It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Let me answer both quickly. No

When the lights go out they are not coming back on. I am nothing more than a fraction of a grain of sand in the grand scheme of things. I have no problem with that and want to make hay whilst the sun shines.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shizzle5150

When the lights go out they are not coming back on. I am nothing more than a fraction of a grain of sand in the grand scheme of things. I have no problem with that and want to make hay whilst the sun shines.

Assume you were the President and wanted to inspire people about Life, would you tell them that when you die, you live no longer?

Are atheist Presidents more likely to start nuclear war because they feel no Afterlife consequences?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech

Assume you were the President and wanted to inspire people about Life, would you tell them that when you die, you live no longer?

Are atheist Presidents more likely to start nuclear war because they feel no Afterlife consequences?

If I were trying to inspire people about life I would say live it to the fullest and try to help others that are not as fortunate do the same.

And as far as the atheist president question, do you think if two people who had guns drawn down on each other (one believing in an afterlife and the other not) the person who thought "well this is it" would be the first to pull the trigger. It's just my thoughts that a person who though there is a pleasant afterlife awaiting would be the first to drop the hammer, especially in the name of their beliefs.... those are my thoughts on the matter though.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think because they arent intellegent enough to have a spiritual side, or they think too highly of themselves.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am sorry I am not intelligent enough and think to highly about myself. Did you even read the part about helping others who are not as fortunate to do the same? Is that self centered or unintelligent? Maybe I misunderstood you and I hope thats the case, if not I really do not appreciate your snide remarks.

please let me know if I have taken you the wrong way because you damn sure have me the wrong way. It is not ats practice to take shots at people like that and if I have done anything to merit that kind of treatment please point me to it.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by shizzle5150]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
shizzle5150, you are an intelligent person, but misguided. I use to be misguided by suffering in the temporary but non-fatal disease of atheism. I was an atheistic Dean's List graduate student at the University of Chicago. But my Soul was empty and I rarely revealed any goodness. God resurrected my Soul, as He will do yours. It is only a matter of when. Based on my experience, I recommend you make an effort to believe in God sooner rather than later.

Blessings in finding the love, truth, and power of the Universe!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Greattech, I will take misguided as a compliment after being called unintelligent and self centered. I think there are alot of misguided people and refrain from telling them so as I don't have all the answers and have no business telling people what they believe is wrong. I think that could put me into the self centered category to believe all I say and do is right. If you found a religion and are happy with it I'm happy for you, just because I don't subscribe to it does not make me misguided though.

BTW atheism is NOT a disease as you referred to it any more so than Christianity, just because you have your beliefs and others differ does not make them wrong or misguided.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Greattech, I will take misguided as a compliment after being called unintelligent and self centered. I think there are alot of misguided people and refrain from telling them so as I don't have all the answers and have no business telling people what they believe is wrong. I think that could put me into the self centered category to believe all I say and do is right. If you found a religion and are happy with it I'm happy for you, just because I don't subscribe to it does not make me misguided though.

BTW atheism is NOT a disease as you referred to it any more so than Christianity, just because you have your beliefs and others differ does not make them wrong or misguided.

I did not call you "arent intelligent enough to have a spiritual side" (another member did); I believe you are intelligent (you somewhat remind me of the way I use to be, questioning the truth about everything).

By the way, I found God and not any particular religion and my last 11 years have been extremely fruitful.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I know that you didn't call me unintelligent, you did say I was misguided though.

I'm glad your past eleven years have been fruitful, and may you have many more. My past eleven have been fruitful as an atheist. I know your heart is in the right place and hope the best for you but to take the stance that I am misguided I don't feel as right. Granted you are not offensive (like others can be) in what you say and I do appreciate that.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I know that you didn't call me unintelligent, you did say I was misguided though.

I'm glad your past eleven years have been fruitful, and may you have many more. My past eleven have been fruitful as an atheist. I know your heart is in the right place and hope the best for you but to take the stance that I am misguided I don't feel as right. Granted you are not offensive (like others can be) in what you say and I do appreciate that.

shizzle5150, my "fruitful" years as an atheist were based on a broken foundation. My fruitful years as a believer in God are based on a solid foundation.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hey man, I'm glad you are happy now, so am I. I have no place to tell you that you are misguided. All I ask is the same in return. After all this thread is about why people are atheists. I am happy to give my two cents in hopes of people better understanding atheists.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Hey man, I'm glad you are happy now, so am I. I have no place to tell you that you are misguided. All I ask is the same in return. After all this thread is about why people are atheists. I am happy to give my two cents in hopes of people better understanding atheists.

I only call atheists misguided because I, as a former misguided atheist, was penetrating the abyss, some of the worst underworld that anyone can experience. I love and care about all, including atheists, and would like to share any wisdom I have about converting from atheism to faith. During the last part of my 6 year stint of atheism (11-17 years ago), I nearly died in an Intensive Care Unit of a hospital. 7 months later, God spoke to me and my life has been significantly better ever since.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
There is a difference between learning about a belief and intimidating a belief.

Athiests are not sub intelligent,

they are not diseased,

they do not have 6 fingers,

they do not all want to start nuclear war or have higher probabilities of doing so,

If you didn't know, they are human

I believe in God but does that mean I shove it down a persons throat?

Lets have an out-of-context bible war:

EXODUS 33:19 I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

MATTHEW 7 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Bible says that is the definition of a hypocrite

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
What is the cause of atheism? The government, teachers, parents, siblings, friends, strangers...? No, the cause of atheism is greed.

The cause of atheists is greed.

The cause of the faithful is love.

Can the USA or any other nation elect a President that is an atheist? I am afraid that if it did occur the consequences for the nation and the world would be dire.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2
There is a difference between learning about a belief and intimidating a belief.

Athiests are not sub intelligent,

they are not diseased,

they do not have 6 fingers,

they do not all want to start nuclear war or have higher probabilities of doing so,

If you didn't know, they are human

I believe in God but does that mean I shove it down a persons throat?

Lets have an out-of-context bible war:

EXODUS 33:19 I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

MATTHEW 7 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Bible says that is the definition of a hypocrite

Selmer2, I am not being hypocritical. I have seen both sides of the fence (faith and atheism). My experience with atheism told me that it could lead to an untimely death. My experience with faith has told me that life is about love no matter how much pain we experience (see Hebrews 12:11). I love atheists, but as a former atheist and the latter Hell I experienced during the period that I was an atheist has taught me to encourage nonbelievers to have faith. Since finding God 11 years ago, there is nothing that can transform me into my former belief system. I do not recommend atheism for anybody. I love atheists and do not want any of them to experience what I did as an atheist.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
List one or more reasons. I will list three:

1) Hypocrites have different thought patterns: rarely does rationality enter their mind for the cause and effect of any event.

2) Hypocrites have different vocabularies: frequently they score a little above average on "standardized tests" but these tests frequently have little to do with logic, idealism, and scientific texts. They are more concerned with ignorance rather than wisdom. They frequently take part in the "selling of the rationality syndrome."

3) Hypocrites' mind's eyes are underdeveloped: they frequently cannot associate the points of view of someone else as magnificent as the Universe to anything but a human or an atom of hydrogen.

Personally, I believe in rationality with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When rationality approaches you, it is filled with tolerance and understanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I am not a hypocrite either

Edn

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
lol, I am sorry I couldn't help but laugh(in a good way) at the conversation you two were having (shizzle5150 & GreatTech). You know until I came here the only other place I saw people talk about others beliefs as if they were misguided, diseased or whatever was on TV about Americans. It just doesn't seam to happen here whether your Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, Jew or one of a hundred other religions people just don't hassle you if you don't believe what they believe.

GreatTech you made a good point when you said "My experience with atheism", thats exactly it, they were your experiences not someone else's. Atheism is not an organized religion, theres no set of rules to follow, no one to worship, you and you alone have to make the right choices and decisions with your life and if you couldn't do that on your own then maybe the believe in a god real or not is good for you, but it isn't for everyone.

Don't go judging others just because you had a bad experience while not believing in a god.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I would equate Christiantiy and Atheism to a ships compass.

The Belief in God compass, no matter what a Christian is told, always goes the same direction. Belief in God is a belief in a higher power. Magnetic North is Magnetic North. God is and the teachings of Christ are from God. He is the way. The True ways of Christ lead to peace and Harmony.

The Atheist Compass is based on...? There is no guide. Believe in Killing if you want. Believe in Stealing. Believe in Charity. Believe in Love. There are no rules. Do what thou wilst! Atheism is a hit and miss Compass.

See the difference?

Peace

[edit on 26-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
The Atheist Compass is based on...? There is no guide. Believe in Killing if you want.

Obviously no one has ever killed in the name of Christianity/Catholocism/Islam etc etc.

Originally posted by HIFIGUYBelieve in Stealing.

As above, change Killing for Stealing.

Originally posted by HIFIGUYBelieve in Charity. Believe in Love.

Should be everybodys belief no matter who you are or what you believe in.

Originally posted by HIFIGUYThere are no rules. Do what thou wilst! Atheism is a hit and miss Compass.

Yes there is a rule, only one very important rule, not believing in a mystical invisible deity.

Originally posted by HIFIGUYI would equate Christiantiy and Atheism to a ships compass.

The Belief in God compass, no matter what a Christian is told, always goes the same direction. Belief in God is a belief in a higher power. Magnetic North is Magnetic North.

I like your compass analogy though, but i see it this way, those who believe in God are only able to travel North, those of us who believe otherwise are able to travel in any other direction we choose except North. How much more are we able to see and experience.

I see the difference, do you.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

I like your compass analogy though, but i see it this way, those who believe in God are only able to travel North, those of us who believe otherwise are able to travel in any other direction we choose except North. How much more are we able to see and experience.

Knowing Magnetic North means you always have a reference for what is right. You still have choice.

Everthing is Permissable..not everything is Beneficial.

Its keeping out the unguided choice and preventing that from being a standard. Examples ( Genocide, Hitler, Crimes against Man )

Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz...LOL

" Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch " What is Good?

Christ said only God is Good.

What is your definition of Good?

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join