It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ION PROPULSION

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i dont know why we dont use ion propulsion more often ex. we can use an ion drive to get to the moon at a lower cos than conventional fuels. ion drives have so many applications i dont understand why we dont see more ion driven probes etc.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
using a large ion drive or a couple smaller ones combined with a bussard collecter you can have a propulsion system that could go almost forever without fulling the xenon tubes because of bussards theory em field they can collect atoms thus filling the fuels cells. could this work ???

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
using a large ion drive or a couple smaller ones combined with a bussard collecter you can have a propulsion system that could go almost forever without fulling the xenon tubes because of bussards theory em field they can collect atoms thus filling the fuels cells. could this work ???

what?? this sounds phenomenal...please expand on the theory, i'm fascinated

Peace
Cyrus

jra

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
ion engines are still pretty new and experimental. They've been used on 2 space probes so far (from what i can remember). the problem with them is that they take a long time to build up speed. the probe launched by the ESA not too long ago (in late summer i think) is heading to the moon and it's the 2nd probe to use an ion engine. it will take 20 months to get there, but that's because it's going to be orbiting earth for a while to build up speed befor going to the moon.

they arn't quite practical for manned space vehicles yet.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ok here it goes using conventional rockets you can speed up the initial craft after the rocket fuel is depleeted you jettison the boosters and fly out on the ion drive. using the em field from the bussard collectors you replenish the fuel for the ion drive. ill make a drawing and upload it sometime soon it will help a lot .

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:21 PM
link   
ok here is more on the bussard method

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
here is a link to the bussard concept on the ramject intakes now my theory on the drive you just use the atoms collected along the way and eliminate the fusion part because to carry all that deuterium is a pain

woodmansee.com...

jra

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Here is an article that i came across on ion engines. nothing really new in it, but it seemed worth posting in here.

www.esa.int...

the whole bussard thing reminds me of star trek and how there warp nassels worked. would be great if this could work for real.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
great site that basiclly explains the idea of the ion drive. but no ion drive has been built on a large scale. i wonder if they are going to build a large scale ion drive.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Perhaps this information from a prior thread will aid in this continued topic:
"NASA's Project Prometheus"
Link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Photos from that thread:

Hope this helps to further this topic/discussion.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hmm nasa's project prometheus is a nuclear propulsion system the pics of the craft (conceptuals look like discovery from 2001) but anyway thanks for the post the ion drive engine pics are great isnt she a beaut.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a pro po here is the short summary on prometheus and the pic i was talking about

hope you enjoy

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My post in the Project Prometheus thread deals strictly with the ION engines that NASA has been working on....and provides two links of information on them.....may want to check them out.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   

a pro po here is the short summary on prometheus and the pic i was talking about

hope you enjoy

www.angelfire.com...

brilliant stuff/topic

am currently saving all webpages,
i never knew there were such things as ion engines....FASCINATING!!
*drools over pic*
thx
Cyrus
ps: thx seekerof, the thread's helped a lot+ a question: can light speed be possibly attained with these things? surely if one rotates enough times around the earth a certain velocity is attained, this velocity is then directed towards a stronger gravitational potentiate (jupiter), a few revolvings around that and you are likely to attain unimagineable speeds....will time slow down as to such an effect? ion engines...possibly the future?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i had a link concerning the prometheus project and the official nasa website about that project and the icy jupiter moon mission using the nuclear drive. gimme a min ill find the link with the story

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
waiiiiiiit...what's more

can one apply the gauss gun effect onto an orbiting shuttle? electrogravity in progress could enable an electromagnetic repulsion strong enough to increase the shuttles orbit speed...ie: the b2/b52 use this technology, x-71 perhaps has developed such technology...holy #, as i type this, i think this is another clue as to the missing link to the electrogravity technology behind the x-71, i know for a fact ion propulsion is used on the x-71, dunno about the x-37 though....a new topic should be opened on this matter, looks like it's likely some very pissed off agents will be reporting back to base that a conspiracy board is likely to have uncovered there leewle secret

*pondering *again* what's behind A51's doors at this time*
Cyrus

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
ok found the site here is the link to it

spacescience.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
cyrus is this what you mean PROPULSION BY MOMENTUM TRANSFER is that what your talking about

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   

cyrus is this what you mean PROPULSION BY MOMENTUM TRANSFER is that what your talking about

electrogravity = antigravity

a repulsion effect turns into a propulsive effect when applied near one of the earth's poles...
the gauss gun effect could be assimilated in a similar manner, a magnetically operated series of boosts sending an item at x times the number of magnetic boosts available....since the earth is round, the item accelerated can simply carry in orbiting untill a maximum velocity is obtained versus the effect of totally ripping away from the earth's gravitational field...which, in that case, an activation of the ion engines will be possible, therefore sending the shuttle hurtling at x times the speed it was capable of orbiting earth....therefore, assumed it started off at 20,000kmh, it could escalate to whatever x times the actual number of orbits it was capable of doing before it officially left the earth's orbit.
ouf....complicated? bear with me, it's a simple methodical theory, electromagnetics could be activated as the counter-effect of the shuttle ripping away from the earth's gravitational field, therefore, the shuttle keeps on orbiting earth untill the electrogravity equals the actual velocity of EVERYTHING acting on the shuttle...
this could take years, but it is theoretical.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
ok but look at this u have a craft that uses em fields but needs a large powerplant to sustain them so u use gates and a sling shot effect to proprel the craft say around orbit of earth another and another out in space and one close to mars as the craft aproches the gate it chrages with the em field of the gate ( sort of like magnets when u combine north and south poles to repel each other) and your on your way to mars .. what do u think about that

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join