It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USN Harpoon Block III

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me when the USN will start to fit it's warships with the Block III Harpoon? I'm trying to figure out the future (anti-ship) capabilities of a USN with R/UGM-109E, Harpoon III, AGM-84K and perhaps NSM.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I found this unclassified BIJ procurement sheet from the program dated January 2006.

The following is contained in the footnotes of the document:

This development effort will lead to a procurement of 400 Harpoon Block III upgrade kits, beginning in FY 2009, that will retrofit existing Harpoon USN missile inventory.
Source (pdf.)

Scroll down to the table contained on page 9 of the document for proposed timelines. It appears ship based mod testing will occur mid second quarter 2008. The proposed retro fitting will begin third quarter 2009

mg

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
And in case you aren't aware, the US Navy uses Block I, not Block II.

The kits are to go from Block I to Block III.

Few people realize that.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
And in case you aren't aware, the US Navy uses Block I, not Block II.

I know, the USN skipped out on the Block II version in favor of putting their funds towards the Block III. And it was the right decision, the Block III offers you more capabilities (even ground strike). Also, the Block III is VLS capable (as is the Block II) so the DDG's that had their Harpoon tubes removed can still use it, and I'm curious if VLS capable subs will be fitted with it.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Blk II is exported ..
to countries like Pakistan if I'm not mistaken?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
yes surely this will also be exported. wats ur doubt. even PN is trying to fit them in their subs too.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
can somebody tell the data for block I,II and III.
wat diff between Exocet n Harpoon??

new topics

top topics

join