It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

education downhill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i think education i going down hill terribly it is partly to blame with teachers and lack on understand of these kids and domestic problmems can play a huge part too. I this should have more though on the way education is not being treated. they are turning a blind eye

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You have so many typos in your paragraphs, I can�t understand a thing. What point arte you trying to make?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
That is stupid. The reason education is going downhill is because it is supposed to. Kids are supposed to be stupid. They are taught bull sht so that they can grow up to be perfectly controlled members of society. Not because the teachers don't understand the kids and problems that they may be having at home. That is a lame excuse for ignorance. Demestic problems should have nothing to do with what our children are taught.
Kids would learn if they were taught properly and truthfuly.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 01:54 AM
link   
My teachers aint not did a good job with we kids....weve been teached just find....there aint nuttin wrong with me education....youv have probs....

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Teachers are in a frickin union which means that they want more money every year to do less and less work.

That means they want to teach less and less.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 02:45 AM
link   
My engrish teachar told me I have purfect prunoncietion.

I don't think anyone should rely on teachers to supply education. I think the majority of it needs to come from parents. Parents need to get more involved on their childs life and not "trust" that the teacher's are doing what they are suppose to be doing. Not only are you helping your child with education, you end up forming a great bond between yourself and the child.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:10 AM
link   
It's not totally the fault of the school systems that children are idiots. What about the kids' parents? My parents started teaching me how to read before I was even old enough to start school. I skipped first grade because I was ahead of all the other kids. Most kids get ignored by their parents or sat down in front of the television, which wouldn't be that bad if they were watching something of educational value. I'd have to say I learned more from reading books and watching PBS than I was ever taught in school.

If parents would encourage their children at a young age to always be curious and to educate themselves about the world around them, then maybe they would be more intelligent regardless of how crappy their school was.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I agree. There are many parents out there that neglect to take time to perhaps sit down with them and read a book to them. Although here in Arizona it also has to do with the lack of organizations putting forth some money to keep the school systems up to date with new supplies and such. Our state has the lowest educated school systems in the U.S. We lack in teachers and other needs (such as books, supplies, desks, even more rooms) for the children to learn in a safe environment.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The role of teachers are to teach the syllabus, to give the students the information they need and assist them to reach the standard required .

They are not your mother, father, counsellor, Social Worker, therapist, or punching doll.

If your life is screwed up then GET SOME HELP don;'t blame it on teachers for not understanding you.

If you are incapable of concentrating for the 40 minutes or however long it takes, because of drugs, short attention spans, no sleep, or don't care; and if you are unable to do your homework because your playstation or TV is more important, then take responsability for your own actions.

Teachers are the scapegoats for the rest of the problems in society.

In the end their job is to provide the information and assistance not to spoon feed you and wipe your a$$.

Originally posted by rockie
i think education i going down hill terribly it is partly to blame with teachers and lack on understand of these kids and domestic problmems can play a huge part too. I this should have more though on the way education is not being treated. they are turning a blind eye

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
However..I cannot say that years ago and while I was attending school I did

Being young and in school and especially if you are struggling to learn and finding it difficult to do just that can cause or even add a great amount of stress on top of just being a teen. Teachers receive very little recognition and appreciation..yet they must care otherwise they'd simply walk away and seek a higher paying job with less stress.

Rockie-Try to relate to your teacher(s) better, ask questions, don't be afraid to ask and ask until you feel you have the correct answer. Show interest and enthusiasm in learning. No need to go overboard, just show up and concentrate on your subjects. If anything school systems have more knowledge to provide and this can be harder on the pupils.

Get your parent(s) involved..obligate them if you have to. The teachings shouldn't stop because the school bell rings.
Mags

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The teachers at my high school are very good

there now making grading even harder, taking away D's
so theres only a,b,c,f

Writing pappers is gradded much harder then ever before.

There pushing math to a hole new level.

BUT this is driving us studits CRAZY becouse 45% of us CANT keep up the work load! so we go F IT and dont do the homework becouse we have so much OTHER homework

Pappers are more and more gradded on the computer and more then you know the computers arnt kepted updated and failing hardware=losing months worth of work!

they NEED to make sure EACH computer is UPDATED there now FORCING netscape =crash and we are getting soo little many that we cant dry our hands in the bathroom, the teachers can only print 25% of as many pappers as before 911!!!!!!!!!!!

Like i said there grading MUCH harder then before so when your kid comes home from school with a F witch should have been a D, Fock OFF

there taking the "D" out of, math,history,science and english

the teachers HAVE to teach SO much that they have to skimp serten stuff do to a "goverment" school "plan"

So all you people DO NOT realy know what your talking about ASK someone thats there!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've been there. Why post something that you know others will read and reply to? Also, what kind of school do you go to? Is it a high school or private or something else? Many schools have different grading systems and such. It also depends on how high your school does on SAT tests and the AIMS... (if you're in a highschool) that could be a reason why your teachers are making you work harder and grade harder.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
if you have good parents that makes all the difference, sadly most parents suck today and are too concerned with themselves. so when the parents don't give a crap and the teachers can't handle your kids at school, we put them on meds and make them little drug addicts. who can doubt that education is going down hill when you have family doctors prescribing drugs like they are candy. this adhd, add thing is total b.s. and it contributes to education going down hill. look at it this way...are you telling me that in the 50's there were not hyper kids? how where they dealt with? with discipline, today and i see it all the time since i work with kids, parents beg and plead with their kids to get them to do what they want, what a joke, my kids are dealt with loving discipline and they do well for themselves and they think for themselves...imagine that.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
yes highschool

theys new grading rules are now fully enforce, they started making theys rules last year.

Yes, it is the kids falt for failing a class, but the schools arent helping

(Also do to buget there taking away most summer classes, witch alot of us banking for bailing us out of hot water)

I failed 1 class all year last year, but it elective class, but now im failing science witch i hope the last report i did was one i put alot of work into witch should have saved my @ss)

Im going to a public school near san fran, i like can walk to SFO airport in 15 mins if i wanted too

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by Dmsoldier]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
First of all, you mean to say which, not witch.

Second, children do not read, which is a serious problem.

Third, teachers are a problem, but there is no uniformity so it stands to reason that there is a problem.

Kids are to blame most of the time in school. High school is too easy to fail anything at the moment, and they keep dumbing it down.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
what we need is a new way of teaching, and new things to teach. how about trust, love, compassion, or what ever else the kids want to learn etc. sure you may say that it should be the parents job to do that kinda stuff, which i believe is entirely true. but as you've all said, a lot of parents are dick-wads. plus, if you haven't noticed, life at school and life at home for a kid are two entirely different worlds. thus, if such things were taught in schools, it could reach a lot of other areas. but alas, proposing such an idea seems little next to impossible. from what i'd imagine, there would be too much conflict in trying to bring such an institution about. though if anyone could help me out here, i have heard of some schools that stand close to these ideals. can anyone add to this, about where and what they are about if anything?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I am thinking about becoming a teacher. I pray that I can make a positive difference in my students lives. THe education system where I am from seems to be failing in a lot of ways, very few leave high school with a grip of basic math, scientific concepts, and writing skillz. Remedial college classes are a must for many graduates and something needs to be done about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I agree with the posters who said that parents need to play some part in teaching their children, and I also agree with the poster who said that highschool is about impossible to fail these days. I graduated 2 years ago. My parents played very little part in my early childhood education, when I went to kindergarten, I could write my name, tie my shoes, and say the alphabet. That was it. Thanks to good genes, it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 weeks to learn to read. By the time I hit third grade, my parents were playing a big part in my education, I was reading at the adult level, and doing math out of a college math book my dad and uncle were teaching me things out of. As a result of this, I was given the chance to go from second grade straight to sixth grade, but didn't cause my mom thought it would ruin my "social interaction", but that's a whole other can of worms.

I think some more attention needs to be placed on the KINDS of classes offered. My school offered basically no advanced placement classes until my senior year, but at that point, my graduation requirements were met and I graduated a sememster early. I think that more AP classes should be offered. I also think that students shouldn't get placed in special ed for spacing off in class. Make them learn. The state and schools need to not look so hard at the damn standardized testing. At my school, the 6 of us who scored perfect scores on the ITBS and ITED, plus the 15 or so that had average scores made up for the people who had low scores, so the curriculum was rarely changed. I also think that the requirements for a teaching certificate need to change. Once again, my highschool. We had 5 different teachers that lost their jobs in a year because the students knew the materials better than the people teaching it. There really is nothing better than an English teacher who can't pronounce words, put a sentence together, and generally has no grasp on the English language. Maybe a Geometry teacher who knows jack sh�t about geometry and just spends a semester teaching how to do proofs. Or a history teacher who DID NOT know that the USSR had broken up and Germany was now 1 country. I mean, make sure the people with the teaching certificates know the sh�t they're supposed to be teaching.

jrod--best of luck to you if you do become a teacher. You sound like a reasonable person who seeks to make the piss poor education system in this country work.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm not going to blame teachers. A lot of them are good folks, but they get handed crap to teach the children with. The parents got their own problems, so they don't teach enough to their children. I lucked out and got a head start early, but after that, my parents didn't help one bit. It's all in that head start. After grade 2, I could have been at the head of my class every year in every area not related to math. I wasn't though, mostly out of apathy. I don't care. I mostly went out and taught myself, because what they teach nowadays in school is total bull#. Anyone in the Ontario system, look at careers:a perfectly well-meaning course gone horribly awry.

We get a poor sylabus, so we're not driven to learn, and what we do learn is mostly crap. Maybe I'm not a good person to consult on this, but it seems that every year things slide further backwards. There's a bad combination of the cirriculum getting easier and the students gettings flat-out dumber. If you're not challenged, you won't be driven to succeed. However, it all goes back to a numbers game: you can't have too many kids flunk. While there is 15.5% of the total population below the magic 100 IQ, we all get reated like we're one of them. the better students are shackled to the worse ones. They drag the classes down. I'm gonna get flamed, but kids should be seperated by they intelligence level. Kids should be put in classes where they can proceed at a decent pace for them, with other kids at their level.

DE

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
i beg to differ about saying its impossible to fail, if that was so then why are so many failing or dropping out? i mean im the only in my family that is graduating this generation (born in 79-85) and barely too, special diploma because ill planning by schools since elementary school has made it so i just lately started to understand geometry, simple math, writing, etc just recently and im 21
, so to even get in college i need to take the GED.

new topics

top topics

join