It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your city hit with a Nuke, what should be in your B.O.B.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
What should be in a bug out bag (B.O.B.) specifically intended for having to get out of a major metropolitan city, on foot, during a Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Attack, or even just a general collapse of the government.

A bag, say, the size of your average bookbag, something that can be brought in to your place of work, once, left in a big desk drawer or closet, and not so big as to cause a problem.

I am thinking of a disaster scenario where you need to get out of the city, and make your way back home in the suburbs of the city. Obviously, that is very short term. So you're not going to be bringing, say, an axe to cut wood for fires, etc. But it might conceivably take an overnight or two.

I would think that you'd need:

1. Walking/Running shoes (you wouldn't be wearing them normally)
  2. Iodine Pills and/or high does vitamins (for fall out)
  3. Dust Masks (the white carpenter types, not a full gas mask as this seems like it'd be too much)
  4. Emergency Ponchos (a couple of them, in case it rains and brings down the fall out, can dispose of quickly afterwards)
  5. A map (so small and light, might as well take it)
  6. A flashlight that doesn't require batteries (any powered on device will be shorted out by the EMP of a nuke attack, so one that needs to be shaken to power up might survive)
  7. A zippo lighter (not needed for a one or two day thing, but so small, why not, if shiny, can also be used as a signal)

Should it also have a bottle that has a purifying filter built in, will that filter sort out the radionuclides and let you drink the water? Water would'nt be important enough to risk it over a single day, but what about a few days? Is it worthwhile?

This is a situation where, hopefully, once you've made it back home, you are going to be relatively safe, its just a matter of evacuating a major, densely settled area on the fly. You can't count on driving, because of the EMP pulse or also just because of traffic. You clearly can't count on the government to evacuate you, just like in Katrina.

What is the likelyhood of electronic materials, like flashlights and radios, surviving the emp pulse, if they have their batteries out? Is a windup radio, or one of those 'shake to charge' flashlights reasonable to expect to survive the pulse?

Some sites say that you should shower ASAP if you have been exposed to fall out, or even, say, smoke and cinder from a 'dirty bomb'. Is there some way to prepare for that with a 'bug out bag'? Should it include a change of clothes?

Clothing is something of an issue. I'd think that you wouldn't include clothing in the bug out bag, because you can't inlcude winter clothing in it, and you'd be wearing seasonal clothing anyway. So maybe you'd put the emergency poncho (they fold up so small, can have a bunch of them in a bag), when there is a problem, and then ditch it and put on a new one every so often?

Is there a better alternative to a simple paper carpenter's mask? Remeber, you can't pack a biohazard suit, so you're never going to be completely safe from some nerve agents. But is there a good, small, relatively inexpensive alternative to the paper filters? Especially considering that you can pack dozens of paper filters and just constantly replace them throughout the day?

It seems like you could also stick in a booklet or two. But clearly you're not going to be sitting down and reading an entire book, but maybe something that has quick explanations. Like, is it safe to cross a river during a nuke attack? How important is it to avoid rain? Is my compass working? Maybe even a map with known large fallout shelters on it??

I often hear that the number one survival skill is to remain calm, think, not give up, and not panic. So, what if some of those papers had simple, calming statements of reassurance. Like you've written on them "you can surive this, it is doable, stay calm, you can make it to your destination' etc. Or instructions on how to build a simple fall out shelter, because perhaps its just not safe to run out of your building and try to run home, immediately after the attack.

So what else needs to be included, and where can you get some of these items?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wow, this is going to require quite alot of thought before I post again, but for now I will have to say as many MRE's as I can get.

My only hope in case of this situation, is that i'm close to a primary blast site, so that I may be spared the horror of SURVIVING. The outcome will be far worse than the actual bombs themselves.

You ever hear of a movie called "the day after?"

It was an 80's TV movie, I picked it up on DVD. If anyone wants to see what will really happen in this kind of scenario, then watch it.

I'll have to get back to you on this one....good question

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
How much time do we have? If it's nuclear, are you talking a strike or say terror attack?

I live in los angeles and I'm pretty sure I live basically in the ground zero area of los angeles. So getting out of town is not easy, traffic sucks here when there isn't a threat of a nuclear attack, I can't imagine the kind of comotion that would cause.

I believe the only thing I would need would be a yoga video to help stretch so that I can competently place my head between my legs and kiss my well you know the rest.

I would think something really bad like a chemical or nuclear strike would making leaving L.A. near impossible.

I've got a gas mask though if it's chemical and am fairly well stocked for say a city wide shutdown and I have "escape" routes planned depending on different scenarios.

But nuclear, I just think I'm tooled.

SPiderj

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Good Start!
I have a couple of suggestions as well as alternatives:
Dust Masks (the white carpenter types, not a full gas mask as this seems like it'd be too much) You can use a moistened cloth to cover your mouth and nose. If available, you can add charcoal such as what is available in most pet stores for your fish tanks.

4. Emergency Ponchos (a couple of them, in case it rains and brings down the fall out, can dispose of quickly afterwards)
Actually, in the case of a nuke, put the poncho on, do not wait for rain since radiation will be riding on the particulate matter that will be thrown up by the explosion. Also, a good pair or medical type latex gloves will be good to have.

I would also add the use of safety goggles. They maynot be perfect but they will add protection for your eyes and keep a large portion of dust from your eyes. Note, since your eyes are moist, they are more suceptable to attracting dust than the rest of your body.

Another item would be a water bottle / flask since you will need to drink during your trek to safety.

Also keep a good hunter's compass handy. I personally would avoid any major traffic routes since that is where everyone will be headed. I would prefer to use a direct route.

Keep a couple of the "energy bars" that are readily available in most stores as they are high in proteins and carbs which you will also need.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Forget the paper mask hehe...

I would recomend the following...

1 x S10 Gas mask (or US equivilent)
2 x Filters
1 x NBC suit
NBC Over and under gloves
NBC Rubber boots (that go over your normal boots)
1 x Drinking bottle with straw (that fits the mask)
Chem detection papers
Knife

And always keep a fresh bottle of water in your work BOB because traveling with all that kit on will make you sweat like a pig on stage

This all fits into a medium sized rucksack that can be carried on your back and should be able to get you home (depending on were you live) you should also so have extra masks/filter/suits stashed at safe house in case that becomes compramised

Obviously im just covering the basics here... there is much much more that could assist you in such an event...

You may want to check out this thread to...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
No a bad start. As part of our general survival kits we have 5 prepacked backpacks ready to go. Each is self contained and has food/water for 4 days (There are practical limits to how much the smaller members of our family can carry)

My extensive first aid kit is designed to be modular and I would tailor it to the needs of the party I have at hand.

Nygdan's kit is pretty good and I would offer only a few suggestions. Some sort of tarp
Alternative means of fire starting
MRE's (due to size and the fact you can eat them without heat. The ultra high calorie bars are so energy dense it can make people sick)
Defensive weaponry
As far as the masks. I agree a full on gas mask may be overkill and more imp. attract unwanted attension. But an N-95 or 99 mask will give much better protection that a simple dust mask and not draw as much attention.

In regards to you little ones. I have a laminated card that gives my sons name, vital statistics, medical issues, and 5 contact numbers and adresses that are both in state, out of state, and out of country in the event he would become separated. Incuded in this is money and a calling card on the perhaps slim chance someone would be willing to help him.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is not something i can say i have really put a whole lot of thought into as it is so rare i ever go near bit a big city.

However i have a belt that has the essentials in it i could litteraly grab and go, it wouldn't be ideal for a the nuclear attack scenario described because it lacks the clothing / dust masks already described.

it would be really tough for alot of people to get out of a city on foot on foot. Even if you lived withing walking distace and werent already converted back to your origial elements by the origial blast, you ahve radiation to worry about and being mugged for your kit by those with less foresight than yourself.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

As far as the masks. I agree a full on gas mask may be overkill and more imp. attract unwanted attension. But an N-95 or 99 mask will give much better protection that a simple dust mask and not draw as much attention.

Dust masks and/or N-95's will not protect you against radioactive fall-out or certain chemical devices (which penertrate the skin) N-95's are designed for Bio hazards... so i guess it would be ok for things like anthrax etc...

As for someone trying to take my kit... well, thats why you need protection! (ill say no more than that)

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I agree with you on the N-95 masks but: They will filter out some of the fallout as they are designed as particulate filters (be it organic or inorganic material) they are also alot more accessable for most people than a real gas masks that would protect you from everything under the sun.

They will do nothing for radiation expose except perhaps keep some amount of radiactive dust from entering your lungs where it can do much more damage

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I would first decide whether travel is the thing to do. If I could get to a basement or somewhere to wait out radiation, that may be the thing to do. Radiation falls off sharply in a couple days and does a good job of clearing out potential aggessors.

Of course direction of fallout would be a major consideration in that decision. Chasing radiation is not a good plan. When I did move I'd want to make sure it was in the right direction.

But for the kit, I would definitely have potassium iodide to protect my thyroid and as much water as I could carry. If I did a mask I'd get a full face with carbon cartridges as mentioned. That and a poncho would be my thing to keep dust off.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Tyvec suits are good for fallout protection. Cheap, and more important disposeable. You don't want to put on clothing that has all ready been contaminated. Use a cover-all made of Tyvec, and toss it away at the end of the day. The same goes for any type of dust mask or respirator. Think about it, your nice carbon cartrage keeps the radioactive dust out of your lungs, but you don't want it sitting on your face full of fall out. The rule is, change your filters and clothing often until you get out of the radioactive area. And remember...No filter is 100% effective. Radiation goes right through anything you can wear other than lead and you are not breathing through lead.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Some intresting informations here Especially by Fred T.

His load out in equipment and his identification kits for lost members of his party is an excellent idea. Also moneys stored with the kits.

I also agree with a earlier poster about weighing whether to leave at first or wait it out in some kind of shelter for a few days. But have the equipment/kits such as Fred T has posted on hand ready to go for each member of your family.
It would take some planning and pre staging but it can be done.
Most of us spend that much and more at the local convenience store annually.

Terapin...contamination and radiataion..two different concepts..though contamination can give off radiation too.

Radiation ..the intial energy level ... quite high given off in such a blast weapon.

contamination...the radioactive particles floating around and landing everywhere after the blast. They too give off radiation levels/energys but not usually as high as in the intial blast. Though in a reactor ..close to the core these levels can be quite high on contaminated particles. Over a million counts in a given sized area..verses say....400 to 500 counts in a low level given sized area.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Having been trained in emergency radiological events, I can assure you that significant import is given to avoiding any contamination, even small amounts. Fall out dust can kill. It will take a while, but once it gets into your lungs, it is going to happen. Keeping that dust off of you is important. While the levels may be small, any radioactivity is too much as it builds up over time. A dental x-ray wont kill you, but having small amounts of exposure, over a period of time can cause serious damage. If a nuclear event happened in your city, where fall out was a factor, it is important to avoid any and all contamination no matter how little.

Putting a used filter on your face, that is full of radioactive dust, simply isn't a good plan. If you are going to use a filter, then make sure you have sufficient spare cartridges.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by Terapin]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i don't see the point in trying to survive a nuclear attack. who cares if you die or not? we all have to die at some point..

Even if you have the best running shoes (item no.1 on ur list) in the world, you still can't outrun death.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'd have like a atsload of instant everything. coffee, cappicino, noodles, soup, anything in a wrapper and is tasty, Id bring a george foreman grill and a bunch of steaks and eggs. I'd bring the whole bbq outfit with me just in case Im not around a electric socket. Sleeping bag would be appropriate. I get my cash and my belonging's and bounce. Oh yea water bottles of it in another bag. Then I'd run like a child on the first day of school skipping my way evading the NWO. I'd have to deal with sneaking into places to take a # cuz you wont catch me taken a crap behind a bush, im civilized god darn it and i wont stand for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
A strong campaign for a new 911 investigation would be waving around flags that say "Where are we going to poop! the NWO is starting a nuclear war!"

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
god know's what china and these other guy's have learned about missiles and capabilities. The chinese guy will beat the american kid in school anyday.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Easy

large bottle of whiskey
a small jar of KY jelly so I can touch up my rear-end to insert my head into.

To me it would be a waste of time. Who would want to live on a planet with widespread nuclear devastation. It would be pointless.

Just to add, my wife works with N95 masks. In order to ensure a proper fit they are custom fit and usually a smoke test is done. Yes they would filter some of the stuff out but they would not serve their intended purpose completely.

brill

[edit on 20-1-2007 by brill]

[edit on 20-1-2007 by brill]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta

Even if you lived withing walking distace and werent already converted back to your origial elements by the origial blast, you ahve radiation to worry about and being mugged for your kit by those with less foresight than yourself.

My apologies, I seem to have given you credit for this line in Mantas post. My apologies again for this mix up.

My short term plans are to have on hand some baby wipes and diapers..the non disposable type. I also have a gas mask cartridge type.
Also duct tape is kept around here. We have sometimes used tape as a press to remove small amounts of contamination to acceptable levels.

I too have been trained in decontamination proceedures having done work in nuclear reactors. This is where I became familiar with the concept of radiation verses contamination. Most of the fallout refered to here in these scenerios is contamination from the initial blast.

THanks for your reply,
Orangetom.

top topics

join