It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arsenal: Viera to stay?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Patrick Vieira is set to complete his move to Real Madrid before the transfer window closes, according to his Arsenal team-mate Robert Pires.

Madrid have failed with bids to land the midfield talisman for the previous two summers but the signs are suggesting that on this occasion the Bernabeu giants will land their man.

Vieira has yet to pass comment on the affair, while Gunners chief Arsene Wenger has stated he expects his captain to remain at Highbury.

However, Vieira's Gunners team-mate and France international colleague Pires has suggested that the former Milan man has already made up his mind.

link

[Edited on 13/8/04 by TRD]

Sir

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
They need to sort this out it's dragging on too long and is getting boring. Just like watching the Gooners play..*Yawn*

TRD

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Reports in Spain claim Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira could be a Real Madrid player as soon as Thursday.

The club, also linked with Liverpool forward Michael Owen, is remaining tight-lipped but the media is convinced that the Senegal-born France international is on the way to the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

Diario AS believe the deal to confirm Vieira as a new Real Madrid player will be concluded almost as soon as the Spanish club returns from Poland from their Champions League qualifier with Wisla Krakow.

TRD

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Real Madrid are hoping Patrick Vieira makes a final decision on his much-debated future by the weekend.

Negotiations between the two clubs have taken place over a possible transfer fee, with Real also having had to increase their initial wages offer to the midfielder himself.

However, the Spanish club are still said to be hoping to make a public announcement on Friday, with reports suggesting that a fee of about 23million could be agreed.

Even if there is a last-minute hitch, the situation should become much clearer before Arsenal take on Everton in the start of the defence of their Premiership crown on Sunday.

For Vieira has been given until this weekend to decide on his future by boss Arsene Wenger, who does not want the saga to affect his team's preparations for the new season.

TRD

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Real Madrid have broken off negotiations to buy Patrick Vieira from Arsenal, according to reports in the Spanish media.

Spanish newspaper As reported on its website that Real were unhappy because the fee for the player had risen sharply on Thursday.

Sources said the fee had gone up from 33m euros (22m) to 38m euros (25.5m) plus 5m euros (3.4m) in bonuses.

Real first offered around 20m, while Arsenal reportedly wanted over 28m.

link

TRD

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Patrick Vieira insisted his heart ruled his head in the huge decision to snub Spanish giants Real Madrid's third, and probably final, bid to sign him from Arsenal.

And it was a verdict that, despite it's unarguable logic, surprised even Gunners boss Arsene Wenger who admitted: "It is a huge relief - and a delight. Now we can get on with the season."

Pundits who were certain the lure of mighty Real would finally capture the dynamic midfield star who has been Arsenal's heartbeat for nearly eight years were left with much egg on face - and suggested it must have been simply money that made the difference.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I trhink it's a good move to stay, i mean Arsenal won the title last season and what did Real Madrid win????????

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think its great news for arsenal fans that he is staying, remember years ago he came from AC Milan right for around 650K (if i remember correctly), i dont think any one imaged he would be come such a important player

and after losing ray parlour i think it was even more vital he stayed to add some more defensive work amongst the midfield

i think hes a great player

rynaldo

TRD

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah they did get him on the cheap and i think he is very important to the team, maybe more important than Henry as he is the driving force in midfield.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yeah they did get him on the cheap and i think he is very important to the team, maybe more important than Henry as he is the driving force in midfield.

didn't get him that cheap if i can remember rightly Arsenal between £3.5 million and £4 million, as a fan i know i'd rather lose Vieira than Henry or even Campbell as well

TRD

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Was it as much as that, i can't remember. Thing is a striker is only as good as the men behind him. If you dont get the service and the space created from the midfield you won't get that many goals.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Was it as much as that, i can't remember. Thing is a striker is only as good as the men behind him. If you dont get the service and the space created from the midfield you won't get that many goals.

Yes i agree but Arsenal have Gilberto/Edu now im not saying they are as good as Vieira but i feel he will be less missed than say Campbell will be or Henry (even tho thinking about it Reyes looks a fine replacement) if they went

new topics

top topics

join