It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Female boxer dies after Golden Gloves match in Denver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

DENVER (AP) - A female boxer died from a head injury sustained in Colorado Golden Gloves competition, the Denver County coroner's office said Monday.

Becky Zerlentes, 34, of Fort Collins, died Sunday afternoon, Howard Daniel said. The preliminary cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, but results from an autopsy conducted Monday were not immediately available.

Zerlentes was hit by a punch from Heather Schmitz, and despite wearing protective headgear fell unconscious during the third round of a bout late Saturday, USA Boxing spokeswoman Julie Goldsticker said.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's always bad for the sport when a fighter dies as a result of fighting. What I found was the fact that this was an amateur bout and she was wearing headgear. Maybe she had an underlying condition that was not detected. Boxing is a dangerous sport and deaths like these just tarnish the sport in the eyes of the public. I feel for her family I wish them my condolences for the loss of their daughter.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
does the sport do underlying checks to make sure they are ok to box?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
does the sport do underlying checks to make sure they are ok to box?

I think that fighters have to get a routine checkup in order to get licensed, but they dont get a serious screening unless they're Knocked Out. This woman could've had a previous injury or condition and getting hit hard in head probably agravated it to the point where it caused death. Like I said it seems strange to me she died the way she did since she was wearing protective Head Gear.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
since it was an amature fight, golden gloves, i hope that everyone gets a physical, if not they have been darn lucky over the years, she was, i believe 34 years old....isn't there an age limit to fight in the golden gloves?

top topics

join