It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's Prince Harry Will Serve In Iraq By The End Of The Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Prince Harry; a 2nd Lt. in the Blues and Royals Regiment who favored entering the Army over the Royal Navy, will be serving in southern Iraq by the end of the month. It is thought that he will be involved in reconnaissance missions. Most of the Royal family member who joined the UK armed forces traditionally go to the Royal Navy. Harry, 22, has stated that he wants to be treated no differently from other officers he trained with at the Sandhurst Military Academy. Although his royal status has to be taken into account, he will likely to see action into the battlefield.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
LONDON -- Britain's Prince Harry will be serving in southern Iraq by the end of the month with his army regiment, probably taking part in reconnaissance missions near the Iran border, a newspaper reported Saturday.
"The final details are being sorted, but he is definitely going. Naturally, his royal status has to be taken into account -- but he will see action," the source was quoted as saying.

"As a young officer Harry will want to go to war as a point of pride. There would have been no point in him training for this if that was never going to happen," the source said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder how far he can really be involved in the frontline. His presence alone can give extreme interest to the enemy combatant. He can be a most likely valuable target.

But just like the rest of the UK armed forces, he does not want to be treated differently.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

[edit on 17-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Good for him. He could have taken the safe option and spent his war service in a stateroom with a valet to polish his crystalware.

Let's just hope he doesn't get false flagged and end up on youtube with a spook in a bedsheet holding a large scimitar.

Jolly good show.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Whilst I admire his courage I feel sorry for the squaddies ( and also the innocent Iraqi people) that will be serving with him because he will be the number 1 target in the whole of Iraq. The number of insurgant incidents in and around Basra will soar.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Given that he will probably become the No1 target in Iraq due to the media exposier that would result if anything happened to him i would be very suprised is he ever left the barracks after being sent over there. not only that there will likely be a number of troops assigned to protecting him behind the scenes.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
From the OP's article:

Britain's Prince Harry will be serving in southern Iraq by the end of the month with his army regiment, probably taking part in reconnaissance missions near the Iran border, a newspaper reported Saturday.

Why do I have the feeling that poor Harry is going to be a sacrificial lamb for the next Middle-East conflict?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hmm interesting. Although the British have been constantly monitoring the Iranian border for several months now in an attempt to prevent reinforcements. A nigh on impossible task with the low number of troop levels we have down there.

I wonder what would happen if he got kidnapped, or even killed by Iranians. Would such an event drag a cautious United Kingdom into another alliance with America in a war. Maybe.

I support his decision to go. He has guts, and he doesn't just want to sit about in palaces, or play Polo all day. Prince William will almost certainly be the next king, so I think they will let Harry go.

It must be a weird feeling for his squadies knowing that Royalty is laying down supressive fire for you :p

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
doubt it will happen, remember did not prince andrew serve in the falklands. how come he never went into the navy.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It's funny how you all think he would be the "number 1 target". How the hell is anyone going to tell Harry from Bob when fully decked out in combat's and gear?

He will be no risk to his soldiers anymore than any other Officer. They're not exactly going to have a big sign painted to the side of his vehicle saying "PRINCE HARRY HERE!!", are they?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It's funny how you all think he would be the "number 1 target". How the hell is anyone going to tell Harry from Bob when fully decked out in combat's and gear?

I say, "most likely a valuable target", the same way that if the coalition forces know that Osama bin laden is in a certain area like Tora Bora. Of course, there is no way of telling who is Kareem or Abujakar. It does not have to be that way. But knowing that there is a valuable target present in an area may result in increase of activities like sending more suicide bombers, more barrage of artillery, commando attacks or just direct assault etc.

Originally posted by stumason
He will be no risk to his soldiers anymore than any other Officer. They're not exactly going to have a big sign painted to the side of his vehicle saying "PRINCE HARRY HERE!!", are they?

Sure they won't. But enemy intelligence, spies or other sources may intensify their work in a certain area to find a valuable target. This can eventually lead to encounter with the target and to have a chance to kill or capture the valuable target. One of the best tactic to fight a war is to emphatize with the enemy. See how the US or UK armed forces work in war. Not all plain infantry or maneuver, there is always intelligence or candlestine work.

top topics

join