like the English" doesn't make sense, there are plenty of British Muslims, why shouldn't they wear Their religous garments ? Islam is a theology, it's not attached to race, colour or geographical location.

As far as banning clothing that obscures the face I'm against it. You may as well ban shades or hats or scarves.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

You say you expect it to happen and everyone has a right to to decide whos side there on.. why ? you sound as if you could be a terrorist or in the least a terrorist sympathiser.

Actually I am not a terrorist nor do I directly sympathise with what they are doing. However I do know why my Grandparents fought in World War 2 – they fought for our right to decide what we believed and I am sorry but you can be the biggest racist in the World, you can be a terrorist or you can be as left wing as you can try to be but in the end it is up to you what you want to do and only you. Nobody has the right to decide your own opinion for you and sorry but I will never support the sort of tyranny you just suggested.

Dresdan? World War 1? Korea? Sorry but civilians have always been targeted as a means to break the populations moral and to turn them against the Government.

Firstly there were iraqis who were for the war just not knowing things would get this bad.

And? Sorry but I have yet to see a survey or anything that shows a majority of the Iraqi population wanting us to invade their country.

Secondly we are not all guilty of murder. are you saying we should have murdered our prime minister ? and because we pay our taxes to the government we are complicet in the "collateral damage" Infact thats one of the arguments al-queda use to justifie the killing of innocent civilians and frankly thats a load of bull.[

Well done.

You pay tax.
Tax goes to the Army.
The Army kills someone.

I hire a hit man.
I pay him to kill someone.
I have committed a crime.

It’s only legal because the state defines it as legal. It’s murder in our name, in the name of Britain and its Army and like it or not we are partly responsible. This is what being in a democracy is about –we take responsibility for the actions of those in our Government and those we vote for. Sorry but if 51% of the population were against the war and then they decided to strike (not go to work) you’d suddenly see things changing in this Nation. You’d have seen Labour back down or even have been forced out of Government. Two million people marching is roughly 1/30 of the population.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join