It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PayPal refuses to distribute funds collected in name of slain American Soldier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
deadspin.com...

Corporal Adam Knox, in Iraq, with Iraqi Kids, holding Buckeye flag

Corporal Adam Knox was killed in Iraq while on Patrol. His brother is a reader of Deadspin, a website that apparently focuses on sports, to which he had previously submitted that great photo above. The people at Deadspin decided to set up a fund that people could donate money to, the money would go to his family and apparently his comrades in arms.

They set it up with Paypal. Paypal, without Deadspin having requested it mind you, created the account as a "Charitable Organization", which ends up requiring specific legal paperwork demonstrating that its a registered non-profit. It isn't a registered non-profit, and has no such paperwork.

So What did Paypal do?

They froze the account, and are preventing the people from distributing this money to his family and comrades. They froze the account because of their own mistake. And they don't seem to give a damn who it was for, or what is was all about.

Thats absolutely pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. This is an American Solider, and a friendly and good one by the looks of it, killed on the battlefield. And Paypal just doesn't give a damn.

Disgusting.

I HAD to send a complaint to paypal through their online complaint system:

www.paypal.com...

I just selected "Company Information" and "About Paypal".

I did that because i really had to know, who's side is paypal even on? Because they're actually making a soliders death more difficult for his family and his comrades-in-arms, who are still on the battlefield apparently. I mean, we've seen people and eviscerated on FOX news for less.

Is this how the US, and its not just Paypal to blame, but also the public for not caring about this, and the media for ignoring it, is planning on treating all soldiers killed in action??

What the heck has happened to this country?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well if Paypal distributed this money to this non-existant and illegal non-profit, then what would stop Joe Blow down the street from creating a bogus Non-profit charity begging for His Grandmas new Heart transplant and Joe Blow goes out and buys a new Ferrari for himself since it was a scam to begin with.

Usually what they will do is refund the money to all the donators and all they would have to do is remake a new paypal account and have the contributors re-donate to the new paypal account. This happened before with some guy that started a Tsunami fund

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
If they pay out the money then there will be a long line of cons of people doing the same. I don't really care what its for, paypal are right. The family should register as a charity to get the money.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
No. I agree with Nydan on this one completely; it’s really disgusting for Paypal to deny money to a family who have just lost a husband. And it serves absolutely no political purpose whatsoever. Therefore it’s probably just them being an incompetent, nit dead company.
I agree if they want to stop people setting up false charities they should be more careful with their paper work. If they don’t have this box ticking stuff, then it’s their fault for not getting this in exchange for the account in the first place; otherwise if the family have broken the law then let someone else prosecute them, and I doubt anyone would be stupid enough. And besides they certainly don’t need to suffer any more, at the hands of a private meagre company.
If people set up false charities then it is our responsibility not to donate to them, just as it is the law of the lands to punish them. This family hasn’t done that; therefore there's no way they should be made to suffer like they had (end of story).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Well if Paypal distributed this money to this non-existant and illegal non-profit,

What is illegal about some people sending money to some other people?

The organization is not, nor ever claimed to be, a non-profit.

Paypal assumed it was, and entered it into THEIR system as such. Then, when there was no paperwork for non-profit status, Paypal froze the account.

They froze the account because of their own error.

Usually what they will do is refund the money to all the donators and all they would have to do is remake a new paypal account

How about, since Paypal is the one that made the error, Paypal takes care of this?

How about, they unfreeze the account, and change their own records from 'charity' to 'not', since it was their error in the first place.

Flyer
If they pay out the money then there will be a long line of cons of people doing the same.

I don't understand how this can be used as a conjob.

The money wasn't collected as a non-profit.

Its as if I made a paypal account and said 'hey, I am cool, please give me money', and people actually did.

But then paypal said "hey, hold on, hold on here, not so fast, WE wrote down on our records that you're a charity"
"but I am not"
"whoa, whoa, just....whoa. Slow down. We have you down as a charity. Do you have your charity paperwork"
"I am not a charity"
"Alright we're going to have to hold on to this money for half a year and then review your case later"

And they ARE holding it for 180 days.

Thats a bunch of BS.

liberal1984
I agree if they want to stop people setting up false charities they should be more careful with their paper work.

Paypal should, rather, fill out their own paperwork properly. The Deadspin people did not request to be set up, within the paypal system, as a non-profit.

I mean, its even WORSE than if Deadspin just assumed that it should be marked as a charity on the paypal registration process and did it, and then paypal wouldnt' expedite the situation.

Paypal was the one that made the error and put them down as a charity, and went and froze the account because it didn't have charity paperwork.

Paypal screwed up, and they won't correct it.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Nygdan]

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Well if Paypal distributed this money to this non-existant and illegal non-profit,

What is illegal about some people sending money to some other people?

The organization is not, nor ever claimed to be, a non-profit.

Paypal assumed it was, and entered it into THEIR system as such. Then, when there was no paperwork for non-profit status, Paypal froze the account.

Nygdan Im sorry but If you go to set up a business account which is the only one you can do that with, there is only one way to choose Non-profit

I don't believe you can get a donation button unless you have a business account, and it must be either they accidently chose the wrong category or possibly they collected a lot of money and the account got flagged for suspicious activity. I can't see how paypal accidently chose that for them when clearly you can see you must pick a category.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Why should Pay Pal, or anyone else pay for the United States attacks in other countries
to advance personal and private worth?

You wanted a serious topic, lets get it on.

That soldier was convinced that America and Pay Pal had his back... He was wrong.

America and it's Pal's are criminal and we know it. Complaining won't change it.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGANTER
Why should Pay Pal, or anyone else pay for the United States attacks in other countries

Then don't make a donation.

If a person wants to donate some of their hard earned money to this soldiers family then that is their business--not yours. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
paypal in my opinion is a very shady organization.just check www.paypalsucks.com... and you can read some horror stories.i personally have been done wrong by them.they continually tried to take money from my account that i didnt authorize until i had to cancel the account and change banks.to top that off paypal put me into a collection service and tried to collect money as a bad debt for something they had no proof of how or why i owed this money to start with.paypals answer was its in collections we cant release that info.they could not even prove to me why i owed them to start with.it totally was and still is a major hassle.if anyone here uses paypal stop while you can.change banks and be on the lookout for a phone call one day from an agency trying to collect a debt you dont owe.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
And Paypal wonder why it's got such a poor PR record and that thousands, no millions, of people won't touch them with a bargepole. Lost count of the number of people I've seen on Ebay here in the UK that won't have anything to do with them.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGANTER

You wanted a serious topic, lets get it on.

That soldier was convinced that America and Pay Pal had his back... He was wrong.

America and it's Pal's are criminal and we know it. Complaining won't change it.

Iran and Saudi Arabia send money to the families of suicide bombers. Who incidently are the REAL CRIMINALS. They kill their own people on purpose.

Unfortunately American families are not taken care of by their government or any other.

These people are just trying to take care of someone who has lost the family breadwinner.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I had heard many bad things about PayPal but I figured I was too small potatoes for them to mess with me.

I was WRONG!

After waiting 36 hours to get a frikkin' PS3 - I finally succeeded in selling the dang thing to a reputable buyer on E-Bay.

(no it was not worth it, I didn't make but a few hundred dollars - but I had a friend who convinced me - accurately - that it would be a fun, stupid thing to do)

After completion of the sale - and after getting good feedback by the buyer - I trnasferred the money ionto my bank account.

I then paid bills - which was a huge mistake.

Paypal - withou contacting me - went into my bank account and took the money back out.

(not only my profit - but the cost recoup on the PS3 - so it was over a thousand bucks I thought I had in my account)

When I asked why they froze my account - despite jumping through E-Bay's draconian hoops for PS3 sellers- they said I was suspect - for selling a PS3!

Now remember - Ebay owns them now - so how the F do they get off - after I followed all ToS - in accusing me of being a criminal.

Well after a week of shouting at managers on their hard to find customer service line (I had to get it from an E-Bay forum post) I finally got my money back - no apologies, no anything.

And - in this rediculous process - I incurred late fees and other financial hardships - all for using Paypal as a service.

Now - I am starting a couple of businesses this year - and I absolutely refuse to use Paypal now - they've lost their share of potentially millions of dollars - from me alone.

My advice is don't even use them for selling on E-Bay. reasonable alternatives are starting to come of age - and Paypal has become, inexplicably, some sort of thugish organization.

I honestly hope Paypal goes under - I've never been so enraged by a company in my entire life!

top topics

join