It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Dr. Dino" sentenced to 10 years for tax fraud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Kent Hovind, aka Dr. Dino, has finally been sentenced to 10 years in his tax fraud case. Kent Hovind had illegally claimed tax exempt status for his creationist activities.

www.pensacolanewsjournal.com
A newly remorseful Pensacola evangelist, who still disputes the government's right to make him pay taxes, was sentenced Friday afternoon to 10 years in prison on federal tax charges.

His wife, Jo, will be sentenced March 1 on charges of evading bank-reporting requirements.

Before his sentencing, a tearful Kent Hovind compared his situation to that of the lion and the mouse in Aesop's Fables.

"I feel like the mouse," Hovind told U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers. "I stand here in great fear of the power of this court. Your decision can destroy my life, my ministry and my grandchildren."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When Jesus was engaged in his living ministry, there was an unpopular tax upon the people of Judea, and Jesus specifically instructed them to pay their taxes (Matthew 22:21).

The irony of a man claiming to be a minister and to operate a tax exempt ministry, which Hovind doesn't, being found guilty of tax fraud, is incredible. Almost as incredible as the fact that this liars lifetime of lies, which go far beyond the issue of tax liability, have finally caught up to him. He has truly lived up to Galatians 6.1-10.

Related News Links:
www.drdino.com
Analysis of Hovind
Talkorigins Kent Hovind FAQ
Fraudulent Dissertation

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Evolution: the conspiracy of creationism's favorite son, Hovind.
Dr. Dino locked up for 10 years
Hovind's Tax Fraud Case
Science vs. religion...

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Nygdan]

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I find it fascinating that Hovind, as quoted above, is saying that he is the 'mouse' trembling before the lion. It doesn't even make sense in light of the fable, the mouse helps the lion, Hovind is just a liar and a cheat, how is he the mouse, other than being powerless?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here is the diploma mill, an unacredited 'university' that hands out 'higher degrees', the Hovind went to:
www.patriotuniversity.com...
And also an article from the Wikipedia on it:
en.wikipedia.org...

This all goes to illustrate just how much of a fraud "Dr." Dino is. He paid to get a fake degree from a fake univesity, and won't even ALLOW people to see his supposed 'thesis' and review his work. The man is flat out dishonest.

Will this mark a turning point in the evolution-creationism struggle? Hovind is something of an 'outsider' from even the organized creationist 'mainstream', like Answers in Genesis, and other such groups. So what happens to him is relatively independant of them. But will the fact that he's been shown, in court, to be a liar, fraud, and overall scumbag, reflect poorly on the perception of creationist ministers?

Seems unlikely, given that the christian fundamentalist community is rather gullible and open to manipulation from its authorities. Recall that there have been many 'ministers' caught red-handed in the act of cheating, pretending to have 'magical healing powers'. But even with the fraud exposed, their acolytes simply ignore it and continue to send in money to these charlatans.

Heck, Hovind will probably go straight back to defrauding people even after this 10 year sentence. He might even be thrown right back in jail not long after it.

join