It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1960s Federal Government prohibited subliminal advertising.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 07:01 AM
link   
History lesson we should all know, I wonder if this is being abused now that tech has opened the floodgates.

NSA's Subliminal Posthypnotic Scripts

Quite a read, but well worth it if your into this sort of stuff. I had to take a break before continueing.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i dont believe in subliminal messaging in any sense. show me proof it works.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
ADVISOR: Interesting Post. I remember taking a course in school called 'Consumer Education' and i was amazed at how many subliminals they actually add to commercials. Now with satellites and more sophisticated technologies on the rise, they could be feeding propoganda to the general population of much deeper proportions than i care to think about. In Japan or China 2 yrs ago, about 350 children were taken to hospital for seizures while watching the popular cartoon Pokemon'. A lot of scary #e is happening right now that most people are really oblivious to.

[Edited on 23-11-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
In 1957, Vance Packard published a book called
"The Hidden Pursuaders"

Its still available on Amazon after 40 + years

www.amazon.com...

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I always can tell which stores have messages in their music about shoplifting I get all paranoid and also keep hearing the word going through my brain, Steal, Steal, I'v never stolen anything in my life but this is what goes through my mind when I am in a store that has that in their music, I usually leave and don't shop there anymore. Its definitely strong enough to put thoughts in my head that were not there before.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I remm. reading an article about some movie theaters in the 50's tried to use subliminal messages to get people to buy popcorn by flashing pictures of "tasty buttery popcorn" throughout the movie.
It turned out instead of them crowding the counter for corn there was a Long line at the Water fountain, it seems the subliminal worked too good and made them thirsty from the popcorn exposure. heh
It's used all the time in media of all types, maybe not so much subliminal but very suggestive.
..oh yea, the pokemon deal was those kids had epileptic fits due to a certain "scenes" where the character was flashing red lights. It's been proven there is a certain frequency of flashes that can trigger epileptic siezures.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
You want proof? here it is

www.subliminal-power.com...

(This is a link to a FAQ that describes a test conducted)

This company was recently featured on CNN, MSN, and CNET

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thank you Templar. Glad to see some of you are following this thread.

For those of you who needed proof.

Just because I said so is proof enough!

I'm not here to yank any chains, well ok my fellow staff members excluded.

Maybe I should have supplied the following in my above post.

The Federal Communication Commission's (FCC) position is that the use of subliminal techniques involves intentional deception and is inconsistent with a licensee's obligation to broadcast in the public interest (Federal Communications Commission Reports, 44, 1016-1017, January 24, 1974).

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Subliminal messaging is apparantly done alot during movies, with the supposed affect of trying to get people to walk out and order a burger or whatever.

But how many people have you ever seen walk out and get a burger in the middle of a film? Most people get their snacks before the movie. And usually people will only get up and walk out if they really need a piss.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The most famous experiment involved flashing the phrases "drink more coke" and "I want popcorn" for just 100-milliseconds in front of a movie audience. Nobody "saw" the messages, however popcorn sales shot up 57.8% and coke sales rocketed 18.1%. And that was with just one message. You can find many more proven experiments with a simple Google search.

I may get this program to see if it actually works. I have never had somebody prove to me that subliminal messaging exists, an works, but I believe that it may.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative

The most famous experiment involved flashing the phrases "drink more coke" and "I want popcorn" for just 100-milliseconds in front of a movie audience. Nobody "saw" the messages, however popcorn sales shot up 57.8% and coke sales rocketed 18.1%. And that was with just one message. You can find many more proven experiments with a simple Google search.

I may get this program to see if it actually works. I have never had somebody prove to me that subliminal messaging exists, an works, but I believe that it may.

The subliminal mind does not process images recieved by the part of the brain that processes what the eyes see. What you see goes straight to the concious mind, and is stored as a memory. There is a difference between images stored in the mind from what you've seen, and what you've imagined, and apparantly that is what hypnotherapists look for with alien abduction/encounter patients.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative

This has been debunked for years now, yet people still hold on to it as being the truth. James Vicary, who coined the term subliminal advertising, conducted several experiments with subliminal advertising and simply LIED about the results. He was unable to reproduce his claims, so there is simply no proof that subliminal advertising actually works. I think the FCC was just playing it safe, the whole �better safe than sorry� motif.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Final_Wave
This has been debunked for years now, yet people still hold on to it as being the truth. James Vicary, who coined the term subliminal advertising, conducted several experiments with subliminal advertising and simply LIED about the results. He was unable to reproduce his claims, so there is simply no proof that subliminal advertising actually works. I think the FCC was just playing it safe, the whole �better safe than sorry� motif.

www.snopes.com...

Wow, though I thought it was bunk (the rest of this thread) I did believe it was possible. I've never heard of snopes...Could you post another link?

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

www.snopes.com...

Wow, though I thought it was bunk (the rest of this thread) I did believe it was possible. I've never heard of snopes...Could you post another link?

You've never heard of snopes before? hehe, they have been around since at least 1997 and debunked thousands of urban legends/rumors. They have valid sources (listed at the bottom of their pages usually) such as:

Haberstroh, Jack. Ice Cube Sex.
Notre Dame: CrossRoads Books, 1994. ISBN 0-940121-17-4 (pp. 7-10, 130).

Key, Wilson B. Subliminal Seduction.
New York: Signet, 1973.

Rogers, Stuart. "How a Publicity Blitz Created the Myth of Subliminal Advertising."
Public Relations Quarterly. Winter 1993 (pp. 12-17).

I don't have any other links on hand as I've never done much research on the issue other than a few papers in college. Snopes is quite trustable though, I havn�t found any big errors or mistakes they have made yet, and considering how much time and effort they have spent into debunking each legend, I would trust them any day over most news sources.

I came to the conclusion that subliminal advertisements work on the mental awareness of the intended audience. I.e. if the audience actually BELIEVES in subliminal messages and such, they will actually allow themselves to be lulled into it. Sort of like hypnosis.

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by Final_Wave]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
several legislations were presented but no laws were ever passed.

it remains legal to this day..

the more you know................

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

www.snopes.com...

stop relying on snopes.. they are wrong again as usual.
snopes is not a reliable source.. they rely on other sources such as books that are not accurate.. notice they did not actually state the law that prohibits it.. because guess what.. it never passed.. there is no law as they stated..
they are wrong.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It doesn't matter that you don't believe in subliminal messages or not, they do. Here is the proof, now stop refuting stuff you do not know about. It only makes look more ignorant than you are.

This one is the best. At top of page right click background, then select all
co.water.usgs.gov...

Odd Press Statement
September 19, 2000
www.fcc.gov...

About not sending "wrong subliminals"
www.cdc.gov...

Want more reliable sources than say government, how about The History of Subliminal Messages .
www.umich.edu...

Evidently it is real enough to issue a press release about.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
www.fcc.gov...

For more info, search for "subliminal messages .gov", in your prefered search engine. Or if you really like to read, try the same search but replace .gov with .mil

[edit on 12-10-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
It only makes look more ignorant than you are.

you know that seemed aweful rude and inflammatory for a post from a MODERATOR. aren't you supposed to be preventing that type of comment rather than making them.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this qualify as subliminal advertisements. Did you know on some occurrence (not always the case) the banner ads you see on the backstop fence in baseball or football games are computer generated. Advertisers do this to focus ads for your local area, TV viewers from another town would see a different advertisement, and that banner ad cannot be seen by audience in the stadium. Quite like the yellow first down line you see in live football games.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I can't believe people still can't believe subliminal messages do not exisit.
They do. They just work on some people and don't on others.
Why do you think you see so many pre-teen children wearing clothing from Hot Topic?
Why do people need to shop at the GAP so much? Why, when you walk into department stores you hear music that suddenly makes you wanna buy something.
Women and Men are found to respond to different subliminals.
Women they respond better to Shoes, or clothes. Men respond better to tools.

Source=Survey into Subliminal Messages;03-20-2003
100 people polled
adult males polled: 21% responded to hidden messages in music.
adult females polled: 71% reponded to hidden messages in music.

Trust me when I say this, Subliminal Messages do exist. I am a graphic Designer, and when I was in school, they taught us how to hide messages and sounds into things.
Go up to any artist and ask them if they put subliminal stuff into their work. Some of them do, some of them don't.
The study with the men and women thing was a report I did in school.

As for a link to the findings, there is no link, its all on paper with my old teacher.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join