It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant squids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Please excuse the posing man

These squids are quite big. But not as big as some reported. Look at mythical pictures. You'll see pictures of massive squids bringing down boats. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The 'Kraken'

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Over the summer there was that big thing over a few "giant" squid found, by name only. No, not nearly as big as legendary ones. But with the ocean as vast and unexplored as it is, I think somewhere around 95% is still unexplored. With so many thousands of species in the relatively shallow water we have explored, I am confident that we will find, if not collosal squid, at least animals larger than any known today. I can't wait! (Yes this was a very uninformative post, but I wanted to get my 2 cents in before people who know what they're talking about join in. I just love the idea of the truely giant squid.)

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Squids are gross lol. As a kid I remember reading tales about squids attacking ships and I was always terrified of them.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

"A French yacht taking part in the Jules Verne round-the-world sailing trophy has been attacked by a giant squid in the mid-Atlantic, its skipper announced by radio link.
"When we saw it behind the boat it must have been seven, eight or nine metres long," he said.
The giant squid, Architeuthis dux, is the world's largest invertebrate and can reach 18 metres in length, but it is also highly elusive, with only about 250 sightings officially recorded -- most of them of dead animals on beaches.

I'd say 18 metres is big enough to categorise the buggers as "giant"!!! The reason they're so elusive though is because they live at great depths - up to 4000 metres deep!!!
I love the tales of their fights with Sperm whales, which are their main predator. When you think of two such massive animals clashing miles down in the ocean your imagination runs wild!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I love to eat Calamari at Benihana.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
there was ads on tv saying that they got a babby!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm very confident we'll find (or videotape) a living Giant squid in a few years. There are already many deep water scientific expeditions going on into deeper and deeper water, many for the sole purpose of finding a giant squid.
I remember the National Geographic special a few years back when they attached a camera to the head of a sperm whale (as sperm whale eat giant squid), but the camera came off somehow before they were able to see anything.
I think it would be incredible to see one alive though. Scientists estimate that with tentacles extended they can measure over 80 feet long!

Oh, and has anyone else heard about the World War 2 squid attack? Apparently, after a US ship was sunk and the survivors were floating in the water, a giant squid supposedly attacked some of the sailors and even ate one. I'm inclined to believe it, as I don't think these sailors would make up a story like that while floating in the middle of the pacific, and many stuck by that story on the deathbeds, giving detailed description of the squid (before much was really known about it).

I'll look for a specific link about the details, but it was quitw intriguing indeed.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I would love to see a giant squid

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
We believe. But if we find it, we'll only kill it

And it may be the only one of its kind. life is beutiful. We'd only destroy it. But it would be good to actually find it. It'd end up in some museum or aquarium. Unhappy. And probably dead. Is this better?

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monk

And it may be the only one of its kind. life is beutiful. We'd only destroy it. But it would be good to actually find it. It'd end up in some museum or aquarium. Unhappy. And probably dead. Is this better?

I really doubt that. First, the Giant Squid lives just about as far away from humanity as possible on this earth, in depths that no human could ever possibly reach, so it's not as though everyday people or tourists are going interact with one. There is no net long enough in the world to come close to reaching the depths that the Gint Squid lives in, so deep sea fishermen wouldn't even be able to reach it.
Second, the ONLY people who really have the means and ability to find a Giant Squid are scientists, and I think it's pretty safe to say that scientists are the most concerned for the welfare and conservation of wildlife of anyone on earth. They would fight vigoursly to defend it.
Finally, the thing can be over 80 feet long!
The best we can do right now is sending small, 10-15 foot submersibles down with videocameras to try and catch a glimpse of the thing. There is simply NO WAY we could "capture" an adult (or even young) Giant Squid in its natural habitat.

I think the Giant Squid's primary concern is the Sperm Whale, at this point. They are much more threatening to the exsistance of squid than huamns.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I could make millions selling giant squid eye clocks.

... I really think that we will find a living giant squid... I just hope that the submersible that finds the GS had some defense mechanism to possibly save themselves if it attacked...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenZeroOne

Originally posted by Monk

I really doubt that. First, the Giant Squid lives just about as far away from humanity as possible on this earth, in depths that no human could ever possibly reach, so it's not as though everyday people or tourists are going interact with one. There is no net long enough in the world to come close to reaching the depths that the Gint Squid lives in, so deep sea fishermen wouldn't even be able to reach it.
Second, the ONLY people who really have the means and ability to find a Giant Squid are scientists, and I think it's pretty safe to say that scientists are the most concerned for the welfare and conservation of wildlife of anyone on earth. They would fight vigoursly to defend it.
Finally, the thing can be over 80 feet long!
The best we can do right now is sending small, 10-15 foot submersibles down with videocameras to try and catch a glimpse of the thing. There is simply NO WAY we could "capture" an adult (or even young) Giant Squid in its natural habitat.

I think the Giant Squid's primary concern is the Sperm Whale, at this point. They are much more threatening to the exsistance of squid than huamns.

in young do you mean "babby" they give birth in mass near the surfece in the same place everyyear,

the discovery channel found this out, sent a team anf found 3 babby's witch are realy,realy small same size as a babby normale squede

but they died, one lived for 1 week.... then they were avertising they got anotherone and it was growing

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 03:47 AM
link   
there is so many thing not yet discovered in the ocean but that doesnt mean things arent there!!!! they found them dead and were still looking for the live ones it just a matter of time and we'll all see

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
this stuff is why i'm so afraid to go in the water!

i don't want to explore any more of the ocean, i don't want to know all the monsters down there!! *hides*

top topics

join