It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is it sin to love godmother's daughter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
i got a friend, his is 17, he has a godmother that has a daughter, and he loves her a lot! they are not blood relatives(as i know) or anything but in christianity i think it's a sin to like a godmother's daughter, i think it's wrong, i don't know what to tell him, any advices?

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:53 PM
link   
um.... can I ask how could it be wrong??? they arent blood related and all a " godmother" is is someone who promises to be a spiritual guide to you while growing up, at least that was what I was taught to believe.

Can I ask on what you base this to be wrong?

any

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   
My advice is stop sticking your nose into other people's business when that business brings them a lot of happiness and nobody else any pain.

"Is it a sin", pshaw.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
She's fair game. tell him to suck it off and lump this # into chitchat.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
someone who promises to be a spiritual guide to you while growing up, at least that was what I was taught to believe.

you know spiritual, you go to chirch she becomes your godmother, bah i don't put my nose into anyone's business i just got interested myself, that's why i ask you people who know, to correct me

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by CyberGhost]

any

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberGhost
someone who promises to be a spiritual guide to you while growing up, at least that was what I was taught to believe.

you know spiritual, you go to chirch she becomes your godmother, bah i don't put my nose into anyone's business i just got interested myself, that's why i ask you people who know, to correct me

You want to put your nose into their business, you said as much in your post "I don't know what to tell him".
So don't lie.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Hi there Cyber......Im Greek Orthodox....in the Christian sense it is not allowed.....
As you correctly pointed out!
But opinions do vary and in many cases people will tell you many things......
Try not to let other peoples opinions influence you ...
helen.......

any

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

Hi there Cyber......Im Greek Orthodox....in the Christian sense it is not allowed.....
As you correctly pointed out!
But opinions do vary and in many cases people will tell you many things......
Try not to let other peoples opinions influence you ...
helen.......

Haven't other people's opinions influenced you in being a Greek Orthodox?

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   

i got a friend, his is 17, he has a godmother that has a daughter, and he loves her a lot! they are not blood relatives(as i know) or anything but in christianity i think it's a sin to like a godmother's daughter, i think it's wrong, i don't know what to tell him, any advices?

No CyberGhost, i don't think its a sin, think about how many related people in the Bible married each other .. sisters and brothers did it all the time. A God parent is only a name, not blood. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. It's their choice anyways, it's their life. If they're happy i would leave it alone.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
hey Helen, we have Orthodox Christianity here too

i heard that it was a sin, and you confirmed it! Thanks!

well Dany he is my friend after all and i want good for him, if he does sin by doing something wrong, and i know that it's wrong shouldn;t i warn him?

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   

hey Helen, we have Orthodox Christianity here too

i heard that it was a sin, and you confirmed it! Thanks!

well Dany he is my friend after all and i want good for him, if he does sin by doing something wrong, and i know that it's wrong shouldn;t i warn him?

Cyber....all you can do is tell him what you believe and be a friend.......
In the end it is up to your friend to decide what needs to done......
Prayer is good on your behalf for your friend and if the frienship is worth more, then it might be better for you not to interfere but say a prayer..........Im assuming you are Christian.....
take care...
helen..

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   
CyberGhost, I'm Christian and I have never heard that before. I also did a quick check into some theology resources and found nothing. I can't see why it would be a sin. It's not incest or anything.

Helen670, I could be wrong, could you show me a verse?

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Dany you said.....quote//Haven't other people's opinions influenced you in being a Greek Orthodox?

No they have NOT!!!

Both of my parents were Greek Orthodox......but as far as knowing about The Orthodox that I do know now....they absolutely did not have any influence in that....In fact, I thought that because I was brought up by Greek Parents...all Greeks were Orthodox,Or Italians were Roman Catholic....Just like my Husband is...

I was willing to become Roman Catholic if they could answer my many questions on why is the Roman Catholic church the truth.....but the answers they gave did not fit in with the truth........The early Christian Church was ONE and all of them had the same teachings of the Apostles that were handed down by Jesus Christ.....
The Orthodox Church(old calander) never changed scripture or 'diluted'(watered down) any teachings ......they are the same as what they were 2,000 yrs ago......Who needs MODERNISM......
helen....

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   
PROHIBITED MARRIAGES

Parents with their own children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Brothers-in-law with sister-in-law.
Uncles and aunts with nieces and nephews.
First cousins with each other.
Foster parents with foster children or foster children with children of foster parents.
Godparents with godchildren or godparents with parents of godchildren.

God-parents. (Godfather, Gr. Nounos; Godmother, Gr. Nouna).Sponsors at Baptism and Chrismation taking the responsibility for the faith and spiritual development of the newly-born Christian. The Orthodox people highly regard the spiritual bond and relationship between godparents and their godchildren, and marriage between them is prohibited. (see affinity).

Affinity. (Gr. Syngeneia). The spiritual relationship existing between an individual and his spouse's relatives, or most especially between godparents and godchildren. The Orthodox Church considers affinity an impediment to marriage

biserica.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   

PROHIBITED MARRIAGES

Foster parents with foster children or foster children with children of foster parents.

God-parents. (Godfather, Gr. Nounos; Godmother, Gr. Nouna).Sponsors at Baptism and Chrismation taking the responsibility for the faith and spiritual development of the newly-born Christian. The Orthodox people highly regard the spiritual bond and relationship between godparents and their godchildren, and marriage between them is prohibited.[/b] (see affinity).

Affinity. (Gr. Syngeneia). The spiritual relationship existing between an individual and his spouse's relatives, or most especially between godparents and godchildren. The Orthodox Church considers affinity an impediment to marriage

biserica.org...

well....... from reading all that I see nothing wrong with this relationship here. He isnt dating his GODMOTHER........ he has feeling for his godmothers DAUGHTER........

bit of a difference and therefore from what you've posted I see no problem.

Anyone else agree here?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
Anyone else agree here?

*raises hand*

Totally nothing wrong with him getting it on with his Godmothers daughter...pretty sure there were some rather dodgy 'relationships' mentioned in the Bible itself...so lets not get all judgemental on a bit of lovin'...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer

PROHIBITED MARRIAGES

God-parents. (Godfather, Gr. Nounos; Godmother, Gr. Nouna).Sponsors at Baptism and Chrismation taking the responsibility for the faith and spiritual development of the newly-born Christian. The Orthodox people highly regard the spiritual bond and relationship between godparents and their godchildren, and marriage between them is prohibited.[/b] (see affinity).

biserica.org...

well....... from reading all that I see nothing wrong with this relationship here. He isnt dating his GODMOTHER........ he has feeling for his godmothers DAUGHTER........

bit of a difference and therefore from what you've posted I see no problem.

Anyone else agree here?

mulberryblueshimmer.......I DONT make the rules!
They are canons of the Church.....and If I remember the question asked.......the answer I gave is what the Churches stance on the issue is what is written......

The answer as above...... Godparents with godchildren or godparents with parents of godchildren..

It's not what we want or may want .....Im just stating here what is not allowed by the Church.......As people.....YES,WE CAN MAKE NEW laws and rules for whatever it is we wish ......and its not a VOTING thing......on who agrees and who does not........each to his own , I guess....
helen......

The place of the Godparent is to raise the child in a rightous manner and consider it as one of her/his own child,to become a Christian and to be within the Church.. .....therefore the child becomes spiritualy (as in babtism .Chrismation)related in Christ as Christ was to the children of Jacob.......not blood related.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
How old is she, that makes a difference doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   

PROHIBITED MARRIAGES

mulberryblueshimmer.......I DONT make the rules!
They are canons of the Church.....and If I remember the question asked.......the answer I gave is what the Churches stance on the issue is what is written......

The answer as above...... Godparents with godchildren or godparents with parents of godchildren..

It's not what we want or may want .....Im just stating here what is not allowed by the Church.......As people.....YES,WE CAN MAKE NEW laws and rules for whatever it is we wish ......and its not a VOTING thing......on who agrees and who does not........each to his own , I guess....
helen......

The place of the Godparent is to raise the child in a rightous manner and consider it as one of her/his own child,to become a Christian and to be within the Church.. .....therefore the child becomes spiritualy (as in babtism .Chrismation)related in Christ as Christ was to the children of Jacob.......not blood related.

Helen....... where am I missing your point?

You said

I am STILL not getting how a 17 year old dating his GODMOTHERS DAUGHTER violates what you've written.

he isnt dating his godmother herself. Nor is the godmother dating the 17 year olds parents..........

and so the problem is............?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
It sounds like a bit of an Elitists club if you ask me, and something from the stone age... Sheesh

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join