It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

US Deploys 20,000 Troops Near Syrian Border

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
U.S. deploys 20,000 troops
near Syrian border



SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Wednesday, November 19, 2003
The United States has deployed 20,000 troops along the Syrian border after Syria failed to stop militants from crossing into Iraq.

As late as October, U.S. officials said hundreds of Islamic insurgents were crossing into Iraqi from Syria. They said Syrian authorities had failed to respond to U.S. appeals to stop the flow of insurgents.

U.S. military officials said the U.S. troop presence was bolstered beginning in September and has resulted in a significant drop in infiltration from Syria. The U.S. troops are based in the Iraqi province of Anbar, Middle East Newsline reported.

Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, said the military completed a 200 percent increase in U.S. troops at Anbar. Swannack told a briefing in Baghdad on Tuesday that the increased deployment was also meant to stop infiltration from other Iraqi neighbors, such as Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
But the U.S. presence has not halted the flow of insurgents from Syria. On Monday, the U.S. military said six suspected insurgents were captured near the Syrian border. One of them was later killed when he tried to attack a guard.

Swannack said the U.S. troop presence in Anbar has resulted in reducing the flow of insurgents from Syria. He said Islamic insurgents have launched attacks against the U.S. force near the 500-kilometer Syrian border. But he called the attacks ineffective.

"We are not fighting foreign fighters coming across the border in significant numbers," Swannack said. "We are fighting mostly former regime locals."



posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
U.S. deploys 20,000 troops
near Syrian border



SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Wednesday, November 19, 2003
The United States has deployed 20,000 troops along the Syrian border after Syria failed to stop militants from crossing into Iraq.

As late as October, U.S. officials said hundreds of Islamic insurgents were crossing into Iraqi from Syria. They said Syrian authorities had failed to respond to U.S. appeals to stop the flow of insurgents.

U.S. military officials said the U.S. troop presence was bolstered beginning in September and has resulted in a significant drop in infiltration from Syria. The U.S. troops are based in the Iraqi province of Anbar, Middle East Newsline reported.

Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, said the military completed a 200 percent increase in U.S. troops at Anbar. Swannack told a briefing in Baghdad on Tuesday that the increased deployment was also meant to stop infiltration from other Iraqi neighbors, such as Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
But the U.S. presence has not halted the flow of insurgents from Syria. On Monday, the U.S. military said six suspected insurgents were captured near the Syrian border. One of them was later killed when he tried to attack a guard.

Swannack said the U.S. troop presence in Anbar has resulted in reducing the flow of insurgents from Syria. He said Islamic insurgents have launched attacks against the U.S. force near the 500-kilometer Syrian border. But he called the attacks ineffective.

"We are not fighting foreign fighters coming across the border in significant numbers," Swannack said. "We are fighting mostly former regime locals."



nice article.

In my opinon i think this is a smart move.

It will decrease the attacks and death on the US troops.

They should get stricter with these people.



posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm wondering when the US will stop coddling Syria and their terrorist camps and move in for some surgical strikes...



posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hell we should have done that from the start!!




posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I wonder how many more troops they need for a successful strike into Syria.

Of course it could be in conjunction with Israel too.



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
I wonder how many more troops they need for a successful strike into Syria.

Of course it could be in conjunction with Israel too.


Imagine the hell that will break loose in the middle east
if Isreal is involved in any attack against any country
over there.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time!



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Of course it's only a matter of time. War is not warm and fuzzy so we need to stop treating it like it is. All I can say is it's about time we should have done this along time ago.



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
depends on how soon israel wants a nuke up its a$$..



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Buckle up!! It's gonna be a long ride. If memory serves, we're still in Bosnia and in Kosovo. If Iraq becomes a democratic state then, wouldn't that be a perfect place to put Central Command on the war on terror? You'll see alot of long haired joes in steril uniforms.



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dexxy
depends on how soon israel wants a nuke up its a$$..


Want to see what Isreal is facing as far as nukes up their ass? Check this article out. Some may have already seen this from the "China threatens Tiwan" thread
www.joevialls.co.uk...



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Welcome to the 21st century, get ready for the big war its coming in the next 20 years, and pretty much everybody is going to bake!!

life is great!!



posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
"emphasizing the truth in my words
a virtual elimination of the jordanian army when opposing to the palestinians back then occurred, civil war was the main event...the jordianians had a phenomenal ammount of troops wounded.
lets c how the americanos pull this one off
"

wow....talk about biased

ok, taking this down in a less radical point of view, i would have to suggest that it be a really bad idea to move them troops there.
it provokes attacks, therefore causing a war.
not good for the russians either, since there are a lot of negotiations going on right now as to whether russia should start disputing the fact of whether america is going too far or not(this could provoke an uneasy atmosphere).
basically, this is the delta, before the storm occurs.
everything challenges the fact that peace will continue for the U.S
what if bush is reelected ? do u think that can be challenged as a topic in it's essence?? ergo: a civil war occurs?
all i can think of is the next war to come, syria v/s the U.S
looks like the lilliputians will have to do smthng soon, or else gulliver bush will make one claim too many.

peace.


[Edited on 21-11-2003 by Cyrus]



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join