It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: kahnes' crew chief fined $10.000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Crew chief Baldwin fined $10,000 in Stewart fiasco

July 13, 2004
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (Ticker) - Crew chief Tommy Baldwin owes NASCAR $10,000. Someone may owe Tony Stewart an apology.

Baldwin was fined Tuesday for instigating an altercation on pit road with Stewart's crew chief during Sunday's Tropicana 400 at Chicagoland Speedway.

Stewart, an aggressive driver on the track and a temperamental personality off it, was involved in an incident on a restart that saw him collide with Kasey Kahne, knocking the young star out of the race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin and team owner Ray Evernham accused Stewart of intentionally running into Kahne, who appeared to get a slow jump on the restart. While the race continued, Baldwin confronted Greg Zipadelli, Stewart's crew chief, and a shoving match between members of both crews ensued before the men were separated by NASCAR officials.

Evernham called for a suspension, while Stewart maintained he did nothing wrong.

Baldwin, who called Stewart "a moron," was fined $5,000 for "actions detrimental to stock car racing" and $5,000 for not assuming responsibility for the actions of his team members. He was placed on probation until December 31.

"NASCAR has made its decision; now it's time to move on," Evernham said in a statement. "I understand why Tommy and the team reacted the way they did in the heat of competition."

The accusations hung heavy over Stewart, who already is on probation until August 18 for an incident last month.

Stewart was fined $50,000 and docked 25 championship points for confronting fellow driver Brian Vickers after the Nextel Cup Dodge/Save Mart 350. He rear-ended Vickers at the end of the race, then grabbed him by the uniform in the garage area

i think nascar wimped out on this one, stewart gave him a classic shot on the left rear and put him into the wall...if you watch the replays you can see tony cut to the left as or soon after he hit him,,,tony knew what he was doing, do i think it was intentional.....you betcha

join