It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALPR - Automatic License Plate Recon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This was sent to me today by a friend in Canada and I ended up finding it on YouTube for everyone to see. This is pretty stunning technology even if it is "big brother" scary.

The implications on crime are incredible. I put this thread in the WoT forum because that is one of the potential uses of the system, especially with the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

I just thought you all might want to see this and comment.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Very nice program.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I took special notice of the very last thing the officer says;

"This (system) is going to revolutionize policing in North America."

That would be from Mexico's southern border to the Arctic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
grammar

[edit on 20/12/06 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yes indeed.
I found out about ALPR about 6 months ago.
It is amazing technology.
3000 Plates an hour.

If I say anything against it I look foolish.
I mean, who doesnt want criminals off the street, right?

I also heard, at around the same time that I found out about ALPR, that the State Police want to start implimenting random roadside drug tests.
It seems that the State Police have done a study and concluded that people who are over the legal limit for drinking usually dont have other drugs in their system, but people who are BELOW the legal limit often times DO have other drugs present in their system. It appears to me to be a case of 'Well, your not too drunk to drive, but we believe there is SOMETHING wrong with you so we will have to test your blood.'

If I say anything against this I look foolish too, right?

Now if I may interject my own personal experiance here.
I admit, I have broke the law in the past.
There was a period of my life a few years back when I couldnt afford car insurance. However, without the ability to drive I would have lost my job.
So I broke the law and drove.
I only drove for about 2 months without insurance, which some of you would say is stupid, but I have never been in an accident so I felt safe. I also ONLY drove to work and back while I was without insurance, not even venturing to the grocery store in my 'illeagal' car.
Had this system been in place then, I would probably have been caught and punished accordingly.

The fact that there is becoming less and less wiggle room with reguards to what you can get away with alarms me, but maybe Im just an alarmist.
Freedom is scary (for some), because people are free to break the laws, but with the increasing laws and technology to enforce these laws, freedom to break the law is becoming a thing of the past.
By 'break the law' I mean driving without insurance, or your seatbelt, or running a redlight when there is nobody else around, or speed (like YOU havent done that at some point).
Yup, America is rapidly becoming the "land of the Free to do what your told" and if you dont do what your told, 'they' will know about it almost instantly.

Good post Zedd, amazingly overlooked.
Good observation masqua. That phrase would have slipped by most people.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
This was sent to me today by a friend in Canada and I ended up finding it on YouTube for everyone to see. This is pretty stunning technology even if it is "big brother" scary.

The implications on crime are incredible. I put this thread in the WoT forum because that is one of the potential uses of the system, especially with the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

I just thought you all might want to see this and comment.

Old news
I nearly went into business with some friends to buy this type og system and sell our services to insurance companies almost two years ago... You basically get paid for driving around, and if the system finds a stolen car or whatnot, you notify the insurance company. I never went for the idea though. A bit to Big Brother'ish for my taste

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Britain has had it for years, It is supposed to tell police if your car has insurance, road tax, Plus if a driver has a criminal record for drugs, weapons their car is automatically tagged and stopped for a search.

new topics

top topics

join