It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your favorite math equation/geometric property

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think mine is fairly obvious and simple. it helps me to remember the expansions of both cos and sin as well as the expanision for e^x.
as if i needed to know any of the three. it as goes hand in hand with e to the i pi plus one equal zero, the five most important numbers in math. awsome.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My favorite is i squared equals minus one. Go figure. If that doesn't prove the existence of God, then I don't know what does. Inexplicable to the core.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
My favorite is

1 / 3 = 0.33333333333.... x 3 = 0.999999999....

Therefore, 1 does not equal 1.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I like e^i(pi) + 1 = 0, but my favourite has got to be c=2(pi)r.

The equation for the circumference of a circle introduces pi, the number that crops up in everything mathematicians and physicists do, for the very first time.

Oh and sorry Icarus Rising but i^2=-1 is by no means proof of god. i is a human artifact used by mathematicians to model a property of numbers that is hard for us to conceptulise. Its simply the way numbers work, just as 1+1=2 and x/1=x.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I like 1337

Only kidding. I'm a big fan of the Fibonacci sequence. There are so many things in nature that relate to the number pattern that it boggles the mind.

(0 if n=0;
F(n):=(1 if n=1;
(F(n-1)+F(n-2) if n>1.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I like the very simple but extrememly powerful Pythagorean Theorem:

a² + b² = c²

...which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

I spent many years as a carpenter and used this or a variation based on it almost every day.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

that is hard for us to conceptulise.

And God isn't? Btw, it was an if-then proposition.

Then I don't know what is.

If you don't want proof of God, you won't find it.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
O come on! It has to be the Bekenstein-Hawking Formula. I'm constantly needing to calculate the gravitational pull near black holes.

Just kidding. My favorite formula isn't a real forumla. It's FOIL (First Outer Inner Last) I would have never learned to multiply binomials without this nifty little method to constantly remind me how it's done.

EDIT: I should also mention the Quadratic Formula. It's handy too

[edit on 17-2-2007 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Throughout my studies of physics and mathematics, and all the courses I've taken in both subjects, I'd have to say the most beautiful equation is e^i(pi) + 1 = 0. Richard Feynman also thought the same.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I like the recursive Gamma function, given by:

'T^r with Z=n sequencing as a sub-note.

It's quite handy when dealing with phenominal numbers: i.e., chain reactions, astronomical phenomenon, why some people sit at red lights when they're green, etc.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
In physics, the best ones are the E&M and gravitational field equations in Einsteinan tensor form.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
I like e^i(pi) + 1 = 0

That's by far my favorite.

It does reveal a very mystical underpinning to the universe IMHO.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Exactly as I remember it.

Burnt into memory 30 years ago by my brother in law, I've never used it in anger.

You stole my thunder dbates......
....well done...

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Euler's identity is a really good trigonometric identity. e^x = cos x + i sin x

Some of the 'series' equations are pretty cool, too, like the sum of 1/x! = e, for all integer x. There is also one for pi, but I forget exactly how it goes. I think there was a 4 and a bunch of stuff square rooted...

I also like lim x->infinity (1 + 1/x)^(1/x) = e (I think I put that down right, I hope...)

My favourite, however, is...

It is well known that TIME = MONEY
And that MONEY is the root of all evil. MONEY = EVIL^0.5
GIRLS require TIME and MONEY. GIRLS = TIME * MONEY
GIRLS = TIME * MONEY = MONEY^2 = (EVIL^0.5)^2 = EVIL
GIRLS = EVIL
(yeah, engineers are geeks...)

[edit on 17-2-2007 by DragonsDemesne]
(edits to fix very strange formatting problem with one of my formula)

[edit on 17-2-2007 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
Oh and sorry Icarus Rising but i^2=-1 is by no means proof of god. i is a human artifact used by mathematicians to model a property of numbers that is hard for us to conceptulise. Its simply the way numbers work, just as 1+1=2 and x/1=x.

Yes indeed. Nature and the universe don't need math and numbers at all, its a human concept / tool to help our feeble minds. Mine being amongst the most feeble.

Favorite eq? Mmm as my background is engineering a nice and simple V=IR and its derivatives. Got us to electronics and no doubt eventually armageddon

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The Caley-Hamilton theorem. Suffice to say it is an elegant solution to solving matrices and differential equations.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Here's an old Calculus joke equation:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My favorite is the 47th problem of Euclid.

The simple A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The ancients believed that it could be used for squaring the circle. Ancient measure systems were based on the ratios of the 5/12/13 and especially the 3/4/5 triangle. The latter was believed to have esoteric significance.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I've always loved the simplistic 1 + 1 = 10.

Although not possessing a strong math background (history major), having a nice √-1 = i written on the white board in my office was more of a joke to make it look like I was doing high level mathematics.

I went to school with and now work with with a ton of engineers. I did run across this from a fw: e-mail recently.

I'll have to add to my signature and white board chiS2000's 1 does not equal 1.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by daspirate
I've always loved the simplistic 1 + 1 = 10.

O yeah! There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join