I've been following this story for awhile now. It has to do with the CIA fomenting terror in the Philipines. It's the same game used elsewhere to
bring enough pressure to bear on the Philipine government to link with the US and to pass anti-terror legislation.
Q: Why did the White House rescue and hide Michael Meiring, the CIA-linked American "terrorist" bomber now wanted in Mindanao?
A: The Pentagon wants new bases in Asia, and it is killing civilians to get them.
US FAKING TERROR IN PHILIPPINES
Meiring case unmasks covert campaign to justify intervention
By Craig Hanley, October 10, 2002.
Filipino media can't keep up with American spook sightings. Despite official denials, one story from Mindanao will not go away:
American blast victim in Davao tagged as terrorist.
Jun Bersamin, Radio dzMM, September 27, 2002.
DAVAO CITY - The City Prosecution Office on Friday tagged the American victim of an explosion in his hotel room four months ago as a terrorist.
City Prosecutor Raul Bendico said findings from the investigation of the case indicated that Meiring apparently attempted to set up explosives
intended to blow up Evergreen Hotel when the accidental explosion went off, mangling his lower limbs.
Michael Meiring, 65, of California, was rushed to Davao Medical Mission Hospital on May 16 after the blast inside his room at the hotel located on
Ramon Magsaysay Avenue here.
the rest: www.defendsison.be...
Philippines intelligence chief quits
The chief of army intelligence in the Philippines has resigned after last weekend's failed mutiny by 300 soldiers.
Brigadier-General Victor Corpus, who was accused by the mutineers of incompetence and involvement in a bombing campaign, denied the allegations but
said "deep restiveness" remained within the army's officer corps.
President Gloria Arroyo accepted his resignation but asked him to remain in the military.
A spokesman for the Philippines military, Lt Gen Rodolfo Garcia, told the BBC's East Asia Today programme that some of the mutineers' complaints
"Indeed there is corruption and graft in the armed forces. This is something that is a concern," he said.
But he denied the mutineers' claim that General Corpus, together with Defence Secretary Angelo Reyes, staged a series of bomb attacks on the southern
island of Mindanao, which were then blamed on Muslim rebels.
the rest: news.bbc.co.uk...
Philippine defence minister quits
Philippine Defence Secretary Angelo Reyes has resigned, warning of what he calls a well-organised effort by certain forces to bring down the
Mr Reyes' resignation makes him the second senior government casualty since hundreds of renegade soldiers held a mutiny in Manila last month.
Mr Reyes said he hoped his decision would give President Gloria Arroyo a "free hand" to deal with what he described as the continuing threats to
de-stabilise her government.
Ms Arroyo will now take up the defence portfolio herself, her spokesman Ignacio Bunye said.
During the 27 July mutiny, more than 300 soldiers took over part of Manila's financial district for 20 hours.
The mutineers called for the resignation of Mr Reyes, as well as Mrs Arroyo and military intelligence chief Victor Corpus, alleging endemic military
the rest: news.bbc.co.uk...
[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]