It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: Lewis Likes Looks of Klitschko II

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The Washington Post - July 3, 2003

Lennox Lewis's ever-changing exit strategy now hinges on Vitali Klitschko's left eye.

If the cut that ended Klitschko's valiant challenge to the heavyweight champion can heal in time for a winter fight, Lewis wants the rematch. If not, he will turn his attention to WBA champion Roy Jones Jr.

"I'm opting for the rematch," Lewis said in a conference call yesterday. "I enjoyed that fight. It was just a fight, we went at it. . . . Obviously you have to play dollars and cents, but I'm opting more for the rematch."

Lewis, 37, originally intended to fight Mike Tyson a second time as well as Vitali Klitschko and his younger brother, Wladimir, before retiring. Then Jones ascended from the light heavyweight division to win a share of the heavyweight title from John Ruiz, and Tyson opted not to take a second Lewis fight.

Finally, Klitschko's spirited resistance -- he was ahead on all three judges' scorecards after six rounds in the June 21 fight before the cut prevented him from continuing -- created a major demand for a rematch.

Although Lewis (41-2-1, 32 knockouts) considers Jones an easier fight, only because Jones is nearly a foot smaller than the 6-foot-8 Klitschko, he recognized the need to settle accounts with Klitschko in the public eye before he retires. HBO has offered Nov. 8 and Dec. 6 as possible pay-per-view dates.

If Klitschko (32-2) is ready -- and examined by a Lewis-approved doctor -- the rematch he sought after the fight is his.

Advertising Herself

Women's 130-pound champion Isra Girgrah fights Trisha Hill on July 11 in Atlantic City, which is no surprise, considering the Hyattsville resident has fought there four times during her eight-year professional career.

But what is different this time is the name on top of the show: Raging Promotions, Girgrah's new promotional company.

"As far as the men are considered, they don't usually promote themselves because they can find the big purses," said Girgrah, whose company's name comes from her ring moniker "Raging Beauty."

"We have to find other avenues to make money," Girgrah added. "I'm just trying to promote myself and make sure I'm not taken advantage of."

Girgrah and her husband, Marty Wynn, are planning a three-fight series this summer. After the Atlantic City show, Girgrah will promote but not fight on a July 18 show at Dover Downs in Delaware.

On Aug. 9, Girgrah, along with Norman Hayes, owner of Club Elite, will bring the rematch between Girgrah and Tracy Byrd as the headline bout for the first card held at the new D.C. Convention Center. That card will include several active local favorites, including the return of two-time middleweight champion Keith Holmes and Derrell Coley. . . .

District native and WBO 140-pound champion DeMarcus Corley made his way to Las Vegas for his final two weeks of training for the July 12th defense against Zab Judah. "He's looking great," said Kirk Cashwell, Corley's manager. "Really great."

TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Lets hope he fights Jones...

As for the women boxing i'm all for it i like to see them have a good scrap...

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ive watched some women's boxing and I dont like it that much. Sorry to say but they are nowhere near as exciting as men's boxing.

join