It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delete our own posts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Will this ever be an option? There are times when I'd like to be able to delete one of my own posts.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hell, I'd even pay points for that option...

Back when the store first came out...I listed it among others...no response though.... Maybe more luck this next time around...???

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
They said it wasn't an option because of troublemakers.

But maybe those members who have a proven track record of good behaviour can be given the deleting option.

I know I have a harmless post that could be deleted in the dreams section. hint hint.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The main problem with the ability to delete one's own posts is that it could, simply, cause mayhem.

Consider if someone has created a mega-popular topic consisting of 100 thread replies. They have a bad day and decide to remove it, that entire topic will be lost!

As has also been mentioned, by deleting one's posts they could inadvertently make a streamflowing topic become incomprehensible.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Consider if someone has created a mega-popular topic consisting of 100 thread replies. They have a bad day and decide to remove it, that entire topic will be lost!

As has also been mentioned, by deleting one's posts they could inadvertently make a streamflowing topic become incomprehensible.

Good point.

Then how about the ability to delete a post, only if nobody has replied to it yet...???

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
By just deleting the content and putting a "Delete please" note in it and then utu'ing a mod, will easily fix the problem...

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
On my vBulletin board, it has an option that allows members to del their own posts. It also has an option to disallow deleting their post if it's the first in the thread....which would del the entire thread, of course. So, I allow them to del any posts of their own, UNLESS it's the one that started the thread. (They have to request that deleted, if they want it removed) XMB doesn't have an option like that?

Originally posted by Gazrok
Then how about the ability to delete a post, only if nobody has replied to it yet...???

This is exactly how vB works (on the first post of a thread), if the option is set that way.

I've also noticed that many of these empty, or "delete please" posts never seem to get removed. I realize it's a big forum, and you guys can't catch everything. I'd hate the job, myself.

[Edited on 12-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Thats why its better to u2u a mod, just to make sure.

top topics

join