It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Index of Logical Fallacies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I thought I'd post this to aid in the proper debating of topics. It's an index of logical fallacies.

www.nizkor.org...

I figured that there were so many instances in debates that I've had where illogical conclusions are being made, but I had no direct way to call them on it. So, for the good of ATS, and it's members, here you go.

RO420

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I'm glad to see this index getting use. Ignorant_ape used it very well in a discussion regarding the existance of Saturn pics here. And I made some use of it here.

I just wanteed to bump this up to help people identify some of the flawed logic that's thrown around this board so easily. It's all part of my quest for an idiot free America.

Deny Ignorance

RO420

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Informal fallacies was one of my favorites areas of study when I was covering logic for my degree. Infinitely useful, and fun, too! I think one of the most important things we can take from studies of informal logic is recognizing it in ourselves and NOT just in others!

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That seems really interesting.

But just to get this straight, that site lists 42 techniques that may be used to make you believe an argument>?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
I think one of the most important things we can take from studies of informal logic is recognizing it in ourselves and NOT just in others!

Good point. I've since been going over recent posts and looking for these logical fallacies in my own points (I've found one or two, and usually past the point where I refuse to accept defeat).

Still, if everyone read it it would be a great step in DI

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thanks for this, im sure that this will come in handy in my engineering course when having to make arguements and to back them up.

top topics

join