It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Desailly reveal snub for trio - Joins Qatar

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Marcel Desailly has claimed he rejected offers from Celtic, Portsmouth and Crystal Palace before moving to Qatar.

The former Chelsea defender, who has been without a club since leaving Stamford Bridge in the summer, signed a one-year deal with Al Gharafa, formerly Al-Ittihad, on Sunday.

The 36-year-old also revealed he turned down the chance to coach Ghana to make the move to Qatar.

"I've made my decision after mature reflection," said Desailly.

"I'm very happy to undertake this new experience which will last until June 10 2005.

"I'd do well to thank the officials from the many clubs who have had me in their thoughts in the past few weeks - Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, Glasgow Celtic and I forget the others.

"I must also thank the Ghanaian sports minister who offered me the position of coach."

Skysports

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
am glad celtic didnt get him as he is passed his best, qatar seems to be the place where you go when your career is finished and get even more money, a easy route to retirement

TRD

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yeah and it seems like they are willing to pay alot in wages to these players who are looking for one last payday. I guess he will still look good playing for them. He had a great career at Chelsea.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
yip, remember when he signed, chelsea where the talk of the town lol, well maybe not town but uno the phrase i mean

and i agree, he will look good there, a shame he a shadow of his former self

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well past his best, Ron Atkinson was right (taking the racist bits out) he should have retired a few years back.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Real Madrid offered him a one year contract! Can you believe this, why?

join