It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to a good, ORIGINAL movie??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I remember when I was younger, I loved going to the movies with my parents, watching all kinds of movies, ORIGINAL ideas, CREATIVE ideas.

Star wars--How cool was that? Nothing like it, not even close (example)

It is more apperent to me now than ever, producers have given up, and fallen into the slipstream that is movie hell. More and moreso now, these stupid F**** are just taking tv shows that usually sucked to begin with, and make a movie with. Charlies angels, Starsky and Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, etc. etc.

I think the SAW series is the only series of movies I can think of off the top of my head that was Brutally original, completely off the grid, and of course every other shmuck follows suit instead of trying to compete. And the REMAKES......OH GOD THE REMAKES!!!!!!!!

Texas chainsaw massacre, while it was a good movie, it wasn't original. I can walk the floor at the local best buy, and find a hundred movies on the new release shelf that are identical as those in the classic isle. Flight of the Pheonix, with dennis quade. good movie, not original. I officially belive that hollywood has given up. It takes people like me who are fed up with creative laziness and lap-dog-itis to really come out and shine.

And when did movie producers think that after the crappy sequels tank, as we knew they would, that a prequel would make it all better?

There is a new TCSM prequel, a new Hannibal prequel??? What is this crap? Where is our generations Star wars?? Saw is a good start, but come on, If I see one more comic book movie made on some lame character, i'm gonna flip out.

I love x-men, I would love to see a fourth, but that's not gonna happen unless they follow the cable storyline, and I love the Spidey series, they haven't screwed that up yet, but, the others are a little "iffy"

It's the same thing over and over.

Ghost rider looks interesting, and I'm looking forward to Transformers very much (mostly due to my connection to them as a child), but If they tank, then i'm giving up on movies all together, and staying online 24/7.

Lookout.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Secondly, video game-crossovers. Doom was atrocious, although the first person idea was original, the rest of the movie didn't hold much water.

How many game movies are they gonna make? The line is blurring whether games came out first, or the movie.

If hollywood screws up halo, I can't describe how pissed I'm gonna be.
They better use the same voice actors. Anyone have any Halo movie info?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
What's TCSM? I can't think of what it could be.

I agree with you on the mess of remakes and lame ideas though. It's just not in movies however, it's in tv as well. The first '24' was new and original, but now it's on series 6? It all smacks of lazy writing, as well as the Hollywood machine.

I'm a sci-fi fan, and I've noticed that most of the original sci-fi of recent years, like Battlestar, SG-1 and Farscape have all been from non-American companies. (SG-1 is Canadian, Farscape was Australian and Battlestar is half-funded by the British Sky TV and is made in Canada.)

Get rid of the studio machine and you'll find more original stuff coming out.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
TCSM = Texas chainsaw Massacre

Correct, as the shows begin, they are new, inventive, and creative. However, they tend to get lazy as they drag it on beyond reasonable limits due to the fact that it is a "hit"series. Thus in effect, they kill it in the end.

I personally like The 4400, it's about the most interesting series I have watched in a long time.

My favorite show of all time though for TV would be Quantum Leap with Scott Bakula in the 80's. The storylines were always orginal, and they didn't require much depth to make them entertaining. Such a mundane situation as a ballplayer hitting a home run, and all the people around him that he affects was a brilliant concept. I can't buy the seasons on DVD fast enough. I haven't seen all the episodes, but my one of my favorites is when he is sent back to as a teenage kid, to prevent his sister from marrying an abusive man, and saves her by drag racing a station wagon in the 50's. He wins by adding a little known thing as "Nitrous Oxide". To which, back then, no one thought of using it in a vehicle for performance.

Very entertaining show, I recommend it, if you can handle the bad hair and funny clothes.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Is it Laziness, or have all of the original ideas been taken? I mean, when movies just came out, I´m sure it was easy to come up with a new and inventive plot. But now that everything has been done, it´s extremely hard to come up with new ideas. I guess I´m not all that picky when it comes to movies, though. I mean, I definitely enjoy a good, thought-provoking movie, but I don´t expect every movie to be that way. They are just for our entertainment, anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
There is a difference in making a movie that is exactly the same plot line and story line as another, and making an original movie in a different fashion.

There isn't anything original about SAW, except the whole movie took place in one room, and it was a big puzzle. That is what made it creative and new. Not that it was any different than other slasher flicks, except the main characters themselves were the killer.

It's not hard to be original, it's just not that common anymore.

new topics

top topics

join