It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7+ Feet of Snow Buries Upstate New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It's forecasted that the Lake Ontrario region of New York may receive an additional 3 more feet of snow by this weekend and here it is February where lake effect snow is almost unheard of.

NWS Regional Snow Analyses: Northeast

More than 7’ of snow in parts of Oswego County
Upstate NY snow fall levels:
Parish: 7’ +
Mexico: 6’ 4”
City of Oswego: 6’
Lewis County town of North Osceola: 6’
Snow Gallery I
Snow Gallery II
Snow Gallery III

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Lake effect snow is unusual now because usually the lakes are already frozen over, but this has been until recently a pretty warm winter. Here in New York City, we have yet to get any major snow event, but it's certainly cold enough for it now if any system comes along.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Lake effect snow is unusual now because usually the lakes are already frozen over, but this has been until recently a pretty warm winter. Here in New York City, we have yet to get any major snow event, but it's certainly cold enough for it now if any system comes along.

Doesn't look like much for snow in the short term for the Big Apple, but you might get a several inches in the last week of this month. Then it's suppose to warm up into the 50's at the end of the February.

These oddball weather patterns are full of surprises too.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Getting that much snow dumped on you in such a short amount of time isn't that unusual. I grew up in oswego county.....remember my dad having to jump out a second story window in the morning because the front door was blocked....
what's unusual is that I think this is only their first or second significant snow event this year. it's been a really mild winter, so the lake hasn't frozen over. now you have this nice artic wind blowing across that nice still fairly warm water...and well...you have snow, lots of it.

just one of many, many reasons we moved south.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thats nothing.....we had 2 inches....yes....TWO INCHES of snow here in London yesterday. All but melted now of course, but still....again i will repeat....2 whole inches.

The media went crazy. It was as if the sun had just exploded.
Cannot imagine what would happen if we got 7 ft of the stuff. They'd probably all have convulsions

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Getting that much snow dumped on you in such a short amount of time isn't that unusual.

N.Y. County Nearing 100 Inches of Snow
New York's governor declared a disaster in Oswego County, where five straight days of lake-effect squalls have dumped nearly 100 inches of snow, and even more snow was forecast through the weekend.

"They'll get more tonight, probably enough to eclipse 100 inches over seven days," weather service spokesman Jon Hitchcock said Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They are approaching 100 inches of snow which is only 2 inches shy of most snow ever recorded in a single event that was 40 years ago. More snow is coming too, so it looks like the biggest lake effect event ever.

Lake-Effect Snow Climatology in the Great Lakes Region
But the granddaddy of all lake-effect snows in the Great Lakes basin appears to be the accumulation that hit Oswego, New York over the five day period 27-31 January 1966 (some of the snow may have been due to a blizzard moving up the coast). By the time the snow abated, 259 cm (102 inches) of snow had accumulated, about two thirds of the city's annual total. About half of that total fell on the 31st.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
They are approaching 100 inches of snow which is only 2 inches shy of most snow ever recorded in a single event that was 40 years ago. More snow is coming too, so it looks like the biggest lake effect event ever.

Actually, we have surpassed that in some small towns north of me. According to a Local News Site we are up to 111 inches. I've quoted the numbers in case this linked page changes.

SNOW TOTALS
Oswego County
Redfield – 111”
Parish – 94”
Mexico – 88”

I swear that on last night's 11:00 news somewhere had 121 inches but that may be the wine talking...

I live just south of the "snow belt" and we're only averaging 6-8 inches per day. Five miles north at my uncle's house, they're averaging 1-2 feet per day. In contrast, in the December snow event, we had 18 inches fall in three hours over our house. Five miles north only had three inches. Got to love the lake effect...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I watched a CNN report from Oswego while waiting for my lunch this afternoon. The guy was by the lake and it was insane. There were ten foor waves of chunky ice, sometimes even larger ones. It looked like he was at the north pole. Giant ice dunes and snow blowing "like a sandstorm" in his words

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm in Rochester, NY. We really didn't have snow until the beginning of January. It was a green Christmas. I was pleased and sad, because I knew the implications of this weather. Our lakes aren't frozen yet. The coastline is, but that's about it. They are freezing, but not to any consistant ice. In the deeper portions of Lake Ontario, it's still water.

Thanks Global Warming!

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It's a record now at 11'4"! The old record was 10'7" for Redfield, NY and it's still coming down!

House Buried By 136" of Snow WTVH, NY
Redfield's 136 Inches Of Snow May Be New Record North Country Gazette

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here are the official totals from last week's event:

Source

Just short of 12 feet.

Quoted here for posterity.

The lake effect has drawn to a close and below you'll see the snow totals of this historic lake effect event. Officially, 141" of snow fell in Redfield. The National Weather Service doesn't keep a record of long-term snow events, only 24 hour totals. The largest 24 hour total was 28" in Redfield. The record 24 hour snowfall is for Montague. 77" of snow was reported back in 1997 there.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by titian]

[edit on 2/13/2007 by titian]

new topics

top topics

join