It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Probe links Mark McGwire to steroids in '90s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I posted this in the other McGwire thread but felt it warranted a thread of its own.

ESPN.com news services

Five days before the House Government Reform Committee is scheduled to question current and former major-league baseball players about steroids, one of the subpoened players, Mark McGwire, has emerged as a prominent figure of a month-long investigation by the New York Daily News.

Citing FBI sources, the newspaper reported that McGwire's name came up several times in a landmark anabolic steroids investigation that led to 70 convictions in the early 1990s.

While evidence against McGwire was never collected and he was not a target in the investigation, two steroid dealers caught in the probe told the Daily News that another dealer provided McGwire and Jose Canseco, among others, with illegal anabolic steroids.

According to one of the informants, who the FBI said provided credible information throughout its probe, McGwire's regimen reportedly included injecting himself in the buttocks once every three days with two testosterone substances and weekly with another.

sports.espn.go.com...

Now I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but this sure makes my presumptions that much stronger.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
this is a sad story, mark has always been one of baseballs good guys, but i think it is important that baseball faces up to it's problems and follows the story wherever it leads

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Mark does seem like a good guy but if he did take steroids and cheated the game then he's as guilty as Pete Rose, and Pete's been labeled a bad guy since his retirement. In my opinion it's only a sad story if indeed Mark is innocent, if not he brought this all on himself by cheating and then lying.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This was breaking news last night, I guess everybody has had enough of the steroid stories.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Maybe it's just not surprising enough, the evidence is there, with how much he bulked up. I dont' see how you can call a cheater oen of the good guys of the game, though.

top topics

join