It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-44 MANTA Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've just been looking around for more stuff on the PAK-FA, and I came across some stuff on the X-44 MANTA project. I quickly got interested as soon as I saw what the project was encompassing, but I'm disappointed at the lack of information on the current status. Does anyone know what stage MANTA is currently in with regards to research and development? Judging by the current speculative pictures I'm thinking it would make either a very good interceptor or a very good strike aircraft. Thanks in advance for any concrete information you guys have got.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Although it was originally conceived prior to the Air Force expressing an interest in the interim or regional bomber concept, the Manta figured heavily into LockMart's plans for the FB-22 Interim Bomber project.

The Bad News:
As of sometime in December 06 the interim bomber concept (which gave fans of the Northrop Grumman F-23 some hope that it may be reincarnated as a bomber) was no longer being researched or pursued.
This announcement ended any hopes of the Manta/FB-22 & the FB-23 of ever becoming a reality - at least with the current administration.

[edit on 2/15/2007 by bios]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bios

As of sometime in December 06 [edit on 2/15/2007 by bios]

Do you have any links to this info? I never heard hear on ATS or Air Attack that it had been canned. Thats a major bummer any ideas as to what they are focusing on? My guess would be the Tanker programe and or the High altitude and High speed bomber programe.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It is my understanding from people both Natalie (Intelgurl) and myself know who are associated with the FB-22 initiative that it is no longer being actively pursued. There are plans that have been drawn up, everyone has seen the CG images, etc. but the actual thrust of the project has hit both budgeting and post-Rumsfeld, Pentagon policy snags.

In regard to your request for a link to the information I stated - I am having a problem finding General Moseley's actual online comments concerning the FB-22 and the policy changes that have eliminated it - when I do I will post them.

I have found the following links that help substantiate that the FB-22 is no longer being considered an option:

"...in late January (2007) Air Force officials changed direction and began saying privately that they were putting FB-22 plans on hold."
"Decisions Made - But Perhaps Not Final" - Washington Watch, Page 4

"At the behest of Congress, the Air Force considered various long-range strike options and seemed to be promoting a two-seat, enlarged version of the F-22 fighter, called the FB-22, for this purpose. The FB-22 now seems dead in the water."
"Long-Range Strike: The Future" - Air Force Magazine, Vol. 89, No. 3

[edit on 2/16/2007 by bios]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The X-44 MANTA (Multi-Axis No-Tail Aircraft) is intended to test the feasibility of full yaw, pitch and roll control without any use of tailplanes (horizontal or vertical). Attitude manipulation relies purely on 3D thrust vectoring.

The aircraft itself is an F-22 Raptor-derived design featuring a stretched version of the delta wing and deletion of the tail surfaces.

Edit to add images I hope this is what you were talking about

[edit on 6-3-2007 by 19 Kilo]

top topics

join