It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the US constitution prevent females from becomming president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
extrnal source

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. HE shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice-President chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

www.usconstitution.net...

in the constitution the office of the president is Gender specific, how can any women become president as it is currently written?

[edit on 10-2-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It's called English. Masculine pronouns can pertain to male and female. It makes it easier than writing him/her or he/she

But with the last 20-30 years of political correctness, I can see how you would be confused.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
the constitution as wriiten for the house and senate says "persons" gender neutral, only the office of president is gender specific

external source

No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

www.usconstitution.net...

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Gender Neutrality is exactly what I am talking about. This is a phenomena that has been around for about 20-40 years.

Remember when a rainforest used to be a jungle?

Remember when ACE used to be the place with the helpful hardware man? Not helpful hardware folks? (I cringe everytime I hear that commercial)

Remember when you got hired at work and had to report to Personnel? Not Human Resources.

Remember when your mail got delivered by a Mailman?

Gender Neutrality is all about Political Correctness. Find an English textbook from about 40 years ago, and you will see what I am talking about.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm gonna agree with RRConservative and say that it's just a gramatical thing. The real question is CAN a woman be elected president in this day and age? Even with the last 40 or 50 years of womens rights and the huge strides they've made i don't know if a woman could be elected president yet. We're close but not there yet.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The use of "he" there doesn't mean anything. If you look at the real qualifications for President, it is neutral:

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
And yet, even when the consitution says 'person' for congressman, it only permited men into congress for a long time.

It was never intended that a women would be president, or in congress, or even have the ability to vote.

It doesn't matter what the consitutional language is, today, women, men, blacks, whites, etc, are permited into any public office.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The Constitution never banned anyone from voting or running (except for the age and residency requirements needed to hold office), it just left up determining the qualifications for voting to the states. Early on, that usually did mean a white male landowner over 21. Later, amendments specifically banned the states from denying blacks, women, then 18 year-olds the right to vote on account of race, sex and age respectively. There still is no real Constitutional right to vote for President though, it's still entirely legal for State legislatures to appoint electors on their own.

[edit on 2/10/2007 by djohnsto77]

new topics

top topics

join