It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanderlight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There is a place in the north woods where my family would (and still does) go to celebrate the 4th of July. It's an undeveloped, back woods area which is extreamly beautiful, and loaded with wildlife. I've been going up there for the past 24 years, and I'm 24 now. Something took place a few years back which I hadn't ever seen before and haven't seen since.

I was out on a dock with my dad, sister, and 3 cousins, and we were looking up at the stars. The view of the sky is incredible, without any ambient city lights. Everywhere around us was pitch black, but there was a party going on in the other bay (more of my extended family). We looked over at "the point", which is what we call the peninsula seaporating 2 of the bays. There was what looked like a flashlight shining out at us, but wasn't casting any shadows, then it went out.

We figured no big deal, probably one of our younger cousins out there. It's shrouded in woods with a deer trail (a very thin trail) going out to a camp site. The camp site was where we saw the flashlight. Then it flashed again, about 5 feet down the trail, stood steady, shining in our direction. At least that was how it appeared, because it was a ball of bright light which, if a flashlight, had to be facing directly at us.

It winked out again, and my sister called "Gosh, Danny, we're sooo scared!" No response. It appeared again about 10 feet from where it was before, and disappeared after about 10 seconds. Another 10 seconds later, it appeared about 25 feet away from where it was before, and we weren't hearing any rustleing in the woods as though someone were running blindly through the woods, which is what they would have to be doing.

At this point, we knew this wasn't a person, but had no idea what it could be. It kept advancing by greater and greater distances flashing on and off in about the same time incriment. When it was on, it stayed completely steady. Then it flashed at the start of the dock, and we all just stared, shocked. When it winked out, that was enough for me and my cousins (I think I was about 13 at the time, and I was oldest with the exception of my dad) and we ran up the dock and picked our way up the steps to our cabin. My dad stayed for about 45 seconds longer, until he said it appeared right by his head, hovering over the water. Then he slowly walked back to the cabin (macho firefighter thing, I guess, but he was freaked, too.)

Some people have said it was probably a wander light, but I've never heard of one which flashed like that, or one that only appeared once. Since I've been about 18, I've gone out with the intention of seeing it, but never have. I've spent hours on that dock in the dead of night, looking at the stars and watching the point.

So now my question is: Any theories?

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Forgot to mention, my grandma and her siblings have been going up there their whole lives, and none of them have ever seen anything remotely like that. And believe me, everyone up there knows the story, you can't get 4 teenaged frightened girls to shut up!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm kinda surprised no one had anything to add to this. Does anyone have an idea for another forum or website where I might gain some insight into what happened?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There's a theory that it's some kind of gas escaping out of the earth's crust. But I doubt that though. I saw it on tv once..

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My dad actually went to a wanderlight place in Oaklahoma. The biggest diffrence is that were there the swamp gas wanderlights, they're consistant. They appear often. This was just 1 time, and never again since or before. No one who has been going up there for over 100 years (not an individual, but my extended family) has ever even heard of something like that taking place up there. That was why I doubted it was a wanderlight. Also, wanderlights wander, they don't stay stationary, disappear, and then reappear on a place following the coast of the lake further down, at least as far as I've heard.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
One thing I forgot is that on that tv show they illustrated a story of a wanderlight following a train.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Intresting story!!

I have heard of this sort of thing before, but its more based around ghost happenings,

I cant remember the name of it now but ill try and look it up...

The story goes that if you follow the light it takes you deeper in to the forest and you get lost forever.

kinda scarey !!!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well, this light was trying to get to us, and, from what my dad said after seeing it by his head over the end of the dock, it was spherical, and just as bright as it was out on the point. It didn't get brighter the closer it got...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   
LOL I didn't mean the light was trying to get us, but rather if it was sentient it was trying to get to where we were at. Funny how a couple of words can completely change what you intended and make you sound really paranoid...(And I don't really think it was sentient, but then I have no idea what it was...maybe an alien probe of some sort?)

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
umm, i just want to make a comment(feeling a little like a newbie, commenting to someone w/ 3 times as many posts as me) but is it really nessary to double post? there is an "edit" button in the corner for your using pleasure

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
LOL I'd never even noticed that until you said something. I'm a bit of a noob myself. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll make a point of doing it in the future.

That also explains the [edited by ...] stuff at the end of peoples posts.

Well, I'm going to hang my head in the corner in shame, but I really wish you, or anyone, had something relevant to say on this, unless of course I'm the only one to experience this, or beileve it...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
well, the only thing ive ever come to experiancing anything paranormal is one time at an isolated christian camp's campfire i saw a streak of green grow across the sky. eventually the head of the trail(which was slightly brighter green the the streak) dissappered, but the streak stayed there for over two hrs, which is how long the campfire was. that was in mexico though, and i havent seen anything weird ever this side of the border. sorry

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
it sounds like a orb or something. If it was a gas ball or fire ball it would have some color.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

So now my question is: Any theories?

Could it have been ball lightning??

www.eskimo.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I've seen and researched ball lightning, and I doubt it. There was no ambient charge in the air, at didn't make any kind of pop sound when it would vanish, or explode (I probably would have mentioned the explosion
) The night was crystal clear, but I know that ball lightning has been known to appear on clear nights.

The biggest factor that makes me think this was not ball lightning is the fact that it was stationary. When it was lit, it didn't move...

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The biggest factor that makes me think this was not ball lightning is the fact that it was stationary. When it was lit, it didn't move...

Hmm, it's a funny old world we live in, isn't it??!!

Well, I'm baffled for sure - I also thought of Earth Lights, but I don't think these are stationary?? I've enclosed a link but I'm sure you're well ahead of the game jake!!

www.acemake.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have heard of those, but only through a scientific american and your link. From my understanding, they're typically associated with sismic activity?

I really appreciate your helping me look into this, Genya! Thanks!

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I have heard of those, but only through a scientific american and your link. From my understanding, they're typically associated with sismic activity?

I really appreciate your helping me look into this, Genya! Thanks!

You're most welcome Jake!!
I think that's what's really great about this "community": we're *all* raving, of course, but, at least, we *know* it!!

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I just woke up, and wandered down stairs looking for a smoke. When I got there, my mom was watching a special on crop circles she rented. I, apparently, showed up just in time. They were talking about how, iether right before or after crop circles were formed, people have witnessed "lights". One person had it on film, and that film looked remarkably like what we had seen. I even said "Wow, that looks remarkably like what we saw" to my mom when I saw the video. She was kinda shocked, she had always associated an orb rather then a point of light to what we saw, but we saw it from a much closer perspective then the camera man did. It was the behavior that was simmilar.

Bad point about the documentry -- they said everyone who sees these lights either has or will shortly have a cropcircle. I must have seen this thing about 10 years ago, when I was 15 or 16. There are no crop circles out there. My uncle owns a chopper in which we go up on often, and a family friend has a hydro plane which lands on the same lake in which we witness this. But the footage was interesting, and the correlation between that light and a UFO was interesting as well. After having read this, I ask any MOD to decide if this still belongs in the paranormal or if it should be moved to the UFO section. After 10 years, I still don't know, so whatever decision you make is cool

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Asala, I think you are talking about the will'o'wisp, but I could be wrong. This is an Irish fairy light.

if I remember correctly will'o'wisp are the souls of deceased children who have drowned.

"Will O Wisp:
The Will-O'-The-Wisps, or fairy lights, are quiet and helpful. They appear in the misty Irish mountains to help searchers locate someone lost in a ravine or drowned in a rocky pool. Those who can see the lights have the gift of knowing; they know that their closest of kin are in danger."

Excerpt taken from.
the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com...

join