It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Bowyer 'in talks with clubs'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Lee Bowyer's advisors have confirmed the midfielder "is in talks" with potential new employers amid speculation a move to Newcastle is close.

A spokesman for the 'Skillequal' company which handles the 26-year-old's affairs admitted talks are underway but would not comment further.

"At the moment, Lee is in talks with a couple of clubs,'' he said.

However, reports in the North-East claim Newcastle have agreed a five-year deal worth �40,000 per week with the former Leeds player, who was last week released by relegated West Ham following a six-month spell at Upton Park.

Bowyer is currently on holiday and no-one at St James' Park would comment on the matter.

Newcastle were linked with Bowyer in January, but the 26-year-old instead opted for a return to his east London roots and joined the Hammers on a short-term deal.

United manager Sir Bobby Robson is a known admirer of the once-capped midfielder, with any move to St James' Park seeing the player reunited with former Leeds team-mate Jonathan Woodgate, who joined the Magpies in a �9m deal in January.

Bowyer would, however, be ineligible for the opening six games of Newcastle's Champions League campaign after he was handed a ban by Uefa for stamping on Malaga player Gerardo while he was at Leeds.

TRD

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Lee Bowyer never did it at West Ham,albeit because of injury mainly,Its good he has gone because of the hugh wage he was getting....As for the Newcastle rumour it has been on the radio all day and it seems like he is in talks with newcastle..If he does go it remains to be seen if he can do a good job up in the North...
Isn't Woodgate at newcastle?? If so do they want to link him up with him again?? It could be asking for trouble...

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Lee Bowyer never did it at West Ham,albeit because of injury mainly,Its good he has gone because of the hugh wage he was getting....As for the Newcastle rumour it has been on the radio all day and it seems like he is in talks with newcastle..If he does go it remains to be seen if he can do a good job up in the North...
Isn't Woodgate at newcastle?? If so do they want to link him up with him again?? It could be asking for trouble...

He didn't really fit in for us, shame I think he is a decent player. Bowyer, Woodgate and Bellamy..... oh dear!

TRD

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Man if he does go to Newcastle i think it would be a mistake teaming him up with Woodgate again,Bowyer is a definate Racist and loves the Beer...I think it will cause lots of trouble...

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Man if he does go to Newcastle i think it would be a mistake teaming him up with Woodgate again,Bowyer is a definate Racist and loves the Beer...I think it will cause lots of trouble...

Remember he wasn't convicted!!

TRD

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Doesn't matter about that,it is a known fact about him,no seceret in london as to what he is like and his family are like...A leopard never changes his spots....

The thing is i think he is a great little player and shame he was injured when he came to west ham i thought he would do a great job for us and if we had stayed up it might have been different...

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by TRD]

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Doesn't matter about that,it is a known fact about him,no seceret in london as to what he is like and his family are like...A leopard never changes his spots....

The thing is i think he is a great little player and shame he was injured when he came to west ham i thought he would do a great job for us and if we had stayed up it might have been different...

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by TRD]

I know what he is like just joking. He is supposed to be a member of C18, don't know if there is any truth behind it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

TRD

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
C18 thats what i heard,also thas his dad is a member of the BNP don't know how true that is...

As for his football if he behaves himself he can be a really good player...!

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
C18 thats what i heard,also thas his dad is a member of the BNP don't know how true that is...

As for his football if he behaves himself he can be a really good player...!

I think he will do well at Newcastle, he is the type of player they need.

TRD

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Newcastle are preparing to launch a charm offensive after finally getting their hands on Lee Bowyer.

The 26-year-old England midfielder agreed a four-year deal before jetting off on holiday, and will undergo a medical on his return before completing the formalities of the move.

However, having done the hard work, his new club will now pave the way for his arrival after admitting he brings baggage with him.

Manager Sir Bobby Robson and chairman Freddy Shepherd flew to London on Thursday to meet Bowyer, who is out of contract at West Ham at the end of the month.

I wish him well he did nothing wrong at west ham and hope he gets his old form back...

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by TRD]

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
His closing comments were nice. He said he wishes West Ham a quick return to the Premiership, and apologised to the fans for not being able to play to his best. His biggest regret was that the Hammers fans never got to see him 100% fit and playing well, while wearing the Claret and Blue. I hope Bowyer enjoys a good spell with Newcastle and can get back intot he England squad.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I thought he would do well at west ham its a shame he was injured..I think he is good enough for the england squad and he should do really well at newcastle..

Shame we couldn't have swopped him for Nobby Solano...lol

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wouldn't want Solano, not the type of player West Ham need. He is good but we are not strong enough to have another lightweight in the team.

top topics

join