It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Deny ignorance" International Factor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
As it appears the majority of ATS is written and translated by the English language. This raises question to wether or not such an important part of denying ignorance here, is really racial arrogance? We exploit and discuss many topics that are taking place in Western culture whereas we include other ethnicity's. Why hasn't this vast mainstream here reached international, where people of many nations are included with the origin of discussion that originate from exactly where they live? Why hasn't ATS gone international? Racial arrogance? You, tell me.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Yes the United States is a big piece of the pie but It's far from being the only piece.

I'm sure SO could provide more detail.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You can read ATS in any language...all you have to use is Babelfish or something similar.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The Babelfish translator at Alta Vista isn't really all that good. From my own experience at trying to translate with German, French, etc...It's not so bad that I can't at least get the "jist" of it. The biggest problem is that sentence structure doesn't translate well & there's always a few words that don't correspond well when translated.

Babelfish only performs direct word-for-word translation, so there's always the chance that (proverbially speaking) something will get lost in the translation. If the ATS Staff were to, for example, find programming that does full translation with other-language support, they'd still have the problem of making it work in compatibility with the programming that this board uses.

Either way you look at it, there's not a lot of options available for providing language support & it would take a lot of work to implement it. But there's a lot of other people around the world that can use some form of English anyway.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I count 80.7% English speaking countries (not factoring in French speaking Canadians). Which language would be the only available choice? No I don't see any racism. I only see common sense. To try and cater to every language on earth would be impossible. I suspect people who do not read English would not find or know about ATS in an Internet search in their language? Most of the hatred I see here is directed at Americans, Christians and Terrorists in that order. I have not visited many topics and areas of this site yet so my view is limited.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I speak 3 national languages fluently.
I am not American.

I have no problem NOT being able to speak the other two on ATS.
It's not an issue of racial tolerance.
It is an issue of avalibility.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Using only one language could hardly be called racial ignorance. The term 'hardware limitations' comes to mind

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
Why hasn't ATS gone international?

Just because we don't have a large representation from every country doesn't mean that we're not international.

Racial arrogance? You, tell me.

Far from it

top topics

join