It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: WARREN DOUBT OVER NAZ COMEBACK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Naseem Hamed's former promoter Frank Warren believes the Sheffield fighter is unlikely to ever return to the ring.

The 29-year-old has been out of action for 12 months since a lacklustre points win over Manuel Calvo in London last May.

Before that he had taken just over another year out to recover from his first professional loss to Marco Antonio Barrera in Las Vegas.

The former IBF, WBC and WBO featherweight champion has repeatedly put on hold a proposed clash with Manchester's Michael Brodie and now Warren fears we have seen the last of the Prince.

"I don't think he'll fight again," Warren told Sky Sports News. "I don't think his heart's in it.

"He's comfortable, he's made a lot of money, he spends a lot of time with his family and he doesn't need to fight.

"If he does fight again now he'll be under a lot of scrutiny and a lot of people will be asking if he's still got it - he didn't look like he still had it in his last fight."

Hamed can boast 17 successful world title fights among his 36 wins, but Warren feels the big-punching Yorkshireman never quite fulfilled his enormous potential.

He added: "I think at one stage he was the most exciting fighter that I'd ever been involved with and I do believe at one stage, in the early part of his career, he could have gone on to become one of the great fighters.

"But that disappeared when he didn't fight as regularly as he should have done, when he was cutting corners on his training. It just didn't work out for him from that point on."

TRD

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Naz never did fufil his full potential,to me he was to big headed and thought he was the best..He had so much talent but just wasted it..As the article say's he has enough money so why try to come back,unless he is prepared to knuckle down and do the training and show the world what he can really do...

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:08 AM
link   
His style in the end was too unorthodox and it caught up with him against a quality opponent in Marco. He had power but not enough class to mix it with the best. His list of matches doesn't read too impressively, he beat an over the hill KK and a large bunch of no-marks. Entertaining but too poor a defense to be a great in my opinion.

join