It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pratt and Whitney's Next Move?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've been poking around Wikipedia and other websites looking at a whole bunch of different aircraft. After a quick bout of comparing different engines and such, I started wondering: What is Pratt and Whitney's next move here? The F135 engine for the F-35 aside, what else is being developed/planned?

Thanks to all for any previews/clarifications, I'm really looking forward to seeing what is next in America's bag of tricks.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Geared Turbofans.
These are supposed to provide a 10%+ improvement in efficiency.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
What is Pratt and Whitney's next move here? The F135 engine for the F-35 aside, what else is being developed/planned?

How about various combined cycle units giving an air vehicle the ability to go from takeoff to hypersonic with one engine yet utilizing a sequential methodology to achieve it's terminal performance as well as exotic systems using common fuels, etc.

Examples:

Rocket Based Combined Cycle (RBCC) engine - a scramjet with rockets imbedded in the internal flowpath. With this engine approach, the rockets are operated initially, up to a flight speed of Mach 3 or 4. The rockets are then turned off, and the engine is operated in ram/scramjet mode to Mach 7-8 for hydrocarbon fuel, or Mach 12-15 for hydrogen fuel.

Turbine Based Combined Cycle (TBCC) system - turbo-ramjet engines are used for flight up to Mach 4, and then separate ram/scramjet engines are used for flight up to Mach 7-8 (hydrocarbon fuel) or Mach 12-15 (hydrogen fuel).

Hypersonic Scramjets running on hydrocarbon fuel mixtures

standard Turbofans running on alternative fuel sources.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
These speeds that could be achieved are remarkable, but have any methods been developed to dissipate all the heat for times that the aircraft might be cruising?

new topics

top topics

join