It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: RIP Mr Clough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Sad news today possible the best manager in football died today
Mr B Clough died of Stomach Cancer
The best manager England never had

[Edited on 9/20/04 by AdyBaby]

TRD

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Clough was a fantastic manager and guided Nottingham Forest to all that success in the 70's/80's and Arsenal only just broke their record. It's a big loss to a icon and legend in the football world..

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Mr Clough
Managed 2 sides to the league title that does not sound impressive but the 2 sides were Derby County and there local rivals Nottingham Forest he also took Forest to back to back European cup wins. So think about it Forest have won the Europen cup the same amount of times as Man Utd
he was a straight talking Yorkshire man who talked a great game and his teams always played the game the way it should be played on the pitch rather than in the air(Passing Game)
funnyily enough there was a large petition for him to be knighted of which i had signed not sure he will be knighted now he has passed away
I live in Nottingham but am an Arsenal fan but i am feeling quite emotional about the passing of this great Manager

TRD

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Fans of Nottingham Forest and Derby want the road linking the cities to be named after the late Brian Clough.

Traditionally fierce rivals, both sets of supporters agree it would be fitting to name the A52 'Brian Clough Way' in honour of the manager who guided both clubs to huge success.

"It is one of several very good ideas to remember Cloughie,", said Paul Ellis, chairman of the Nottingham Forest Supporters Club.

"We've had a couple of discussions and it is one of three ideas we think are suitable."

Ellis believes the council could also name the pathway in the market square after the Forest legend - and he wants the club to oversee a lasting tribute.

link

[Edited on 22/9/04 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Nottingham Forest have announced plans to parade all the trophies won by Brian Clough before Sunday's game with West Ham. They hope the silverware will be carried by a number of former players, with a medley of Clough's favourite songs also to be played.

A campaign to have Clough knighted began in the weeks preceding his death, and that now looks likely to gather momentum.

Forest chairman Nigel Doughty has said the club intend to make a fitting tribute to the man who lifted them from the obscurity of the old second Division to the pinnacle of European football.

Doughty intends to involve Clough's widow Barbara in the process, but has asked for the family to be given time to grieve before decisions are made.

link

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Great Manager but an awful man, in his book he blamed the Liverpool fans for the hillsborough tragedy, what a horrible man. He didn't deserve to die but I ain't mourning him too much.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Great Manager but an awful man, in his book he blamed the Liverpool fans for the hillsborough tragedy, what a horrible man. He didn't deserve to die but I ain't mourning him too much.

Dont take this the wrong way but in your opinion who was responsible for the unfortunate tragedy?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdyBaby
Dont take this the wrong way but in your opinion who was responsible for the unfortunate tragedy?

The Police *shakes head*

What way am I supposed to take it?

Go here: www.contrast.org...

Alot to get through but it'll clue you up...or alternatively you can just read Brian Cloughs book.

[Edited on 24/9/04 by John Nada]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thats What i thought you would say

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
you don't agree?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I would like to think no one is too blame and that it was an unfortunate accident
My personal opinion is that people were busy looking for scape goats
Some People choose the Police some chose the fans, Stewards, Stadium who knows who was to blame

[Edited on 9/24/04 by AdyBaby]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
yer, he was a fantastic manager, what he acchieved with forset was amazing. and will be known as one of the best for a long long time

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
A very sad moment in football, Clough was a great manager. The best Englishmen that England never had managing the national side. A life full of quoatables and probably the finest man manager that has ever lived.

top topics

join