It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is wrong with people

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

lol there areover 100 million every year....are you the ignorant..!!!

Um am I the ignorant...what exactly?

Well you've certainly convinced me. You're as sound as a pound...as my Uncle John would say.

Welcome to the board, I'm sure you won't have any problems from here on out as your ability to express your thoughts in both a concise and calm manner seems unparalleled.

Spiderj

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectDNA
Did you know that there are over 100,000,000+ UFO sightings every year. That is 100,000,000 million witnessess, yet you go out into the street and try and tell them that there are aliens all around and they think you are looney.

If you go out into the street and tell people that there is poweful aliens that can fry your house in an instant, take your children, and geneticaly fuse them with a squid, and they will think you are crazy.

If you go out into the street and tell them thare is an emensly poweful being that can destroy the world with a thought, make you into a fish, torn ur cow into a lady, as long as say it's name is god they will at least partially believe you...........even though there is a total amount of sightings = to .....zero...thats right, no one see's god at all.
But they wont believe in a couple of aliens...

That's what i'm thinking...yet people with some sort of religion believe in some sort of god...of course without any evidence. But then again...cal people nuts, insane and the like...just because they believe in ufos, ets and the like (of course with supporting evidence). Makes ya go "hmmmm?"

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
let's assume the million sightings number is accurate. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of sightings each year are not alien craft and are easily explained away and would not really be considered a ufo sighting but, rather, a balloon, an airplane, a bird etc.

So the number of sightings of truly unidentified flying objects would be much less.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Its amazing how less looney one is percieved after the people you are talking to have a few pitchers of beer....

Down at the local dive, in between rounds of taking peoples money on the pool table, I spout off like a quaker on a street corner about aliens, the hidden propulsion technology, and the quantum physics behind superluminal space/time travel - and everyone seems to be with me 100%... maybe you should try the bar instead of the street for this discussion.

Another point: I totally understand your frustration surrounding the acknowlegment of aliens, and god, and how illogical it is to be 100% bought into believing in a "Catholic" or "Christian" god, and believing that Aliens are bunk...

It's like arguing politics - I am very close to totally quitting talking about politics to anyone who doesn't agree with me because I feel like banging my head against concrete. O well

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Did you know that there are over 100,000,000+ UFO sightings every year. That is 100,000,000 million witnessess, yet you go out into the street and try and tell them that there are aliens all around and they think you are looney.

lol there areover 100 million every year....are you the ignorant..!!! at ove 5 billion people in the worl 100 million is like...2% nothing at all....

So we have 98% of the world with no sighting experience, let's say 10% of those people are intrigued and open to the idea.

and let's say 50% probably wouldn't care either way

That leaves about 40% of the people who have never seen this phenomena to call you a looney.

Now I don't know how many people that would be total but it is much more than 100,000,000......

BTW, I would most likely be included in the 10%

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of sightings each year are not alien craft ....

OOOooooo you risk taker.

Yes, I'd be willing to lay up next month's mortgage payment on that as well. Now all we need is someone to take that bet. That is, someone who won't try to pay off in Altarian Zoogs.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Replying to this drivel gives this guy points.
Please, let's stop encouraging him/her.

Thanks,
Lex

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

If you go out into the street and tell people that there is poweful aliens that can fry your house in an instant, take your children, and geneticaly fuse them with a squid, and they will think you are crazy.

If you go out into the street and tell them thare is an emensly poweful being that can destroy the world with a thought, make you into a fish, torn ur cow into a lady, as long as say it's name is god they will at least partially believe you...........even though there is a total amount of sightings = to .....zero...thats right, no one see's god at all.
But they wont believe in a couple of aliens...

Exactly.

What's worse is that some governments around the world firmly believe in the existence of God and sanction 'it' as being true.

For example: Take a single $1 USD bill. It's property of the Federal Treasury, which represents the government of the United States of America. Clearly printed on the bill is "In God We Trust". Now there's a bold statement - one of the world superpowers places trust in God. How the hell can you place trust in God, when God is unproven? What about all of the US citizens who don't believe in God? What are they supposed to do - deny their government? Governments and religion are two heads of the same beast. There is no separation of Church and State. In a similar way, what about law courts, where people have to swear truth on a Bible? That's entrenching a belief system of crime and punishment based on religious ideals. I would REFUSE to do that, as I don't accept the Bible for anything other than a dull series of fairy-tales.

It is totally illogical to place trust and belief in God, yet smirk at the existence of aliens when aliens are far more believable than God! It's a clear case of hypocritical double standard that have been perpetuated through the ages from antiquity and cave-man folk-lore.

I do agree with the original post, what the hell is wrong with people?

Is it THAT difficult to believe in other life forms visiting Earth if you are prepared to accept (without proof) that there is a powerful force called 'God' that can smoteth you and your city on a whim?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackdude

Aliens are UFOs are two separate things. For people to imply that aliens are in ufos is ridiculous

Well UFOs appear to be intelligently controled. And the way they move suggest that they are thousands of years ahead of anything we have. So either there are ETs piloting them, or there being remote controlled by them.

Oh, come on. Certainly there are more than two possible "explanations" for UFOs. You're just being lazy and settling on the two that are maybe the easiest to understand. If you're willing to imagine entire ET species, even though there's not a shred of decent proof any such thing exists, then you can surely imagine some more possibilities. What about tulpas? What about either random or direct incursions by humans from other dimensions or times? What about human-built machines you're ignorant of? What about projections from a powerful galactic "overmind?" What about morphic echoes? Or something else?

Since there's no good proof of any of it, why limit yourself to something as mundane and unimaginative as ET aliens?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Please stop making fun of and cursing our savior.

I'll start by asking you to write a book.

Now...

Make that book soooo good that it will last longer than any other,
sell billions upon billions of copies throughout history,
and inspire people to do great and noble things through a poetic and applicable-to-life
(even in times 1000's of years ahead of your own)
parables.

and make it around...say 700 pages.

Start Writing...

AND

Let's say God doesn't exist.

"Well now what do I believe in?" Boy says to his father.

"You believe that a bunch of ET's put us here for some "scientific" reason.
Ones that don't say they want the best for you. Ones that don't say they care for your well being. Ones that don't really say anything to you..." Dad replies.

Sounds about right...lqtm

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
PerfectDNA, please note that there are many ways to convey your point without resorting to insulting those who differ or ask for sources...and, I'd recommend reading the Terms & Conditions before doing so.

Obviously, there is some grace here for new members, but only to a point. Courtesy is expected of people on all sides of an issue.

According to a 2006 survey, more than 24% of Americans agreed that some UFOs are probably UFOs from other worlds.
Source: Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion - American Piety in the 21st Century – September 2006

It's almost impossible to estimate the worldwide sightings per year, due to the difficulty in data collection methods, but NICAP estimates put it at around 500,000 per year.
www.nicap.org...

Now that we've got the statistics out of the way, while yes, many can agree that we are seeing strange, unidentifiable things in the sky, and that yes, there are some cases that defy current human tech...your other allegations have little basis...

Aliens that can mutate your DNA into a cow, etc. Aliens that can fry your house to nothingness (which we can do quite well by the way), etc. has less evidence however.... Same with the mental ability to melt the planet, etc., etc.....

Incredible claims require incredible proof (Carl Sagan)...and we don't have such evidence for THOSE kinds of claims...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
According to a 2006 survey, more than 24% of Americans agreed that some UFOs are probably UFOs from other worlds.
Source: Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion - American Piety in the 21st Century – September 2006

According to a 2005 survey of 750 Australians, 80% believed in aliens from outer space.
Source: (Melbourne) Herald Sun, Page 2, Thursday June 23, 2005. Survey conducted by Readers Digest.

There's a fair difference in percentages between the two surveys.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Two different questions really...that's the problem with statistics....lies damn lies....

My question was basically "Do you think some UFOs are piloted by aliens".
Yours is essentially "Do you believe aliens could exist?" (nothing about visiting us). Seem similar, but even most scientists concede that aliens likely exist, they just don't think they are capable of coming here...so different ideas really.

We have to be careful with statistics...but of course, that's one of the fun things about them...they can be taken completely out of context (and, unintentionally)..... So we have to be careful in our interpretations... So, I was trying to find questions as close as possible to the intent of the original poster...

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yeah, I know. Lies and damned lies...

There is a heavy amount of bias that can be introduced when framing survey questions. It's murky when asking about aliens/UFOs as there are people who have trouble disassociating the two terms from each other.

I'm sure that to many people the two questions would have meant the same thing.

Did your survey mention a population sample size?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americana
Please stop making fun of and cursing our savior.

What do you mean "our" savior? Nobody around here saving me except me. Even according to most Christians, I'm the one who has to make the choice, right? So who is the ultimate savior?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with most people that a good pandemic wouldn't cure.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ameicana,
The Dhamapada and the Bagavad Gita are much older than the Bible. I will not insult your savior if you don't insult my intelligence.

I can't make sense of the original posts. It's the same old "why God and not aliens?" kind of questions that does nothing to further this topic. Perhaps you should tone it down, and discuss, instead of throwing your anger around at people that are on this board to discuss exactly what you are talking about. There are a few with definitive "answers" for themselves, but mostly people seem to be asking a lot of questions and sharing ideas. Ranting and raving without reading people's posts will make you into the crackpot that people fear. I don't remember who said it, but I agree- I believe in extraterrestrials (and God for that matter) and you coming at me in this matter scares the hell out of me. Take a breath, have some tea, relax, and read the posts that came before you.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Did your survey mention a population sample size?

Unfortunately, was a secondary source. Perfect example too, of how statistics can be skewed...where was the survey done, what age group, what education level, etc., etc.? Just a cautionary note for those not familiar with just how easy it is to manipulate statistics while still being truthful.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I know its blasphemy too most other Christians(I am one btw) but honestly todays term Advancent Alien in much simpler human times would have been deemed whole heartedly as God. Think about it. They both express far beyond human understanding and capabilities. What makes things different today is that we have many years of knowledge and standards of conceptions that allow us to better understand(well some of us). Say you traveled back in time somehow in a private aircraft with your laptop,lighter cell phone and other of todays advances to say 800 bc.
You would most likely be termed and feared as a God or Angel by primative man and more so with todays UFO type phonomena. Its knowledge and understanding that seperates us today from us back then. However I do believe that a far Superior intellect did shape what we now know as our Earth and human civilization and helps to guide us or watch over us. Fear and ignorance is our worst enemy the way I see it. But old habits are very hard too break and yes the bulk of us arent ready for a new more powefull species no matter how friendly they may be.
Aliens most likely know we cant even handle changes in our daily lives let alone our whole way of thinking. Yet they seem to be reaching out at times too a few for some reason and with more frequency.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americana

I'll start by asking you to write a book.

Now...

Make that book soooo good that it will last longer than any other,
sell billions upon billions of copies throughout history,
and inspire people to do great and noble things through a poetic and applicable-to-life
(even in times 1000's of years ahead of your own)
parables.

and make it around...say 700 pages.

Start Writing...

None of which offers any evidence (let alone proof) that the contents of such a book depict actually occuring events (particularly the supernatural explanations of those events in said book). And of course the test is a strange one since the bible has multiple authors - it is an anthology of religious writing over a long period of time.

AND

Let's say God doesn't exist.

"Well now what do I believe in?" Boy says to his father.

"You believe that a bunch of ET's put us here for some "scientific" reason.
Ones that don't say they want the best for you. Ones that don't say they care for your well being. Ones that don't really say anything to you..." Dad replies.

Sounds about right...lqtm

Or maybe life has, in fact, no absolute or ultimate 'meaning' : it's a genuine possibility. Any firm assertion of the 'truth' of 'our saviour' is, given our current state of knowledge, wishful thinking.

re aliens : Sometimes the 'war' between the sceptics and the believers just looks like a 'clash of fundamentalisms'.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by granny smith]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Also, YES I WAS WRONG. THE BIBLE IS NOT THE OLDEST BOOK. I AM SORRY FOR BEING HUMAN.

I guess you can turn a blind eye to what God has done for you, suciudevirus, but it won't change the truth.

Mayor- I would not want to insult your intelligence. Nor would I want you to insult our savior. Please, tell what those 2 (books?) are. They sound interesting.

Anthology or not, it still sold and is selling more than any other book. Ever.
That counts for something.

There is proof that adds to the Bible, comrade. I believe they found Noah's Ark in Turkey. I'll look into it...Ah and the fossils upon Everst.

Also, If you want to say there is no proof, then how do we know that Mohammed existed or how any battles were fought in the B.C.'s?
Some type of recording system.(Usually a book)

If we all took that paradigm how would we know if half of the things in the pre-organized history took place? I mean just because it is written doesn't mean its true right?

(Just so you don't get the wrong idea. I do believe in intelligent life outside our world. I just can't stand the logic "There's aliens so there's no God".)

(Notice there was no disclaimer saying we were all he made...)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join