It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blown out of Proportion?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
So, I think he is contributing to the divisiveness. I know that others will not agree with me. But I think he is and he has the sanction of others to do so.

S'right. Each and every one of us is against you. We're plotting behind your backs, waiting for you to start picking fights like this. Like you always do. Have to admit, your actiosn leave me unsure whether you want a cross for yourself, or a pillory for everyone else.

Now, I will go off into the sunset and say no more. But no, I don't want anyone's pity.I would rather be left alone.

You've said that about three times on thid thread, and each time you come back and keep picking a fight with Chissler or someone else. Taking shots at someone else is so UNKIND, isn't it?

DE

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, there are others who constantly demanded that my threads be closed like a five year old.

Let this one be an example:Pg. 53

I take offense at it is being said that this is a fit.

I would rather take this as an official protest.

Now I really will say no more so that this thread will get back on par.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006I would rather take this as an official protest.Now I really will say no more so that this thread will get back on par.

Psst...that's what the complaint button is for.

DE

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Well, there are others who constantly demanded that my threads be closed like a five year old. Let this one be an example:Pg. 53

So now you drag me into your drama? How KIND of you.

From what you can see obviously I did not DEMAND that your thread be closed. I was very joyful at the thought that it would finally DIE. It was diseased and deserved death.

But hey .. if you want us all to start derailing this thread ... we can all find post after post of your insults and examples of your 'kindness' ....

Poor chissler ... sorry about your thread ...

Edited to add ... gee, I thought you weren't coming back Ceci .. yet another broken promise that you'd not come back ... you do that on a lot of threads you know ..

[edit on 10/18/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That is another thread, another story and is not involved with you attacking this thread... I tihnk you are missing the point entirely.

Lets back up. Your thread got closed because of your message, that you where apparently not conducting it properly.

You then decide it was Chrisslers fault so you.. went to his thread which you claim is a better replication of your own.. and you demand it closed.

In the act of kindness of course.

And now your mad becaue no one saw it the same way you did.. no one wants this thread closed only yours.

Now you post another thread where members asked it be closed.

Personally.. I would step back and see why every one is so openly hostil towards you.. only you.. is it the people reading the post... or the poster?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I believe we are taking a very small percentage of our membership that create this problem, and blowing it out of proportion.

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I'd like to say that this is classic "squeaky wheel gets the grease" syndrome. 87% of people can be going along just fine, being respectful, agreeing to disagree, speaking passionately (sometimes with a little anger) but getting back on track, working out misunderstandings and so on. But there's that pesky 13% who troll, bait, flame and so on, and they're the ones everyone concentrates on...

Oh, dear me! ATS has gone downhill! People are mean! We need to change the way ATS operates before it's too late! What about the children?!?!?!

And I say Bah!
This is the ONLY board on the Internet like this! This is the only place where I can speak my mind and, as long as I obey the T&C, I don't get a bunch of crap. I was sick to death of being told "That was a little harsh, BH, Please think about others' feelings as you discuss your political views."

Why? If people get their "feelings hurt" because I don't support the war in Iraq, or because I think GW Bush is worthless, that's not my problem! It's not a personal attack!

Either that or there is no moderation or T&C to speak of and it's a free-for-all of name calling and crap slinging (no offense MM
)

But when I came here, I was free to really voice my opinion without having to worry about how everyone else feels about my opinion - and without having to be called names and be sworn at endlessly. That's why I'm here! It's the heaven in the middle! The best of both worlds!

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I think this is a total meltdown situation ... seriously ... Chissler needs his thread back ... any mods out there want to give this back to chissler ...

[edit on 10/18/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It is our fault.

We are feeding the trolls.

There is no reasoning here.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
*cough*

I hope some of you realise you are NOT helping by even addressing this stuff. Replying is just as off topic and disruptive as the original comments.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Um .. sorry. I fell off my 'dont' feed the trolls' wagon.

I'll go do some penance ...

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Gosh Flyersfan... you obviously need to read the "Be Kind Thread" ...

Your penance can be to write "I will not feed trolls" 500 times till it sinks in!

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Like sands in the hourglass...so are the posts on Board Business & Questions.

Okay, drama is over. Everybody please, back to the ORIGINAL topic. Can ATS really be made better, or is it just fine the way it is?

[edit on 2006-10-18 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ok enough with the baiting posts.

Here is the opening post of this thread , any further comments should be on topic.

-----------------------------------------------

Originally posted by chissler
I do hesistate to create this thread, as we have had too many of them already.

But with all this talk of behaviour on ATS as of late, I need to ask if this being completely blown out of proportion?

Is ATS all that bad?

I have visited other message boards where they constantly cuss each other out and use derogatory remarks on a regular basis. And it actually goes unpunished.

Here on ATS, we have a staff that enforces the Terms & Conditions which keeps our discussions inline. Some people step out of line, but they are dealt with accordingly. Dealt with behind closed doors, as it should be.

Calls for public executions have caught my attention, and confused me. Why would we fill our boards with this drama?

I believe we are taking a very small percentage of our membership that create this problem, and blowing it out of proportion.

So many threads lately have been set out to change ATS. Creation of forums, behaviour of members, even think I seen the staff get called out in a post or two, and for what? What is so wrong?

The creation of forums is not a negative influence on ATS. If there is a strong desire for the Forum, than I am all for its creation. WCIP mentioned it in a post today, he asked why would we create a forum when no threads exist on it? Why build a basketball court when nobody is playing basketball. (Well Said) So members who want to create a forum, should be willing to work. Not just post ideas and never look back.

It needs to be said,

ATS is GREAT the way it is!

Don't change a damn thing. Allow the trolls in the front door, and even give them a second chance if they flub initially. Continue to permit heated discussions and the possibility of members getting offended. It makes for great discussion. This is a discussion board, right?

[edit on 18-10-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

ATS is GREAT the way it is!

I second the motion. Leave it alone.

Isn't that funny, I just heard on TV that they're tryin' to ban the game of TAG! What's the world coming to? Peoples skin's gettin' too thin.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
[size=10]YES

Runs off to give self one line warn.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well, I walked away from ATS for awhile to clear my thoughts & I would of bet the mortgage payment that this thread was going to be closed when I returned. My hats off to the members & staff for keeping this one on track. Things should not get personal.

It should be clear that this thread was not in response to any specific member or thread. In the last week or two, we have seen a lot of threads & posts pertaining to the overhaul of ATS. Members expressing their concerns that the way we behave, or the way the staff run the site, needs to be adjusted. I was left scratching my head, and strongly disagreed. With all of the talk against ATS, and the talk for change, I felt it would be smarter to create a thread where members could discuss why they thought ATS should remain the way it is rather than hijack another members thread.

Thats not very dramatic, is it?

One issue that was in the forefront was the term CTer. I have noticed a lot of members becoming insulted and frustrated when other members use this term. I can not understand why though.

Why is that insulting?

Critical Thinkers are considered conspiracy theorists. Isn't that a compliment? Even if a member is attempting an insult, understand the true message of the words and take it as a compliment.

--

Posted by Benevolent Heretic

Why? If people get their "feelings hurt" because I don't support the war in Iraq, or because I think GW Bush is worthless, that's not my problem! It's not a personal attack!

This is my new strategy on certain issues. My posts are going to consist of, What she said!

It all comes back to the ability of agreeing to disagree. Another member and I have had a disagreement. Cooler heads prevailed and I still respect the member. I don't think it is a mutual feeling but hey, I can sleep at night. ATS is not about myself, or any other member. Threads should not be about two people who can not get past their ego's. We all have the problem where we can not swallow our pride and let something go, we have to have our voices heard. It is human nature, but we need to add a few layers of skin and let these comments bounce off us.

My opinions should not hurt someone else, and your opinions should not hurt me. If they do, one of us is doing something wrong.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I disagree. Passion is a positive emotion in debating, anger is not. Anger will only cloud your judgment, making you seek out information to support your argument, ignoring that which doesn't, and will make you unwilling to concede when you are wrong. I can debate passionately with friends, but rarely get angry, and those debates are always the most productive and entertaining.

I just got back and read your response. Sorry if I'm killing the flow of the thread now.

I don't often get angry, really, as much as frustrated. However, I also am a pretty good judge of when I am angry, and what I am capable of. This is of course, more personal, in the fact that we all react differently. I just find the most therapeutic method for myself in the even that I do get angry is to go research the subject more deeply. Usually that takes me a while before I get back, and I have had time to cool off, and re-assess the situation to make a better judgment call.

Overall, I really do think that ATS is doing well. Of course there are times when we think of things to change, and that is usually covered in one of these threads, or a complaint/suggestion can be sent in. As we evolve, so must ATS. That I'm all for.

Just wanted to clear what I said up, a little, though.

Thought of something that makes me always put things in perspective for myself that works. "Turning poison into medicine" which I think really answers a lot of the problems here. Buddhism obviously paid off.

[edit on 10/18/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
My experiances on other boards tells me that ATS is far superior to the others. I'd say don't change a thing. Maybe a little less drama queening/kinging, but other than that, it's cool just the way it is.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
WOW,

What a GREAT Read, especially before beddy by..

Lets think for a moment...

So I post, reply or open a thread that hurts some feelings, or for "GOODNESS" sake, makes someone mad.....

GREAT!!!!! A Response, a true, honest to goodness, emotional reaction to something that I also feel strongly about!!!!

How cool is that??? Even if it is a response that is negative to my way of thinking, at least it is/was interesting enough to respond to.

Don't you think that we are worrying a little too much about how any "one or two" people feel about any specific topic? I support the President, no big secret, many on here do not, including BH. Yet BH and myself have been able to post on that very topic and others, even without agreeing, and continue to maintain a mutually respectful friendship. I TRULY respect her, her opinions and her person. I DON'T CARE WHAT SHE BELIEVES..... As long as she believes in something passionately enough to discuss it with me.

So we hurt someone's feelings.... Sooooo Sorry....

If anyone has SUCH a drama issue about getting their feelings hurt, maybe ATS is NOT the place for them. This is a FORUM/DEBATE/CONSPIRACY/POLITICS site after all.

ATS is EXACTLY PERFECT and requires no fixing, no tweaking and no "fiddling with at all....
The MODS do a GREAT job (My Brown nose for the night)
The Members are intelligent and passionate......

And I get my feelings hurt about once a week...

That's what I call a GREAT EXPERIENCE...

Semper

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Amen, semper...nighty-night.

A little honest emotion is a good thing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join