It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US answer to global warming: smoke and giant space mirrors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The U.S. government's solution to global warming is to pump sulphates or reflective dust into the air, and build giant space mirrors or screens. These solutions are seen as an attempt to steer the UN's IPCC report on climate change, that is due out next week.

www.guardian.co.uk
The US government wants the world's scientists to develop technology to block sunlight as a last-ditch way to halt global warming, the Guardian has learned. It says research into techniques such as giant mirrors in space or reflective dust pumped into the atmosphere would be "important insurance" against rising emissions, and has lobbied for such a strategy to be recommended by a major UN report on climate change, the first part of which will be published on Friday.

Scientists have previously estimated that reflecting less than 1% of sunlight back into space could compensate for the warming generated by all greenhouse gases emitted since the industrial revolution. Possible techniques include putting a giant screen into orbit, thousands of tiny, shiny balloons, or microscopic sulphate droplets pumped into the high atmosphere to mimic the cooling effects of a volcanic eruption. The IPCC draft said such ideas were "speculative, uncosted and with potential unknown side-effects".

The likely contents of the report have been an open secret since the Bush administration posted its draft copy on the internet in April. Next week's science report will say there is a 90% chance that human activity is warming the planet, and that global average temperatures will rise another 1.5C to 5.8C this century depending on emissions. The US response shows it accepts these statements, but it disagrees with a more tentative conclusion that rising temperatures have made hurricanes more powerful.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

See the US document here (pdf)

Related information:
U.N. climate report will shock the world ATS
Geo-engineering in vogue RealClimate

So the U.S. solution is to make acid rain and play Star Trek, before reducing emissions? I can't say that I am surprised to see more smoke and mirrors from this administration, so like global warming their level of incompetence is still rising. That and commonsense tells me, if the soup is already rancid adding more ingredients to it will make it worse.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Is this a big joke or are this people for real.

What in the heck this people are talking about.

I don't think you can patch global warming with mirrors in the sky.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Wow, so Bush reads Zacharia Sitchin too?

But seriously, this is worrisome for so many different reasons. Like we haven't already screwed up the atmosphere enough, now we have to start actually shooting stuff up there??

We can't just do the sensible thing: cut emissions. Nooooo, we have to be Star Trek.

Jeez.

[edit to add, sorry about that, I am, in fact, aware that our president doesn't read at all, Sitchin or otherwise.]

[edit on 26-1-2007 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Although reduction of emissions would be helpful for the reason that many of those gases aren't fun to breath in, I'm not so sure that we can reduce them enough to make a real difference. Personally I think that the reflecting some of the sun's rays might just be a good idea to go hand in hand with reduced emissions.

So really, why not do both?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well it usually boils down to, no pun intended, that if man can't take care of the planet, the planet will take care of man. So it's a good possibility some of those in control and their deathhead's kult cheerleaders are going to buck climate change solutions, because they see Earth as overpopulated and over burdened, so if 5 billion go poof then it's better for them. Those on top will still have the money and resources to survive, where as the lower classes die off first.

UN's vast report will end the scientific argument The Hindu

The report will say that it is "highly unlikely ( extra DIV

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Umm okay block out the sun and put us into an ice age...good job. Oh wait so we will have no sun, be cold and have TONNES OF POLLUTION FLOATING AROUND? Wow what a good plan.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Wow, so Bush reads Zacharia Sitchin too?

You're probably right in your edit when you say Bush never read Sitchin, but that doesn't mean dozens of his srtaff haven't.

Amazing that a proposal to fix our polluted atmosphere would entail pumping more into it.

Insanity.

Regenmacher... the severely depopulated planet very likely is on somebody's 'to do' list. Seems the old 'send 'em off to war' method isn't cutting it anymore.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Okay so the scientists say the Earth is warming up, and the US comes up with a way to cool it down.

Smoke, mirrors, screens, whatever, it makes the planet cooler, which is what we need, right?

This is a solution, it's not perfect, but it means we don't get to drown in rising sea levels.

Why's everyone moaning?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moley
This is a solution, it's not perfect, but it means we don't get to drown in rising sea levels.

Because it's not a solution, it's a farce. You don't pump the atmopshere with sulphates that cause acid rain or shoot up 100's of rockets filled with hydrazine, when we are trying to eliminate contamination of the enviroment.

No, it's not perfect, it's just plain stupid.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Did anyone bother to checkout the source of this article? The Guardian is not above printing something that is totally false if it will embarass the Bush administration. Furthermore, the only aspect of the so-called plan that has been focused on is the sulfate part of it. Sounds to me like a bunch of people crying the "sky is falling" without bothering to check anything or even reflecting seriously about the article.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ummmm is it possible that this could be the whole chemtrail issue going public? I thought I read somewhere that chemtrail contents had some sulphur and we all know they are released at relatively high altitudes.

That aside it is a stupid idea.

brill

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Did anyone bother to checkout the source of this article? The Guardian is not above printing something that is totally false if it will embarass the Bush administration. Furthermore, the only aspect of the so-called plan that has been focused on is the sulfate part of it. Sounds to me like a bunch of people crying the "sky is falling" without bothering to check anything or even reflecting seriously about the article.

Yes, I agree and think you should reflect on it all and do more research.

So here's a few more articles to get you started:

US urges scientists to block out sunSydney Morning Herald
US bid to block sun to stop warming The Age
US: use mirrors to solve global warming UK Telegraph

Whitehouse Delays Release of Study Showing Toxic Rocket Fuel in Most Americans EWG
44 Million Women at Risk of Thyroid Deficiency From Rocket Fuel Chemical EWG
Rocket Fuel Chemical Found in Breast Milk of Women in 18 States LiveScience
Rocket Fuel Chemical Found In Lettuce Samples ABC
Let Them Eat Rocket Fuel TomPaine

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
lol. This sounds exactly like something the U.S. would come up with.

And if the reports that say global warming is a natural part of Earth's cycle, what right have we to disrupt it? Humans ain't gonna exist for all that long, at the rate we're going, so I think it's just plain rude to destroy the planet in the way that we are doing for the future inhabitants.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So predictable.

This administration's solution to everything: Don't like it? Shoot it. Kill it. But never ever attempt understanding, cooperation and harmony. Like living together without war is not possible.

I hate to consider their childhoods. Must have been horrific.

...We do NOT know anywhere near enough about how this planet's systems work to start mucking with them. BAD idea.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When given the choice of returning the paleolithic age or sending mirrors into space, I'd pick the mirrors everytime.

I don't see any problem with the theory. It could certainly work, even if global warming isn't caused by human activity.

[edit on 1/28/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Humans ain't gonna exist for all that long, at the rate we're going, so I think it's just plain rude to destroy the planet in the way that we are doing for the future inhabitants.

I doubt humanity is going to embrace fatalism and just leave the planet to another species to take over

I suppose smoke and mirrors is no better though.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't see any problem with the theory. It could certainly work, even if global warming isn't caused by human activity.

I see multitudes of problems in putting 55,000 mirrors into space which will create tons of rocket exhaust, fills our orbit with space junk, uses up limited reources, increases poverty, increases famine, increases war, increases disease, decreases longveity, etc. I suppose it's a good idea if your goal is extinction.

Guns and sunshades to rescue climate BBC

Consider the notion of shading the planet with mirrors. The US National Academy of Sciences found that 55,000 orbiting mirrors would reflect enough sunlight to counter about half the doubling of carbon dioxide.

But each mirror must be 100 sq km; any larger and you would need a manufacturing plant on the Moon, says Dr MacCracken. The price tag of space-based fixes makes them prohibitive - for now. .

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Rocket exhaust is mainly water formed from liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen.

I don't see how this could create poverty, famine, war, disease, shortened longevity, or any of the other social ills you list.

[edit on 1/28/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Rocket exhaust is mainly water formed from liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. I don't see how this could create poverty, famine, war, disease, shortened longevity, or any of the other social ills you list.

You should look at links I posted in regards to rocket fuel pollution and effects on health. Maybe you better look up what are greenhouse gases too.

War on climate is inflationary. That and such a project is considered economically inconcievable and most social programs will be have to be eliminated and taxes leveled to fund it, which means less income and aid for people which will increase poverty levels, and as poverty increases then so does disease, war and mortality rates.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It is ridiculous, dangerous and as everything humans do, to think that they can control and manipulate nature is going to fail.

Earth cycles are natural events, perhaps enhanced by out side factors like the troublesome human species that has become a parasite in earth.

The same way species get exterminated and new ones come back better and improved . . . so humans that are nothing more than just another species in this planet either evolve or die.

And mirrors are not going to stop these natural cycles, actually it perhaps will help hurry them up.

Earth knows best and when it really gets tired of us Humans, it will take us with a gran finale, or either take us out a littler bit at a time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join