It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act, has it affected you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Alot of people on this board complane about the Patriot Act, and how it is horrible and they feel threatend. Who here has actually lost freedoms or been affected from the Patriot Act?

Provide proof, not speculation.

OR:
Is complaning just a quest to not approve of anything that comes out of this White House.

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by LookingAround]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I have not directly been effected by the "Patriot Act" but do not support it, & want it removed or atleast changed in radical ways.

Why?? Cause there are others people of this country that have been directly effected by it in ways that have nothing to do with fighting terrorism. So the potential for it to effect others including myself in a similar way IS Present and in motion. I don't need a small grease fire in the kitchen to burn my house down before I decided to put it out. It is also the Duty of the American people to defend America from foreign and domestic enemies. Domestic Enemies include the American Government if and/or when it abuses the powers that have been Temporarily Given to it or it's Elected Officials. The Patriot Act also weakens or removes fundamental Rights which cannot be allowed. Atleast it needs to be corrected if not completely redone or removed.

It's not about attacking any or all policies that come from the White House, it is about making sure that the acting officials act in the best interest of the American people. It's about balancing power properly so that it doesn't lead to Unconstitutional Actions.

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Nope not at all. Don't know anybody that it has affected. I think it is just a knee-jerk response from people. "Oh no we might be wire tapped".
Blah,blah.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Nope not at all. Don't know anybody that it has affected. I think it is just a knee-jerk response from people. "Oh no we might be wire tapped".
Blah,blah.

so you think it is no big deal then??? you support the patriot act??

[Edited on 11-21-2003 by sirCyco]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
things dont have to personally affect you to know that they are wrong...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Blah,blah.

It's not just wire tapping!! If that was all it was I could give a rat's A$$ since they Wire Tap phones and stuff already. The Privacy Issues are part of it though and go way beyond just Wire Tapping or Recording Phones and Emails. There are way more dangerous parts to it than that. Have you read the whole thing section by section and thought about it??? I'm talking about the actual document too and not some website that summarized it to make it look worse or anything. It's INSANE Man!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Who here has actually lost freedoms or been affected from the Patriot Act?

I was the victim of an illegal search based on an anonymous phone call. I guess many judges just rubberstamp requests for search warrants. Since the police didn't find anything, they trumped up some charges. The case was SOLed, which I presume is how judges protect police from lawsuits. Still I was unable to recover several thousand dollars worth of stuff stolen by the police. Real life often differs from high school courses on Constitutional rights.

I suppose few people are unfortunate enough to be inconvenienced in places like Mao's China or Saddam's Iraq. Freedom is only important to writers, dissidents, people falsely accused of crimes, etc. Most people just live their lives and learn to keep their mouths shut under things like the Patriot Act.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
yep its affected me.

Beware when you write checks to other people if they are over a certain dollar amount. I do not want to let you know the dollar amount just incase it makes them mad.

FBI will be brown nosing.

I bought a car from a lady i know, this is how i know.

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
yep its affected me.

Beware when you write checks to other people if they are over a certain dollar amount. I do not want to let you know the dollar amount just incase it makes them mad.

FBI will be brown nosing.

I bought a car from a lady i know, this is how i know.

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by Thatoneguy]

May I ask how this is related to the Patriot Act? What happened. I Never had a problem writing a check for any amount.
I don't think the Patriot Act is a big deal. I have not lost any freedoms,have had no invasion of my privacy, and not a single person I know has suffered from the act. Yes it is possible mistakes will be made, and the government will go after and hassle the wrong person. But I doubt it is going to turn into a nation tradgedy.
The one and most important civil liberty I do not want to lose is, being blown up by some moron with a bad attitude,who thinks my life is evil. By all means please tap that persons phone. If he goes into a library and checks out 12 books on how to make bombs I think someone should be checking on them. I think his civil liberties should be questioned.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. Patriot Act is the begininng of far worse things. It's a skeleton key in my opinion. To not be worried about it is to be naive. This is a threat to our personal freedom and privacy.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Anybody with some sources know how of us are being watched because of it?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Blah,blah.

exactly. im not worried about it.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The whole point of the 'Patriot Act' is to allow the government to "secretly" monitor you, never notify you and leave you no recourse should they continue.
The truth is that you have no idea if your being impacted by the 'Patriot Act'. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY!

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Anybody with some sources know how of us are being watched because of it?

Are you asking for sources of what the Patriot Act (Now Victory Act) is set up to do? If so you can check these out for starters. They select the most dangerous sections from the many many pages.

www.infowars.com...
(Analysis in Common Terms with Links to Verify each using the Documented Legal Version of the Victory Act.)

www.cdt.org...
CDT's Printable PATRIOT Act Brochure: What's Wrong with the PATRIOT Act and How To Fix It

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yep, if you write a check or transfer a large amount of money the bank has to report it, or the bank gets in trouble. And it doesn't really have to be as large as some of us think. They want to make sure the money isn't going to a terrorist.

Nobody can open any type of bank account with out showing the proper identification. They also will ask you tons of questions. If the bank thinks you are lying or your id doesn't seem valid you will be reported. If you look like a muslem or have a name as one be prepared to be investigated.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom
The whole point of the 'Patriot Act' is to allow the government to "secretly" monitor you, never notify you and leave you no recourse should they continue.
The truth is that you have no idea if your being impacted by the 'Patriot Act'. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY!

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

If they secretly moniter you...and you never know about,whats the big deal? Does that some how affect your life or the way you live. Seems to me that the only people that need to worry about it are the people planning terrorist activities or other subversive manuvers. I have nothing to hide,why would this bother me.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't support it nor do I support the hyperbole and propaganda surrounding it (Ashcroft on one side/ Librarians on the other
).

The question was has it affected me to which I will answer no, it has not.

And, it doesn't really look like it's affected anyone here either.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the point is this...the govt said that they NEED the patriot act to protect us against terroists.....but do they use it against terrorists??? hmmmmm.... the point is that the govt did the ol' bait and switch..agian....it is another step in chiseling away our freedoms..the freedoms that make america ..america.....

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
yeah katie is right. If you wire money then there is some sort of government form that the agency has to fill out also.

But its probably necessary, since terrorists wired lots of money, or so they tell us.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yes, but supposedly all the terrorists that are threatening us are muslim and arabic right(not true and generlized but you get my point i hope)? So why does it matter what Joe Blow is wiring to Suzy Homemaker? Do you want the government to know what you are doing with your money? Do you want the government to be able to know what kind of books you read or movies you rent? they can use the patriot act on the basis of what you post here!

"Well this guy said he thinks bush sucks so he may want to assasinate him. He's a terrorist! Call in the patriot act boys! Let's nail his commie azz to the wall"

come on guys, don't let them use 9/11 as an excuse to negate the bill of rights.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join