It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cha Ching ACLU Sues on Behalf of Nurse Over obscene Bumper-Sticker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It would appear once again the ACLU has had a windfall lawsuit dropped in its hands thanks to a GA Nurse who got a ticket for allegedly displaying an obscene bumper sticker no less.

CNN.Com

A woman who was ticketed for having an obscene anti-Bush bumper sticker filed a lawsuit in federal court Monday against a county in the state of Georgia and its officials.

Denise Grier, 47, of Athens, Georgia, got a $100 ticket in March after a DeKalb County police officer spotted the bumper sticker, which read "I'm Tired Of All The BUSH**."

A DeKalb judge threw out the ticket in April because the state's lewd decal law that formed the basis for the ticket was ruled unconstitutional in 1990. (Watch to see what else Grier glued to her car -- 1:36)

Grier is seeking damages from the county for "emotional distress," according to the lawsuit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The CNN story has a video of the bumper sticker (censored version) on their website. See source link.

Now for those doubting Tom's wondering why this is a windfall for the ACLU and a loss for the taxpayers! The law under which the ticket was issued has been ruled unconstitutional not one, not two, but five times.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ok, what's with the angry face? Are you mad at the ACLU for defending people's rights or at GA for fining a woman under a law that is unconstitutional?

Anyways, this is America, freedom of speech!

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is America and that was freedom of speech. She shouldn't have been ticketed.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoorahUSMC
Ok, what's with the angry face? Are you mad at the ACLU for defending people's rights or at GA for fining a woman under a law that is unconstitutional?

No not for the freedom of speech issue, I dislike them for taking a ridiculous lawsuit to trial over a none issue. Our court system is already full of needless cases and this is one of them.

Where is the emotional distress? We all get mad over any kind of ticket yet we either pay it or contest it, but we certainly do not sue the government especially if the charges had already been dropped.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I actually agree with shots. Their was no issue once the ticket was dropped. Emotional stress? Poor lady having to think about paying a $100 ticket? Give me a break. Parking tickets in DC are $100. Yup, just for parking in the wrong spot....sometimes inches past the sign.

Personal experience. I parked along the street next to my apartment building at 6:28 according my watch. The sign says no parking until 6:30. I got a hundred dollar ticket and the timestamp on the ticket said 6:29.....do I get to sue the government now for stress induced?

new topics

top topics

join