It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Tank!

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by jetsetter

It is just that even in 200x US was trying ILLEGALY TO OBTAIN LEPARDS TECHS..

AS ITS ARMOR IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN M1s..

The Leopard uses conventional spaced armor with ceramic interlayers… it is very inferior to the CHOBHAM ARMOR on the M1 and Challenger.

The Frontal armor on the Leopard II turret can be penetrated by Russian 125mm SABOT rounds… that is why the Germans have had to fit the sloped add on armor to increase it's defences.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bagoose
I think the Leopard 2A6 EX would have to be the one for me.

But, as mentioned previously, Its who has the best situational awareness that will determine the victor...

I vote for the Leopard 2A6 EX due to cost effectiveness.

You can buy 2 L2A6's for every one M1A2...

Of course if your Army is short of money it makes sense to buy the inferior and cheaper product

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by skrip00
is the Black Eagle even going to be built?

Like most Russian pipedreams NO…

The Russians are always GOING to build some super tank, ship, plane… they just never get round to it!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Ask a Frenchman about the best tank and he'll say : Definitely the Leclerc
Ask an American about the best tank : Definitely the M1A2
Ask a Russian : Definitely the T-80 or T90
Ask a Belgian or Finnish : Any tank in the world but ours!

BTW....how come we never see any pictures of destroyed T-80's or T-90's?
Is it because they haven't seen combat yet?
Many are afraid to admit that those particular tanks aren't indestructable?
Shame?
WHAT??

ask an iraqi who has the best tank............oh wait you cant cuz theyre all dead

John/Fulcrum........you know better than this...you really do, and the sad part is that you know that!
If you wanna play with fire, be prepared to be burned back.

I would like to suggest that we all get a grip and get back to normal discussions rather than who # is better and whose isn't!

regards
seekerof

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
As for the debate, western mbts such as the m1a3 (which is in service now), will always win out, all things remaining equal. some might argue that Arena, or shrota (or whatever it is called) will make a russian mbt better, but they forget 2 essential things. 1- these are test systems on prototype and unproduced russian tanks- pipedreams. what happens when the atgm defence runs out of ammo? and not all shots at a russian tank will be atgm... most will be the latest ass kicking DU apfsds-t round which can easily penetrate multiple t-series tanks, as is proven in Iraq, since the M1 series is specificaly designed in an anti tank role.

2. there are more aspects of a tank than its fancy pants non production idea defence systems. tanks are a mix of firepower, mobility and portection, and the M1 series has these in a better quantity than any other tank in the world.

russian tanks burn up real fast when hit with western rounds regardless of conditions. in Iraq it takes multiple RPG hits at close range to the rear of an M1 to even disable it. and thats in urban warfare which is the precise oposit to what the M1 abrams tank was designed for. you show me a production car that can float like a boat and it will get major kudos. same with mbts. a main battle tank that can perform so well, even operating outside its perameters deserves respect, and the title.

Dont forget in those pics shown earlier the destruction was mostly caused by the crews of a crippled tank, not the enemy.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Since the first 80% of the thread is a pile of crap which contains much bragging and almost no serious analysis, I'm going to warn you against the possible future spoilers, so the thread can be kept on topic, despite some Russian prats who could spoil it.

Americans can sleep peacefully, Russians are not coming. Well, you can never be sure, of course, but the chance of restoring the Russian empire is about as good as restoring the Roman empire, so be comforted.

Don't listen to the ruskies, you'll never beat them in discussion because you aren't cheeky enough for that (you should leave this task for me, who is one of their neighbors and thus can't be fooled by their arrogance).

Everybody knows that the Russian industry is absolutely incapable of producing or developing a good and cost-effective car (or tractor, or airliner, or locomotive or even computer). Can such industry which has no or almost no money for developing produce the best firearms, the best military aircrafts, the best tanks, the best SAMs and the best ICBMs in the word simultaneously as they declare??? What does the common sence tell you?

But the difference is that the Russsian don't declare their #ty cars the best in the world because many people buy cars and the bluff will easily be uncovered and ridiculed, but they certainly can evade the uncovering and ridiculing of their bluff (most times that is) when they declare their #ty weapons the best in the world. "If nobody has it, nobody can see how bad it is", that's the logic of the dumb russian soldiery. Just ask yourself why don't the russians rush their "best weapons" into production? Why aren't they able to sell their "superior" novelties to anyone? They sell alot of weapons, but most of them were desingned and many even built in Soviet times. Does that not tell you anything? Use you brains, people!

Oh, but there is a Russian "best" weapon that is available very widely. Guessed what I meant? AK rifles. They are proud of them! Cool, reliable, they say, the best! They say this while civilized world dies laughing. But don't despise the Russians, they are right in their own way. If their army, which consist mainly of wet-footed stinking conscripts who spent more time beating their supposed comrades than firing their scrapeyard guns, had been issued with superbly accurate and powerful FN FALs, for example, guess what would happen? You guessed it right they would broke them in a matter of hours. But now they have the piece of junk that they can (and will) be cocking with their feet rather than hands (don't you, ruskies, dare to say this is not happening in your army) and the weapon will still work as it can, so even the fact its muzzle is leaping in the sky with each round is of no importance to them.

Aslo never ever belive that Russians are patriotic. This is the biggest bull in the world. It wasn't patriotism that made them praise Bin Laden and it's not surely it's not patriotism making them bark about every singe US or NATO military activity. The reason is entirely different - they just HATE americans and, to a lesser extend, their allies. The russians go stark-raving mad at the thoughts of seventies when they were a formidable force that could deal with the US on equal terms, even more so seeing that now most of their (russian) former allies wiped their arses with Russian flag and sent it back to Moscow (and that's not just Eastern Europe that did so, by the way :-DD).

So "patriotic" Russians are no more capable of military analysis than Adolf Hitler was capable of interpretating Talmud, therefore just ignore them.

Back on topic: I don't know (and it's virtually impossible to determine) what tank is the best if by "best" we mean "the most potent". What IS possible to determine is which tank has the best combat record (or at least kill ratio). It seems to be M1A2 (if we are talking about modern tanks).

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
MBTs now a days are all used multirole ones however they all cannot be
i mean for example the Abrams is a magnificent tank when it is about the fire power and armour systems
but it is 68.5 tons that means it is a challenge to third world bridges besides its fuel hanger (needs to be refuelled each 8 hours) makes a problem if the user donot have extreme logistic system

so a tank as Abrams is classified MBT for a country like USA

and i thik that war on iraq was not a test to any tank that have participated in it excepting for the iraqi enigma because simply the range of iraqi tanks did not exced 3000 meters while Abrams range is 4000 meters that means it can hit all of iraqi T-55s T-62s AND t-72S WITH OUT EVEN GETTING IN THERE RANGE

so i think that tanks like M60A3, Ramses-2, T-72, MK-1/2 and modernized Cernturions are the best for infantry support against bunkers and heavy frtifications

Abrams M1A2 , M1A2 , Challengers-2 , LeopardA5 , Leclear , MK-3 ,MK-4
Type-96 , Type-99 and T-90S are the world primary main battle tanks for there fire power and defensive capabilities

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yes the western modern tanks are better than tanks from the 1960's. Oh and a lot of people dont understand that the Iraqi t72's are an export version. T72 Chassis, T55 internals and armor. The US really overestimates their equiptment. Look up on Wikipedia. They say the MIG 35, the newest jet, not even in production, which BOEING frikking compared to the f22, is meh, about as good as an F15. The US ONLY goes to war against weak, underequpped, poor nations with outdated equiptment. The US is too cowardly to even verbally assault an equally armed nation. It's because the US army is designed to rape weak nations and exploit them, and the politicians get all the profit.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The best tank? That's easy: A fish tank!

They rock dude. You can put water in them and a filter.....and FISH! You feed them (not too much as they over-poop the water and make it kill them). You watch them like the wild kingdom. Some will die...others, if group them well, will eat a tank-mate.

Or.....you can empty the tank and dry it and throw a reptile in there. A nice ball python? Or some kind of lizard? Something that requires food from the pet store. Like the ball python....depending on the size, a mouse a week or gerbel per week or one rat per week. That's cool. Watching the poor little rodent walk around without a clue and either get it quick...or, the snake decides to wait a day...or two and that rodent is now shaking and waiting to die. It knows it's over. Just don't take a rat out and make it a pet. Because they actually make cool pets. But, if your friend a month later tosses it into the tank with a hungry python, the python will eat it...and probably not move for two days as the big lump in its belly gets smaller and smaller.......and you have to say goodbye to Ricky the rat or whatever you named him.

But seriously, I hate to see fish in fish tanks. They should be free in whatever water they prefer, not in a tank for our amusement. How would you all like it if giant aliens came down and put you in a tank for their viewing pleasure. There was an old Twilight Zone episode that touched on this subject.

I hate reptiles too....the snake thing happened about 15 years ago and it was a friend's snake. Most certainly NOT mine!!

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SectorGaza

Are you daft, there is such thing as an M-1 A3 because my dad commanded and worked in one. And I'm sure he knows more than you. There is an M1A1 A2 AND A3. You can respond by contacted me via my email

[email protected]

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22   >>

join