It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Sixers hire Mo Cheeks as new coach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Jim O'Brien was fired Monday after only one season as coach of the Philadelphia 76ers and replaced by former star Maurice Cheeks.

O'Brien, a Philadelphia native who played for Saint Joseph's, went 49-33 in his only season and the Sixers were elminated in the first round of the playoffs.

He was in the first year of a four-year contract that paid him about $4 million a year. O'Brien, though, was not very popular with his players, who often complained about their roles, most notably former All-Star Chris Webber.

Cheeks was one of the most popular 76ers from 1978-89 and played on Philadelphia's last championship team, in 1983. Cheeks was fired March 2 after nearly four seasons as coach of the Portland Trail Blazers. He had a 162-139 in Portland, the fourth-highest win total in Blazers history.

Cheeks will be Philadelphia's fourth coach since Larry Brown resigned and left for Detroit following the 2002-3 season. Randy Ayers was fired 52 games into the 2003-4 season and replaced by Chris Ford.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

I didnt dislike O'Brien but he wasn't my favorite either. If he wasn't liked by the players, then he'd never get the most out of them and he had to go. I am glad to see that his successor is none other than ex-Sixer great Maurice Cheks who was one heck of a point guard and an even better person. He should be very well liked by the players and hopefully will get them to play to their potential.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I just heard this on PTI. I think that this is a move that the 'Sixers almost had to make. O'Brien did do an adequate job. That's not what the players, fans, or the league want. This team has great potential. Now, they have a coach who will be respected, and will get the most from his players.

[Edited on 5/23/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I just hope he's vocal enough to get Iverson's attention, he can be a handful. I think they'll work together good though, I'm sure AI respects Mo and it cant hurt how beloved Mo is in this city.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If AI doesn't show Mo respect, the "Answer" will be:

A. Out the Door
B. See you later, alligator
C. Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
D. All of the above

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Maurice Cheeks got his dream job. Allen Iverson has the coach he always wanted.

Cheeks and Iverson were reunited in Philadelphia on Tuesday, a day after the 76ers fired Jim O'Brien and replaced him with Cheeks, one of the most popular players in franchise history.

'I'm excited about being here. It's a place I've always loved,'' Cheeks said at a news conference held in the Wachovia Spectrum, where he starred for 11 seasons with the Sixers from 1978-89. ``It's a special feeling. It's something I almost can't believe.''

Yahoo!

new topics

top topics

join