It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Toney outpoints Ruiz for WBA title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) - James Toney did almost as he promised, outpointing but not knocking out John Ruiz to win the WBA heavyweight title Saturday night.

Toney, a former champion at three other weights, scored a unanimous decision that wasn't particularly close. It was just the third heavyweight bout for the 36-year-old Toney, who has been fighting since 1992. He became the fourth-oldest heavyweight champ and only the third one-time middleweight champion to take boxing's top crown.

One of the other middleweight-turned-heavyweight winners was Roy Jones, who also beat Ruiz. Jones was at ringside broadcasting the fight, in which Toney looked fearsome - and flabby.

While the extra weight didn't look good on Toney, he never lost the swagger he carried into the Madison Square Garden ring. And as the fight swung his way, he grimaced in mock pain at Ruiz and even did a little shuffle after the eighth round.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I didn't like Toney's comments after the fight, Ruiz is a decent honest bloke who knows his own limitations, there was no need for Toney's outburst it only made himself look stupid, ignorant and lacking in class.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
That's just Toney being Toney. He has a big mouth and the skills to back it up. I was LMAO when he made the comments because frankly I agree with him. John Ruiz was the worst Heavyweight Champion in modern times, maybe even ever. The fact that he even won a Championship shows the sad state the Heavyweight division is in.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I can't argue about his lack of ability, but he doesn't deserve to be totally bashed on national TV out of the ring!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon
I can't argue about his lack of ability, but he doesn't deserve to be totally bashed on national TV out of the ring!

Well I guess Toney may have gone a bit overboard but Ruiz and his manager Norman Stone talked a lot of # leading up to the fight saying he was the best in the division and how Toney was a bum and all that crap. If you start talking a bit too much with Toney this is what you get. Ruiz also announced his retirement after the fight. I hope he sticks with it and doesnt come back.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
He won't come back, I think this is it.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

He won't come back, I think this is it.

God I hope so.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I've seen worse, not professionals mind but I've seen worse

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I've seen worse, not professionals mind but I've seen worse

LOL! I mean Ruiz's boxing style (if you can call it that) was all wrong. The guy had very limited skills, and the hugging, my god the hugging. I swear I didn't know if I was watching a boxing fight or another man trying to rape another.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Prison style!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Prison style!

Without lube.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

new topics

top topics