It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording Industry Targets US Colleges & Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think this is a bit out of hand when the RIAA is asking the colleges to hand out punishment's and make students watch pirating video's.

I believe they have gone a bit far.

Cracking down on college students, the music industry is sending thousands more complaints to top universities this school year than it did last year as it targets music illegally downloaded over campus computer networks.

A few schools, including Ohio and Purdue universities, already have received more than 1,000 complaints accusing individual students since last fall — significant increases over the past school year. For students who are caught, punishments vary from e-mail warnings to semester-long suspensions from classes.

The trade group for the largest music labels, the Recording Industry Association of America, identified at the request of The Associated Press the 25 universities that received the most copyright complaints it sent so far this school year. The group long has pressured schools to act more aggressively against online pirates on campus.

"It's something we feel we have to do," RIAA President Cary Sherman said. "We have to let people know that if they engage in this activity, they are not anonymous."

Getting Schooled by the RIAA

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That any School, University, College that would suspend a student for downloading music isn't worth attending.

There are plenty of tech guys who could lock down those web sites. This is just a case of the University making a show of doing the right thing, when in truth they are the last ones to lecture on the right thing to do.

To the Online-Pirates I would say, If you want to do what you do online at a school, get better at it. Don't do it unless you have the talent to not get caught.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Royal76]

join