It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel will begin separating itself from Palestinians...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Hot off the wires!

Sharon: Israel will begin separating itself from Palestinians within several months if Palestinian side does not make moves toward peace. Details soon.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ok, got a bit more information courtesy of Reuters.

Sharon vows steps if peace plan fails
Thu 18 December, 2003 18:35

HERZLIYA, Israel (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has said in a major policy address that Israel will take unilateral steps for separation from the Palestinians if a U.S.-backed peace plan fails.

Sharon said on Thursday the "road map" was the best path to peace, but Israel would act in months if the Palestinians did not follow it.

He said that a "separation plan" would involve the redeployment of Israeli forces and changing the distribution of settlements to reduce the number of Israelis near centres of Palestinian population.

"If within a number of months the Palestinians will continue not carrying out their part of the road map, then Israel will initiate a unilateral security measure of separation," Sharon said.

He said any measures would be coordinated with the United States, Israel's main ally.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Good plan.

This should put sufficient pressure on the Arab world to carve out a deal.

If not then at least it may be enought to greatly reduce the violence over there.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Or it may just be like pouring gasoline on a fire....

It really equates to "agree to peace or else". Now I'm not exactly on the Palestinians' side (not even by a stretch of the imagination), but I can't see this announcement as a positive omen. Having the plan is one thing....announcing it to the world, is another altogether......

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   

We should all try and remember that.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'm having a deja-vu. It's like all this has happened before.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
"We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than hate us."

-Paraphrased (quite frankly due to the late hour) from Golda Meir.

I think that picture above speaks volumes. If only both sides could see it from that perspective... then REAL progress could be made.

My quote is from one side of the conflict but I am sure that many on the other side feel the same way as well. In my opinion any peace will start with the children. Children like the one in your picture. # the old rule from both sides, they're too corrupt to do anything useful anymore.

[Edited on 12-19-2003 by Djarums]

top topics

join