It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyer Of Terrorist May Get 30 Years In Prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Lawyer, Lynne Stewart, is going to a federal court to find out if she will get the maxiumum 30 year sentence. She is being charged with aiding a terrorist in 1995. She aided him by being his lawyer and fighting for his innocence even though he was guilty. If she is convicted, at her age of 67, it will be a life sentence for her.

abclocal.go.com
Civil rights lawyer Lynne Stewart faced the prospect of spending the rest of her life behind bars when she arrived at federal court in Lower Manhattan to be sentenced on terror charges Monday.

The judge decides at 10 a.m. this morning if the 67-year-old lawyer should join her former client behind bars for enabling him to communicate with his followers. Prosecutors asked for the maximum sentence of 30 years in prison, effectively sending her to prison for the rest of her life.

Stewart was convicted in February 2005 of providing material support to terrorists. She had released a statement by Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, who she represented at his 1995 trial and who was sentenced to life in prison for plots to blow up five city landmarks and assassinate Egypt's president.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, I guess lawyers need to be carefully, they may end up doing their job right. If I recall isn't a defense lawyer SUPPOSE to fight in your defense? Well I guess if we deem him terrorist that his lawyer shouldn't defend him.

Thats a load of bull as far as Im concerned. She isn't a terrorist, she is a lady that did her job. Defense Lawyers are suppose to defend their clients, end of story. Sending her away for the rest of her life is doing nothing. This shows the clear abuse of the anti terror laws now in effect. A case from 1995 is being brought up to bring the down fall of a civil rights lawyer.

Related News Links:
www.chron.com

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
As you said, here's one clear case of abuse, another one. With the recent suspension of Habeas Corpus, we won't hear about cases of abuse because they won't have trials, no lawyer either. And with this abuse, who will now try to defend a presumed terrorist if he even have a trial? Nobody.

Please, vote against anyone who is against the constitution! The terrorists are not the immediate threat, the present government is. Who killed the most people? Terrorists or the government? Who ended the american way of life? The government. Who abuse their citizens? Government. Who are using people money to put it in their own pockets? Government. Ect.... ect...ect...

United States of Oceania.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Right that's enough!

This world is CRAZY!! This is PURE INSANITY !!

Give me the number of that Judge - seems like TPTB need a most thorough talkin to ...

or will the judge get a stretch if he pardons the Lawyer ??

Which way is UP again ... somebody please remind me ...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I don't think the problem here is that she was the lawjer of a terrorist, but that she passed certain messages from her client on to his people.

No matter though, this conviction would cause a presedent in US Court that'll open pandora's box and the breakdown of the US Legal system.

The Whitehouse already has assigned itself the power to listen in to Lawjer/Client conversations. If they can now also convict lawjers for representing their clients, there are just no words to describe the hellhole they'll open with this.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Stewart was convicted in February 2005 of providing material support to terrorists.

What is the definition of this????

Are they saying she gave info to other terrorists, or just provided the basic skills required by a lawyer unto their client?

I'm hoping there is more to the story, something to justify these actions.

Can we now try lawyers if they get a convicted killer/pedophile/rapist ( you get the drift ) off of their charges. NO.

Maybe if they re-offend, and hurt another person? NO

But mention terrorism and all bets are off.

As I said, the article does not provide all the information in the case, I just hope there is more to justify what the crime is.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
10AM is passed... no? Can someone update to see if she's convicted? And as someone said earlier, if she's convicted, she opened a big pandora box... And this pandora box is full of abuse, violations of rights and torture.

providing material support : Maybe she's supported a terrorist by defending him in court?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yeah, I think she was convicted and it was the right thing to do. She was passing messages from her client to his terrorist group. That's not the job of a lawyer, that's the job of a terrorist.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
"No matter though, this conviction would cause a presedent in US Court that'll open pandora's box and the breakdown of the US Legal system."

How?
This isn't about what she did as a lawyer!
She took it on herself to aid know terrorists, that's what it's about.

"Maybe she's supported a terrorist by defending him in court?"
Maybe she just broke the law?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yeah, I think she was convicted and it was the right thing to do. She was passing messages from her client to his terrorist group. That's not the job of a lawyer, that's the job of a terrorist.

Would that be messages to his FAMILY.

Who are labelled terrorists because of the fact that he was charged with terrorist offence ... this noose is extremely adjustable . .. one size fits the whole planet.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Exactly, a person accused of anything have to right to speak with his family by the link of his lawyer. So even if he was accused of terrorism, a very large-meaning word, he still have the right to speak to his family.

Maybe she just broke the law?: Maybe the law is too extensive and stupid? Do you support the Patriot Act? The military commission Act? These laws are unconstitutionnals, don't matter if they are law or not, if it's a unconstitutional law and abusing law, you have the right and the duty to not respect it.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
"Would that be messages to his FAMILY. " ? I don't understand where does it say his family? It say known terrorist.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Attorneys are supposed to be advocates for criminal defendants, no accomplices.

This woman clearly crossed the line. It was her duty to do everything in her power, within the boundaries of the law, to defend the accused and to continue to defend and support him after his conviction.

That does not, however, mean that she is required to facilitate the furtherance of the defendants crimes. What she did was no different that carrying an order for "a hit" from an imprisoned mob boss to one of his capos. BTW, she has defended mob bosses in the past, as well as dometic terrorist groups like the Weather Underground and the Black Panthers, so she ought to have known better.

I bet she realizes now that this is not a game to be played in such a cavalier manner....I wonder how many more acts of terrorist, resulting in deaths and injuries, may have occurred because of her actions, and I wonder if she cares??

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Does it identify these "known terrorists"? (Nope)
Does it show that these "known terrorists" have been convicted and proven to known terrorists? (nope)
Does it show what exactly she passed on? (Nope)
Does it show how she passed on? (partialy yes, aparantly they were press releases, which aren't illegal)
Does it show to who she passed information? (partialy yes, she passed information to the press)

Before blindly condemning her because you read that she passed information to terrorists, first investigate the actual facts about this case.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As his lawyer, he obviously wasnt convicted of anything yet. So if she passed information she did so while he was still -not guilty- therefore how could she have passed information from a known terrorist? Dont you need to be convicted of that first?

Like someone else said. If she is convicted, then god help all defense lawyers, because they are screwwww ed.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Lawyer, Lynne Stewart, is going to a federal court to find out if she will get the maxiumum 30 year sentence. She is being charged with aiding a terrorist in 1995. She aided him by being his lawyer and fighting for his innocence even though he was guilty.

You know, if you are going to give us your opinion on something, its best not to lie about the facts of the case.

She's not being charged with 'defending an evil-doer'. She became part of his terrorist network by knowingly passing on information from him to his cronies to carry out attacks. Hopefully she'll spend the rest of her life in jail.

If you want to talk about an innocent guy who was just doing his job and got screwed for it, talk about the military lawyer for the gitmo detainees who was passed over for promotion because of it. But not this waste of a person.

xephon
So if she passed information she did so while he was still -not guilty-

So, everyone in al-qaida is actually innocent of being a terrorist, because they weren't convicted while carrying out their plans???

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
She became part of his terrorist network by knowingly passing on information from him to his cronies to carry out attacks.

Care to quote where you are getting this information?

Hopefully she'll spend the rest of her life in jail.

Also, did she know what she was passing on? There's more to this story than we know I'm sure but to pass judgment so fast?

I also find this interesting.

Stewart's former paralegal, Ahmed Abdel Sattar, was sentenced to 24 years in prison. Sattar was convicted of plotting to kill people in a foreign country for writing a paper urging the murder of Jews.

Also awaiting sentencing is Stewart's translator, Mohammed Yousry. He was convicted of material support for terrorism.

I didn't know that you can go to jail for writting a paper urging murder? Why aren't all members of the KKK in jail? Because they're not Muslim?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
As his lawyer, he obviously wasnt convicted of anything yet.

That really is not the point though is it? Lawyers are bound by law to do whatever it takes to defend their client but that does not give them the right to break another law while doing so.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Stewart's former paralegal, Ahmed Abdel Sattar, was sentenced to 24 years in prison. Sattar was convicted of plotting to kill people in a foreign country for writing a paper urging the murder of Jews.

I didn't know that you can go to jail for writting a paper urging murder?

He was convicted for PLOTTING to kill Jews. Obviously the paper contained the plot or conspiracy if you will to carry the plan out.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm no lawyer so let me know if I'm wrong. I wasn't aware that plotting to kill anyone was a jailable offense. If I state in anger "I hope you die" to someone...will the thought police come and take me away?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
I'm no lawyer so let me know if I'm wrong. I wasn't aware that plotting to kill anyone was a jailable offense.

It sure is and not only in the US, it applies in others country's as well. it is the very same as a conspiracy to kill someone. The words plot and conspiracy are interchangeable

Four arrested for plotting to kill

19 Haaitian officers arrested

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join